S.t.dupont

Soer

My Favourite web-shop started -from today- selling S.T.Dupont pens, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the Dupont fountain pens.

Looks very cool,but I was wondering how the nibs are performing.

I was looking at the Liberté line but the Défi also interest me. :puddle:

Can I get some info form you folks, thanks :thumbup:

P.S. Some say its better than Montblanc, is it true???

Or exaggerated.

Edited by Soer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soer

• jar

• airborne18th

• sexauerw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two of them and they are a delight to write with. The best one is a Defi in carbon fiber with a medium nib. Whao! what a pen.

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

I have quite a few ST Duponts but neither of those models. However, over the two dozen or so ST Duponts I do have, every nib is a joy to use and the pens are utterly reliable.

My Website

I have the Defi, Elysee, and Olympio.

I love the duponts and I do not think any pen compares to them. They all flawless. The writing is smooth.

The Defi is my favorite.

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!

• 1 month later...

I love the duponts and I do not think any pen compares to them. They all flawless. The writing is smooth.

The Defi is my favorite.

Dear Sir,

I just purchased (its on his way ) a S.T.Dupont Elysee Fountain pen medium nib, do you think its the right choice, whats your opinion??? (you have one)

I don't have any info on this pen.

I have tested a S.T. Dupont Elysée in F. The nib is very smooth and it offers a slight variation (up to M). Otherwise, I have 3 S.T. Dupont: a Classique, a Fidélio, a Défi, and a couple of ballpoints (2 Classique from different periods, and a gold plated Fidelio). I offered a Liberty ballpoint to my girlfriend. I'm thinking about buying an Elysée too.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all of exquisite quality.

It's my opinion, but compared to Montblanc, Dupont offers more than plastic for the body, for a far better price, and the nibs (which they also make themselves) are of comparable quality and smoothness.

I don't know about the aftersales service: I never had to use it ;) (and I think that's good like this).

Edited by olivier78860

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I have tested a S.T. Dupont Elysée in F. The nib is very smooth and it offers a slight variation (up to M). Otherwise, I have 3 S.T. Dupont: a Classique, a Fidélio, a Défi, and a couple of ballpoints (2 Classique from different periods, and a gold plated Fidelio). I offered a Liberty ballpoint to my girlfriend. I'm thinking about buying an Elysée too.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all of exquisite quality.

It's my opinion, but compared to Montblanc, Dupont offers more than plastic for the body, for a far better price, and the nibs (which they also make themselves) are of comparable quality and smoothness.

I don't know about the aftersales service: I never had to use it ;) (and I think that's good like this).

Thanks my dear fellow for your response :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

I have three Orpheos and must say they are among the finest pens that I have ever owned. Nibs were perfect from the get go. As far as the MB comparison goes, that is personal preference. I have about a dozen MD's, including 10 of the WEs, and must say that overall the Duponts are better pens, at least for me.

I will admit that to begin with I had a couple of reservations about Dupont. I had always preferred screw on caps instead of snap caps and preferred piston fillers over cartridge/converters. Dupont helped my get past both of these hangups. Great pens, work horses for me.

P1030291.JPG

P1030509.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I have three Orpheos and must say they are among the finest pens that I have ever owned. Nibs were perfect from the get go. As far as the MB comparison goes, that is personal preference. I have about a dozen MD's, including 10 of the WEs, and must say that overall the Duponts are better pens, at least for me.

I will admit that to begin with I had a couple of reservations about Dupont. I had always preferred screw on caps instead of snap caps and preferred piston fillers over cartridge/converters. Dupont helped my get past both of these hangups. Great pens, work horses for me.

P1030291.JPG

P1030509.JPG

Thanks for your response and the beautiful pictures. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And yes, the snap-on cap was also a issue for me and the converter :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: , screw on cap was my preferred choice

Edited by Soer

Thanks for your response and the beautiful pictures. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And yes, the snap-on cap was also a issue for me and the converter :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: , screw on cap was my preferred choice

So if you prefer screw on caps, consider the ST Dupont Montparnasse.

http://www.fototime.com/8485CC03DC12255/standard.jpg

My Website

So if you prefer screw on caps, consider the ST Dupont Montparnasse.

http://www.fototime.com/8485CC03DC12255/standard.jpg

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Since you may be new to the ST Dupont range of pens, maybe a family portrait will help show styles, sizes and variety. Here is a basic family portrait.

http://www.fototime.com/FB19E08F336F692/large.jpg

From left to right;

• the Classique series that came in a variety of section and nib styles. All are slim and have a snap on cap.
  • a Standard size Gatsby, a unique design where the pen is actually held by the barrel and the section is internal that has a cap that snaps into instead of over the section.
  • a Standard size Montparnasse next to an X-L Montparnasse. This is the only ST Dupont so far with a screw on cap.

All of the above pens use the Parker standard cartridge/converter.

Next we move into the modern ST Dupont era.

• an Ellipsis which returned to the snap cap and switched to the International standard cartridge/converter that ST Dupont uses even today.
  • a Fidelio
  • a Standard size Olympio/Orpheo (the name varied from market to market)
  • an X-L Olympio/Orpheo

I hope this helps. There is also an X-L size Gatsby and the Neo-Classique which I have not shown above.

Edited by jar

My Website

Since you may be new to the ST Dupont range of pens, maybe a family portrait will help show styles, sizes and variety. Here is a basic family portrait.

http://www.fototime.com/FB19E08F336F692/large.jpg

From left to right;

• the Classique series that came in a variety of section and nib styles. All are slim and have a snap on cap.
  • a Standard size Gatsby, a unique design where the pen is actually held by the barrel and the section is internal that has a cap that snaps into instead of over the section.
  • a Standard size Montparnasse next to an X-L Montparnasse. This is the only ST Dupont so far with a screw on cap.

All of the above pens use the Parker standard cartridge/converter.

Next we move into the modern ST Dupont era.

• an Ellipsis which returned to the snap cap and switched to the International standard cartridge/converter that ST Dupont uses even today.
  • a Fidelio
  • a Standard size Olympio/Orpheo (the name varied from market to market)
  • an X-L Olympio/Orpheo

I hope this helps. There is also an X-L size Gatsby and the Neo-Classique which I have not shown above.

Thank you :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: for your "family portrait" their all gorgeous :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Edited by Soer

I can only add one pen to jar's nice collection, a D.Link. But here is my S. T. Dupont collection. All are excellent pens and I'm sure I won't be able to resist adding more to this collection in the future.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/DupontCollection-1.jpg

From left to right there are:

• Three extra-large Orpheos
  • One large Orpheo
  • One medium Orpheo
  • Two Fidelios
  • One D.Link
  • One Montparnasse
  • One Gatsby
  • One Classique

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I can only add one pen to jar's nice collection, a D.Link. But here is my S. T. Dupont collection. All are excellent pens and I'm sure I won't be able to resist adding more to this collection in the future.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/DupontCollection-1.jpg

From left to right there are:

• Three extra-large Orpheos
  • One large Orpheo
  • One medium Orpheo
  • Two Fidelios
  • One D.Link
  • One Montparnasse
  • One Gatsby
  • One Classique

Thank you sir, :thumbup:

Their beautiful and I am speechless. :cloud9:

I have several S.T. Dupont's ranging from limited edition to older Classiques. No Montparnasse, as what drives me to S.T. Dupont is the click on closing. Each is a prize. I like a fine--but wet line. I find the medium nib a little too wide for my tastes. Unfortunately, their recent pens tend to be variations on the theme of black lacquer and gold or silver trim. This is unfortunate considering that they have in the past produced some outstanding variety of colors.

If your looking to save money, most dealers will come down from the list by 20%--but talk to them. I believe the company is very strict on advertised price. Alternatively, you can looking the secondary market. I've gotten several pens there, but be advised the pen may need some attention to the nibs. Be positive there is no damage to the lacquer. My understanding is that it cannot be repaired. Every pen I've gotten on the secondary market was a markedly improved writer after the attention of a nibmeister.

Sexauerw: I love your blue Guilloché Fidelios. Great photography.

P.S.

Can someone produce a good, short, how to photograph pens instruction book?

The photography is really pretty basic. The only trick is the fancy tripod. That lets me shoot straight down on the pens from a short distance where I can use the macro setting on the camera, which is a Nikon Coolpix S9100. (Already obsolete and replaced first by the S9200 and now by the S9300. And it's less than a year old.) I use the light from the window behind me and set the camera on a ten-second delay so that I can get out of the way of the daylight. No flash and no room lights are on. Exposure is slow but who cares, the camera is on a tripod.

Sometimes when I feel like getting fancy I borrow my wife's Nikon D90 DSLR and put the 40mm Micro-Nikkor lens on it. It's not really any sharper than the Coolpix but there's a lot less distortion. In the photo of the Duponts in the previous post, all of the clips on the pens were facing straight up except for the one on the far right, which got turned a bit in toward the left when I dusted the pens prior to shooting. But you can see the clips on the rightmost pens in the photo facing more and more to the right as the pens are located more to the right. And the last pen which was actually turned to the left looks like it's level. All of that effect is distortion due to the short distance between the camera and the subject and the short focal length setting of the zoom lens on the Coolpix. With the D90 and the fixed 40mm lens I set the tripod higher and most of that goes away. The fully automatic Coolpix has no manual settings at all and the setup shown is the only one that I have found where I can even get the pens in focus, so that's the one I use. It's a great camera for vacation pictures but no-so-great for studio use.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/TripodSetup1.jpg

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Thanks for the wonderful review. My Olympio in 14K Nib is in the way. This will replace

my Sheaffer Legacy that I dropped-dead. Presently 2 Mont Blancs & a Sailor Clear are in

rotation-all true to reputation.

I have one, a silver Fidelio and believe it is a superb fountain pen and have recently taken it out of archives. It is a joy to use.

The Defi is my favorite.

Dear Sir,

I just purchased (its on his way ) a S.T.Dupont Elysee Fountain pen medium nib, do you think its the right choice, whats your opinion??? (you have one)

I don't have any info on this pen.

I think it is a great choice. The Elysee just feels perfect in the hands. Very nice wieght to it.

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!