S.t.dupont

Soer

I have the Defi, Elysee, and Olympio.

I love the duponts and I do not think any pen compares to them. They all flawless. The writing is smooth.

The Defi is my favorite.

Dear Sir,

I just purchased (its on his way ) a S.T.Dupont Elysee Fountain pen medium nib, do you think its the right choice, whats your opinion??? (you have one)

I don't have any info on this pen.

I think it is a great choice. The Elysee just feels perfect in the hands. Very nice wieght to it.

Yeah, I got it yesterday and its a beauty and writes like heaven, smoooooooth with only one flaw, the pocket-clip is wobbly :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: it moves left to right and I am gonna sent it back.

For such a expensive pen it should be perfect, am I wrong.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soer

• jar

• airborne18th

• sexauerw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the duponts and I do not think any pen compares to them. They all flawless. The writing is smooth.

The Defi is my favorite.

Dear Sir,

I just purchased (its on his way ) a S.T.Dupont Elysee Fountain pen medium nib, do you think its the right choice, whats your opinion??? (you have one)

I think it is a great choice. The Elysee just feels perfect in the hands. Very nice wieght to it.

Yeah, I got it yesterday and its a beauty and writes like heaven, smoooooooth with only one flaw, the pocket-clip is wobbly :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: it moves left to right and I am gonna sent it back.

The clip is spring loaded and yes, does move right to left.

My Website

The Defi is my favorite.

Dear Sir,

The clip is spring loaded and yes, does move right to left.

Thank you for your response. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Seriously should it be like that wobbly or do I have a faulty pen.(this is my first S.T.Dupont Elysee)

Edited by Soer

Thank you for your response. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Seriously should it be like that wobbly or do I have a faulty pen.(this is my first S.T.Dupont Elysee)

I don't know. Does it hold securely in your pocket?

Edited by jar

My Website

Soer,

The clip is designed to do that. If you notice when you put a load on the spring it stops wobbling. This is the only Dupont I have that has a spring loaded clip and it is one of design improvements over the Olympio. It is actually a design improvement over other brands with spring loaded clips. It allows for the clip to lock on at an angle without bending the clip, and it also will clamp on to a thicker surface... My Nettuino has a spring loaded clip, but it does not give left to right, and it bends.

One of the other improvements is that the cap will freely turn when the pen is closed without unscrewing the body, and it will also keep the body from falling off when it is closed.

The inside of the cap actually has alot of working parts, and is probably one of the major new features of the Elysee over the Olympio. If you look inside the cap with a light, there is a metal triangle type structure, this will not wear out. The defi uses clips on the body to lock the cap to the body of the pen, which I assume will wear out over time.

Yes it is different, but it is by design.

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!

Soer,

The clip is designed to do that. If you notice when you put a load on the spring it stops wobbling. This is the only Dupont I have that has a spring loaded clip and it is one of design improvements over the Olympio. It is actually a design improvement over other brands with spring loaded clips. It allows for the clip to lock on at an angle without bending the clip, and it also will clamp on to a thicker surface... My Nettuino has a spring loaded clip, but it does not give left to right, and it bends.

One of the other improvements is that the cap will freely turn when the pen is closed without unscrewing the body, and it will also keep the body from falling off when it is closed.

The inside of the cap actually has alot of working parts, and is probably one of the major new features of the Elysee over the Olympio. If you look inside the cap with a light, there is a metal triangle type structure, this will not wear out. The defi uses clips on the body to lock the cap to the body of the pen, which I assume will wear out over time.

Thank you AIRBORNE18th :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

You answered all those questions that I had. (its like a revelation):thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Especially about the cap the clip that was also a issue for me and you cleared it for me.

Yes and it stays firm in my pocket.

I can't thank you enough for you help.

I was about to return the pen.

Soer,

Thank you AIRBORNE18th :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

You answered all those questions that I had. (its like a revelation):thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Especially about the cap the clip that was also a issue for me and you cleared it for me.

Just FYI.

ST Dupont has long used spring loaded clips. The Olympio/Orpheo clip is spring loaded and hinged at the top. The Ellipsis uses a tuned spring under the clip much like what is used on the Ligne 2 lighters.

My Website

Jar,

Thanks. My experience with Dupont is limited to the few I own. So I assumed it was new territory for the dupont

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Soer,

Glad I could help, and I apologize for not responding to this earlier. I actually wish the Defi had a clip like this instead of the firm clip it does have. And no matter which Dupont you own, Defi, Olympio, Elysee,, they are all very smooth. And now you will judge every other pen you touch with the Elysee.

I do own alot of pens, and when I show people the pens, the one that catches their eye and they want to touch is this pen. I always find it interesting, because I own alot of very artistic Italian pens, but it is always the Elysee. ( before that it was the Olympio ). People like the Defi, but it just looks too thin.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only add one pen to jar's nice collection, a D.Link. But here is my S. T. Dupont collection. All are excellent pens and I'm sure I won't be able to resist adding more to this collection in the future.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/DupontCollection-1.jpg

From left to right there are:

• Three extra-large Orpheos
  • One large Orpheo
  • One medium Orpheo
  • Two Fidelios
  • One D.Link
  • One Montparnasse
  • One Gatsby
  • One Classique

A very nice collection of S.t Duponts, do you know where I can find a montparnasse ad an Orpheo in those same colours?

These are my S.T. Dupont pens. Still waiting for the Elysée (I wanted to buy the blue & rose gold one but it was gone last time I went to the shop :'( and a Montparnasse that should be arriving in the mail next week.)

http://i.imgur.com/I68fv.jpg

Edited by olivier78860

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I can only add one pen to jar's nice collection, a D.Link. But here is my S. T. Dupont collection. All are excellent pens and I'm sure I won't be able to resist adding more to this collection in the future.

A very nice collection of S.t Duponts, do you know where I can find a montparnasse ad an Orpheo in those same colours?

Sorry, I can't be a whole lot of help on that. This collection represents probably ten years of patiently watching for S. T. Dupont pens to show up for sale on the classifieds here on FPN and on the Green Board on Pentrace. A couple came from the Zoss list and I bought one at the LA Pen Show and one from Pendemonium. Only one was purchased new, the very first one I bought. All the rest were previously owned. It just takes time and patience to build a collection like this.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Sorry, I can't be a whole lot of help on that. This collection represents probably ten years of patiently watching for S. T. Dupont pens to show up for sale on the classifieds here on FPN and on the Green Board on Pentrace. A couple came from the Zoss list and I bought one at the LA Pen Show and one from Pendemonium. Only one was purchased new, the very first one I bought. All the rest were previously owned. It just takes time and patience to build a collection like this.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look out for them

• 1 month later...

I am the proud and happy owner of 3 ST Dupont pens. The 4th one is on its way. They are not only beautifully made, with very high quality and attention to details, but also very smooth writers, right out of the box, buttery and silky smooth.

1) Amber colour Montparnasse medium size Chairman pen, with 18K fine nib, screw-on cap.

2) Extra large Vertigo II, serial number 389/400, with 18K medium nib, snap-on cap.

3) Extra large Opus X, serial number 162/400, with 18K medium nib, snap-on cap.

4) Extra large Forest Green Montparnasse, with 18K nib (on its way), screw-on cap.

I don't have gorilla hands but I like writing with the extra large pens more. I find them well balanced, writing unposted. I also prefer the medium nibs more than the fine nib. The medium nibs are smoother, I find. As far as the caps are concerned, I like the snap-on ones more but I have no issues with the screw-on ones. I just like the wonderful, patented "click" sound when the cap is snapped on.

Here are some photos.

post-83563-0-39038800-1345244101.jpg

post-83563-0-20457100-1345244231.jpg

post-83563-0-26346400-1345244259.jpg

post-83563-0-19849000-1345244296.jpg

Edited by iveyman

I have the Carbon Defi! It has got to be one of the coolest pens in the market and built impeccably too. One problem is that it has ZERO flex. This thing writes like a very smooth nail.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in another thread, but figured to toss it out here because of the interest.

What are anyone's thoughts on the Carbon fiber pen? I've just purchased a Defi Carbon Fiber, it writes well but feels really light. I'm not a huge fan of using cartidges, but love the look. I'm also more familiar with thicker pens. I'm merely looking for validation on the purchase, I'm definitely glad to see that someone else also enjoys the look!

- J

• 2 years later...

Unfortunatley I'am not able to upload any pictures.

Don't know if I'm too stupid or if I have to ask an admin to give me permission.

Anyway, thank you for psoting such great pictures and comments.

I have only made very good experiences with ST Dupont pens, except "FIDELIO".

That one doesn't fit properly in my hand and I also don't like the nib at alle.

For my personal writing exprience the "Ellipsis" with a medium nib is THE St Dupont pen.

I also use Classique, Gatsby (old and new), Olympio (normal und large), Montparnasse and even Lady (which writes superbly) and some other editions, but for me Ellipsis tops them all.

• 3 weeks later...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/DupontCollection-1.jpg

From left to right there are:

• Three extra-large Orpheos
  • One large Orpheo
  • One medium Orpheo
  • Two Fidelios
  • One D.Link
  • One Montparnasse
  • One Gatsby
  • One Classique

I have two S.T. Dupont pens. One is of the style called the Gatsby in the above photo. When I bought it in 1988 it was called "La Plume Ultime." It is lacquered in a blue finish called Ocean. The other is in the large Montparnasse style, bought in 1991, but in the Chairman lacquer finish. My question regards converters and cartridges for these pens. The original converters were of plastic with a rough finish, and the ink stays in the top of the converter (with the nib pointing down), thereby making the pen run dry (it also leaks). I am trying to replace these with a different converter that will function properly, but my understanding is that the newer Dupont pens use converters and cartridges with a smaller opening that will not fit the older models. I have found cartridges in the old style for my wife to use in the Gatsby--she doesn't care about ink--but I would like to use bottled ink in the Montparnasse. Would a Parker converter work well?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have two S.T. Dupont pens. One is of the style called the Gatsby in the above photo. When I bought it in 1988 it was called "La Plume Ultime." It is lacquered in a blue finish called Ocean. The other is in the large Montparnasse style, bought in 1991, but in the Chairman lacquer finish. My question regards converters and cartridges for these pens. The original converters were of plastic with a rough finish, and the ink stays in the top of the converter (with the nib pointing down), thereby making the pen run dry (it also leaks). I am trying to replace these with a different converter that will function properly, but my understanding is that the newer Dupont pens use converters and cartridges with a smaller opening that will not fit the older models. I have found cartridges in the old style for my wife to use in the Gatsby--she doesn't care about ink--but I would like to use bottled ink in the Montparnasse. Would a Parker converter work well?

Yes, Parker converters and cartridges work just fine for the Classique, Lady. Gatsby and Montparnasse lines as will Aurora cartridges and converters. The change to international standard starts with the Ellipsis and runs through ST Germain, Fidelio, Orpheo/Olympio, Neo Classique and current models.

My Website

• 3 weeks later...

I own this S.T. Dupont Olympio Xl Fountain Pen Black Mother Of Pearl- which is just beautiful in the metal (please excuse the iPhone pic) and a Fidelio ballpoint in black Chinese lacquerpost-69277-0-92187800-1420287343_thumb.jpg