Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the kind words D.C.

I can assure you that this thread is not yet dead :) I am still alive and interested in pens and pen community.

But we have summer time here and things are going a little bit slower that usual. Also, I am currently working a lot on the museum project (exhibition opens 2018) and another private project about LAMY 27 (will be published soon here).

And btw, I give myself the pleasure to pick the one and other nice pencil (my newest passion). Here some examples:

But let's see what's next....

C.

Christof,

I am glad to see that your interest continues. And now even includes pencils.

Like you, I did not appreciate mechanical pencils in earlier days. My change came with the acquisition of some lovely Mabie Todd sets a few years ago. No photos at present, maybe later.

All the best,

D.C.

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

My apologies for the double post.

Edited by D.C. in PA

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

Thank you again D.C.

Just to make this clear: It was never my intention (nor the intention of this thread) that other people than me need to engage or entertain this thread with contributions or content. This is my job. I started the thread to entertain you.

(Of course, from time to time, I'm glad to see informations and pictures of others when matching to the topic, but there is no compulsion to...)

Just enjoy and be patient with me. As already said, sometimes things are going a little bit slower...
C.

Thank you for the kind words D.C.

I can assure you that this thread is not yet dead :) I am still alive and interested in pens and pen community.

But we have summer time here and things are going a little bit slower that usual. Also, I am currently working a lot on the museum project (exhibition opens 2018) and another private project about LAMY 27 (will be published soon here).

And btw, I give myself the pleasure to pick the one and other nice pencil (my newest passion). Here some examples:

late Pelikan 100N/250

Waterman's 0852V and pencil

Pelikan 100 and AUCH Pelikan 200

Rotring 900 FP and MP set

But let's see what's next....

C.

Hello Christof!

Nice pictures.

Great to see that you are managing the summer & this thread with new posts.

Keep it up!

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Hello,

I'm wondering if you know anything about the Osmia 64? I have read the wiki page but I wonder if the 64 is just tied to a model size like how MB has the 100, 200, and 300 series. Thanks.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

After some time, some work, some investigations, some help of my friends and some drawing and sketching work comes the result of our joint research about thte Lamy 27:

34784046054_23b5ee9d35_o.jpg

Because it would have been and endless and impossible task to get all the variants to the photo studio, I decided to illustrate by sketches.

For a full size view, click on the picture or download the image in full resolution under this link:

https://flic.kr/p/UZKk2Y

35238771880_ba5c7df8ed_o.jpg

Hope you will like it and let's see what's next...

C.

Edited by christof

After some time, some work, some investigations, some help of my friends and some drawing and sketching work comes the result of our joint research about thte Lamy 27:

Hope you will like it and let's see what's next...

C.

Christof!

What a magnificent piece of research and documentation of the Lamy 27. I am interested in the history of the Lamys from the break-away Parker salesman in the 30s through the breakaway son in the 60s. What classics they have produced.

Thanks to you and to your colleagues.

Here are two ads and my 27 - 30 model from the 1962 release with the distinctive L in a circle added to the jewel on the crown. It has that classic style, perhaps augmented a bit following the original release in 1952. The nib is a joy with a pleasant flex for easy cursive handwriting. The pangram translation into German is for amusement.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/P1040205_zpsourtv5ar.jpg

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOcE9FgJZZEp1541Cvv6wM7HL9kKgCQmSuCSnQ4

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the image directly on this page.)

Again, what a valuable piece of work, Christof!

Best,

Dick

I had no idea there were so many variants of the 27.

I really like the way you grouped them into major and minor differences (your Unofficial Numbering column).

I hope there is some text planned to accompany the diagram. There is enough information here to get it published in one of the pen magazines if you wanted.

Very nice work,

-Randy (Otter1)

Wow! That's not just a well researched and useful piece of pen history - it's a really beautiful drawing.

In France every bakery has its preferred wrapping for baguettes, and one of them has little 19c engraviings of bread, cakes, gingerbread moulds, rolling pins... If I had a pen shop I would want this lovely drawing for my wrapping paper!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• 2 weeks later...

Christof,

One of the prettiest pen things I have seen in a good while. Thank you. I love the Lamy pens from this era.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

There are pens which are of a certain interest to me, not because I want to own or ad them to my collection, but because I am curios in a technical point of view. The very first examples of Montblancs 149 made in resin are such pens for example. I always wanted to inspect the friction fit piston mechanism on a real object.

That's why I did not hesitate when I got the oportunity to catch one on an estate sale. I started disassembling immediately when I got home. At first, the whole pen went to utrasonic cleaner until I was able to remove the nib unit. Then, the inside of the barrel was cleaned. (I did not move the piston until the barrel was clean to prevent any damages to the seal due to dried ink.) Then, I gently warmed the barrel with a hair dryer. After this I was able to pull the whole mechanics, similar to Pelikan 400 from 1950's. And this is how it looks:

35586620100_5a3b67d846_o.jpg

Because I will resell this, I took pictures of all the parts seperately for documentation.

35135891994_421923ef5c_o.jpg

On the backside of the nib is a strange imprint. The number 23 and a sign of which I don't know its meaning but which I have seen on older 1950's Montblancs already.

35586621110_7fc1d29bb9_o.jpg

35934414596_2bbdce45fc_o.jpg

After this I reassembled the pen, filled it with black Quink and started to test...

35805134922_7c9f5fd29b_o.jpg

35975824565_38503169b2_o.jpg

What a nib!!

Here's a picture of the whole and huge pen:

35165688423_695a2b7196_o.jpg

According to this thread, my pen is from ca. 1965:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/170282-dating-montblanc-149s/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1716240

C.

Edited by christof

Hi Christoph,

That's a really nice pen, congratulations !

The friction-fit of the filler in the barrel is sometimes rather tight, more like a light press fit in my experience

This makes it sometimes very difficult to get the filler out.

Glad reading your filler came out rather easy, well done !

Never seen such markings at the inside nib end, very intriguing…

Enjoy !

Francis

Yes, fantastic pen all round. How broad is that nib, the photos make it look like it is a BBB. I am a sucker for big nibs and if I were not saving for a trip in the fall I'd be interested in this pen. Anyway, very nice work, from your pics it looks like the pen is in excellent condition for being over 50 years old. Thanks as always for the demo, as always, I learned something.

Looks like a BB or OBB, similar vintage to my first 149.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.