What's Up At Christof's

christof

Got a new project-pen:

49430661403_e2926d029d_o.jpg

This is a beatiful and huge italian Ancora lever filler from the 1940's (146mm when closed!!).

Unfortunately, the original nib is defect, so this is also the begining of a long an difficult search for a replacement nib, an Ancora 14 carats Nr. 5...

Will come back to this topic in a couple of years when I found one...

C.

Edited by christof

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I lately took three pen of different manunfacturers to the studio to take a picture comparison:

49478203876_251afd66c7_o.jpg
Pelikan PK 30, 1966-1968
Lamy 68, 1971-82
Parker Arrow 45, 1964-?
All of them were made during the same era and shows the same design features:
- tapered and cut of ends
- semi-hooded nib as a design attribute
- plastic body, plastic cap with molded-in tapered cap lip
- the same design attribute where the cap connects to the body (I call this the half and half solution: the diameter of the cap is half integrated into the body and applies half to the body)
...just details, but this is what I find interesting. (Sorry that I'm boring you.)
C.
Edited by christof

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, I miss my Pelikan MK now :wub:

Don't worry, you're never boring us! I take in every single detail you write!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Lovely pictures above. I do like the Parker 45 style and if these pens came back with a slightly wider barrel I would love to purchase a new 2020 style special release.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Christof said:

All of them were made during the same era and shows the same design features:
- tapered and cut of ends
- semi-hooded nib as a design attribute
- plastic body, plastic cap with molded-in tapered cap lip
- the same design attribute where the cap connects to the body (I call this the half and half solution: the diameter of the cap is half integrated into the body and applies half to the body)
And the same features show up on Kaweco and Montblancs of the era. Were all the companies using the same designers? Or was there maybe rationalization of the production facilities? It's very striking.
R.
Edited by ralfstc

And the same features show up on Kaweco and Montblancs of the era.
Were all the companies using the same designers?

The Sheaffer Imperial I was similar too...but I rather think it was the design-spirit of that time.

C.

Edited by christof

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new project-pen:

49430661403_e2926d029d_o.jpg

This is a beautiful and huge italian Ancora lever filler from the 1940's (146mm when closed!!).

Unfortunately, the original nib is defect, so this is also the begining of a long an difficult search for a replacement nib, an Ancora 14 carats Nr. 5...

Will come back to this topic in a couple of years when I found one...

C.

Here I am again. The search was much faster than expected, thanks to the help of Tom Westerich. And here is the pen:

49636411902_8edb36e7d0_o.jpg
the nib writes like a dream!
49636523422_e0161fab9e_o.jpg
But the really cool thing is the size of the pen. It is really BIG. That's why I took a picture for comparison with my other "black giants":
49636522877_6463a0917a_o.jpg
from left to right: Montblanc Meisterstück 138, Parker Duofold Senior pencil and pen, Ancora, Osmia Supra Extra and Conklin Endura OS.
The Ancora isn't only the largest, it is also of great quality. For example the celluloid: no shrinkage but tank solid walls and material. The clip: spring loaded! But also the nib is finest quality, smooth, soft and juicy.
Really a cool pen! More of such please...
C.
Edited by christof

Here I am again. The search was much faster than expected, thanks to the help of Tom Westerich. And here is the pen:

49636411902_8edb36e7d0_o.jpg

the nib writes like a dream!

49636523422_e0161fab9e_o.jpg

But the really cool thing is the size of the pen. It is really BIG. That's why I took a picture for comparison with my other "black giants":

49636522877_6463a0917a_o.jpg

from left to right: Montblanc Meisterstück 138, Parker Duofold Senior pencil and pen, Ancora, Osmia Supra Extra and Conklin Endura OS.

The Ancora isn't only the largest, it is also of great quality. For example the celluloid: no shrinkage but tank solid walls and material. The clip: spring loaded! But also the nib is finest quality, smooth, soft and juicy.

Really a cool pen! More of such please...

C.

Spectacular!

• 3 weeks later...

newly arrived.

more pictures coming soon!

C.

Best photos I've seen so far...all three look great to my eyes. Really looking forward to getting these.

Thanks for posting.

newly arrived:

49705435166_8ab8667797_o.jpg

49705730522_b636fb9986_o.jpg

more pictures coming soon!

C.

Very nice! I particularly like the mango one. Might have to try the mango ink out too...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the virus - but it's called "pokettopen" (ポケットペン) !

49748875573_ae280b0665_o.jpgPilot Pocket Pens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49750018797_2ec3d4b17c_o.jpgPilot Pocket Pens _ by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49749447177_ce3bb376db_o.jpgPilot Myu striped by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49749175883_2fe258d70c_o.jpgPilot and Elite by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49750045832_9fc93f3b24_o.jpgPilot and Elite - by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49748577338_426647ed09_o.jpgPilot Elite Steel by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49749447062_086f09f28e_o.jpgPilot Myu by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49685499398_508b25b2ec_o.jpgPilot Elite Victorinox Army 91 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

More about these cool pens on Richard Binders (since decades) excellent site:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/pocket_pens.htm

...let's see what's next!

C.

Edited by christof

Christof, what's your story? I am sure it's in here somewhere but 82 pages ...... Did I read that you curate a pen museum?

Yes, I understand. There should be a way to index the main posts somehow...

But the beginning of the story can be found here:

...here

...here:

and here:

there are probably much more posts about, since it's an ongoing process. I am still working as a volunteer on the collection of writing instruments, which is part of the design collection and it is my goal to transfer and integrate my private collection into the Museums collection.

But this is a lot of work to do, restoring, documenting, photographing etc... and will take a couple of years.

C.

Edited by christof