Pilot Custom 74 Review

imadeadend

Pilot Custom 74 Review

Pilot is a company that many consider to be the brand when it comes to pens across the spectrum, for good reason. They produce a huge amount of low end, school-level pens and pencils such as the Hi Tec C, FriXion, and G2, as well as higher end fountain pens, including the Vanishing Point, and this, the Custom 74.

The Custom 74 is the base model of the Custom series, with such pens as the Heritage 91, Custom 743, and the superb Custom 823 rounding off what is quite an exceptional and unique line of pens. Each sports gold nibs in a variety of widths and sizes, and a good range of filling systems, from C/C, to piston and vac fillers.

The look is a classic/modern mix. The clips are reminiscent of vintage Parker Big Red pens with a triangular shape terminating with a round sphere, and the trim is sparse but detailed, bringing the understated look of a modern business pen. It is difficult to understand, then, why many Japanese pen makers 40+ years ago were making a wide variety pocket style pens that sport, what some would say, a more modern, engineered look much like today's Lamy pens (such as the MYU and Murex pens), and then today they begin making pens that look more like vintage western-style pens. A quick search on the bay for vintage Pilot pens brings a huge amount of these pocket fountain pens, and a search for vintage Sailors yields the same.

I bought the Custom 74 after reading about the 823. I wanted a pen that would write and feel like the flagship 823, but without the hefty price tag. Enter the Custom 74. I opted for the fine nibbed version in bordeaux, and, impressed with how fine and smooth it wrote, went on to buy two more: a second bordeaux 74 with a BB nib, and a black one with an FM (fine-medium) nib. Today I will review each of these pens side-by-side.

Please note that I will add a note where I have deducted any points so you can get a clear idea of where my points scheme comes in.

Presentation and Included Accessories (6/10)

fpn_1336280813__photo_5-6.jpg

The Custom 74 comes in a box rather unlike those from Sailor and Platinum. The light grey outer box is cardboard, and sports a gold embossed Pilot logo on the upper face. The box opens easily from one end, and out slides a rather cheap feeling, hard plastic box with a matte black finish (-2). Opening the box the cheap feeling is replicated somewhat, with a thin felt carpet that holds the pen and a fabric inner part of the lid with a golden Pilot logo (-1).

fpn_1336280970__photo_3-11.jpg

Underneath the carpeting is an included CON-50 (piston) converter, and a black Pilot cartridge, and a general instructions manual. This is pretty standard fare when it comes to accessories , but I wish they would have done a bit more to spruce up the box (-1). However, I will say that this leads me to believe that more of the price is used on the quality of the pen, and in the end that's what really matters.

fpn_1336281018__photo_4-9.jpg

First Impressions (8.5/10)

fpn_1336281119__photo_2-10.jpg

Opening the box for the first time, I was gobsmacked by the sheer size of the pen. The size capped is about 145mm (approx 5.5 inches), with the body coming in at 126mm (almost 5 inches) the cap at 65mm (just under 2.5 inches) coming together for a total posted length of 166mm (6.25 inches). A monstrous pen for people with small hands, and a really comfortable size for my hands (mine measure around 7 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger).

fpn_1336294388__photo_2-12.jpg

Subjectively, the weight is well suited, if not a tad light, for the size. It's noticeably lighter than my Sailor Sapporo Standard, and comparable in weight to a gold cap Parker 51. Posting the pen makes it a little top heavy, but if you forgo the CON-50 converter and buy a CON-70 (push button filler) the pen is much more balanced (makes me wonder why they didn't just include a CON-70) (-1). They are also compatible with the CON-20 aerometric converter.

fpn_1336281275__photo_1-11.jpg

The look, as I said before, is high end, business-like much like a Mont Blanc. The finish is a solid, glossy plastic with no difference in colour across the pen. The black is very black, and the bordeaux is more maroon with a touch of wine red. I really like the look of the bordeaux and it has actually allowed me to see the beauty of pens in this colour. Since then I have ordered a Sailor 1911 in a very similar colour (which I will review soon too).

fpn_1336281385__photo_5-5.jpg

The trim is gold plated, with a ring where the clip meets the cap, and one just above the cap band. The band reads "* PILOT MADE IN JAPAN * CUSTOM 74" and is more like a gold ring that is flush with the pen, with another, narrower gold ring on top of it which is engraved.

fpn_1336281446__photo_4-8.jpg

The clip is an upside down triangle with a ball on the end and has "PILOT" printed vertically at the top. The clip is a little stiff (-0.5), but a little push gets it onto jeans pockets with relative ease. Business shirts and jackets are also relatively easy to clip on to. The final pieces of trim are on the bottom of the pen body and around the neck of the nib section just above the threads.

fpn_1336293816__photo_1-13.jpg

The cap posts very securely with very little play, and it latches on to the gold ring at the back so the body finish is left untarnished. The cap is removed after 1 and 3/4 turns on the threads.

One thing I did notice is that the black version appears to have a lighter gold colour on the trim to the two bordeaux pens. I don't know if this was intentional or is a factory fault, but I actually really like it!

fpn_1336281737__photo_3-9.jpg

The pen is very comfortable in the hand (posted or unposted) and the grip section is about 20mm long, perfect for me, and arches up slightly at the end so your fingers don't slip onto the nib. Overall a very nice looking, comfortable pen.

fpn_1336281626__photo_4-7.jpg

Nib & Feed (7.5/10)

The Custom 74 sports a nib of the same quality as other pens in the Custom series. It is a #5 size (small compared to the larger #15 nib on the Custom 823), which is a little bit small, but well suited to the width of the pen. All nibs in the Custom range are 14k gold I believe, with a few having white rhodium plated nibs and trim. The Custom 74 has a yellow gold coloured nib that is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.

fpn_1336294489__photo_1-10.jpg

Engraved on the surface is a very nice scroll pattern inside a solid lined perimeter. Within that it says "PILOT 14K585 5 <F>", with the 14K585 indicating 14k gold, the 5 underneath that being the size of the nib, and the F indicating nib width. At the very base of the nib it has a number that is different on each of mine (eg the fine nib says 611, the fine-medium says 1111) and I don't know what this indicates.

fpn_1336294571__photo_2-9.jpg

The feed itself is dark grey with a little transparency to it. After pulling it out I was a little surprised at how short the feed is on these pens, shorter than the Pilot 78G's.

The nibs are very true to Japanese sizes, with the F being particularly fine and the FM being a little more wide as expected. The BB is a monster, pushing out very impressive, bold lines.

fpn_1336294679__photo-2.jpg

Now one issue I have had with every one of these pens is that out of the box they are pretty awful flow wise (-2). I have found that a few others on this forum have experienced the same issues as I have, with downstrokes being okay, but left/right strokes being dry and vertical strokes being literally non-existent on the finer nibs, and the BB having quite jagged, inconsistent edges to the line. I often test a pen's flow by gripping the end with two fingers and sliding the nib across a page, seeing if it can write under its own weight. They didn't do well at this test.

After a lot of tweaking I finally found a solution. Because the downstrokes were great (where the tines are slightly flexed), I put this down to a nib problem, and not a feed issue. To fix this I had to open the nib's flow a bit:

2. Place the pen on a surface and hold it nib up, with the nib facing away or towards you
  3. Take the pen and grip the nib shoulders between two fingers on the left and right
  4. Use your thumbs to push on the top surface of the nib, essentially "flattening" the nib a bit
  5. Check that the tines are aligned
  6. Try writing with the pen, if it isn't satisfactory then repeat the process

What this does is separate the tines a little so the flow opens up. After does this with each of the pens (including the BB) the flow was exceptional in any direction. Not only that, but the pens also passed the no pressure test.

fpn_1336294742__photo_2-8.jpg

Once the pens were properly configured I could judge the quality of the nibs. Now, despite the super fine line that the fine puts down, the smoothness is there in droves. This is one of the smoothest fine nibs I have tried, even when I compare it to thicker Western fine nibs. There is a hint of tooth the let you know you have contact with the paper, but there is never any catching, scratching, or inconsistency in the feeling of the nib in all directions.

The fine-medium is thicker by comparison as expected, and works just as well, with the same hint of tooth and uniform feeling.

The double broad is a dream, smoother than most of the pens in my collection. I wouldn't use this pen every day, but when I want a broad, beautiful line this will be the one I reach for.

fpn_1336294777__photo_3-8.jpg

fpn_1336294904__photo_1-9.jpg

fpn_1336294950__photo_5-3.jpg

All of the nibs have a lovely spring to them, and flex only slightly under pressure. Even with my light hand, I get a tiny bit of width and flow increase on downstrokes, making these very fun pens to use that give nice character to the writing, and bringing along some nice shading with many inks.

After tweaking, these pens really show what they're made of and are extremely comfortable to write with in long sessions.

The feeds keep up extremely well, albeit not as well as Sailor or Platinum feeds (-0.5). Super fast swipes across a page give way to some slight skipping, but during normal writing the flow is consistently good.

fpn_1336295082__photo1-2.jpg

BB, MF, F close up

Conclusion (9/10)

fpn_1336295237__photo_3-10.jpg

There is a reason why, after purchasing my first Custom 74, I went and bought two more. These are cheap pens with a very expensive feel. The nibs are amazing, though only after some tweaking (-1), and the looks and comfort match pens in the 200+ dollar range.

fpn_1336295288__photo_1-12.jpg

These retail for about $160USD, but you'd be a fool to pay that much. I got each of mine for about $80 including postage from eBay, and they pop up all the time in auctions from sellers such as engeika. Buy it now prices start at $90 on the bay. I own the black and bordeaux versions, but I have seen solid dark blue versions, and of course there are many transparent demonstrators in clear, purple, blue, smoke, and other colours. For that price, I highly recommend picking a Custom 74 (or three) to add to your collection. You won't be disappointed!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• imadeadend

• hari317

• amateriat

• LYTH

Nice review. I have both bordeaux and black 74s, never noticed the plating color difference, I will have to pull one out to check.

Also explore the 742. I find the 742 more comfortable for my purposes, even better than the 743.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review. I have both bordeaux and black 74s, never noticed the plating color difference, I will have to pull one out to check.

Also explore the 742. I find the 742 more comfortable for my purposes, even better than the 743.

Best

Hari

I've been meaning to ask this, what's the difference between the 74, 742 and 743?

There's a vast price gap between them!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

I've been meaning to ask this, what's the difference between the 74, 742 and 743?

Size, this blog has all the answers: link

My march 2009 attempt at a comparison between the 742 and 743 and making a case for the 742: link

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Size, this blog has all the answers: link

My march 2009 attempt at a comparison between the 742 and 743 and making a case for the 742: link

Hari

Thanks for those links :) So there's really no difference at all with regards to writing feel between the 742 and 743. Interesting!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

So there's really no difference at all with regards to writing feel between the 742 and 743. Interesting!

IMO, there is indeed a difference in feel due to the physical nib sizes, but like everything else YMMV.

Thanks for the in depth review of a great pen. I have the same pens with somewhat different experiences that I have described in these pages. To sum up the <C> cosu (course)-is this your BB?-nib is freaking awesome. I have that nib on a black version that is actually a deep red like MB and Pelikan black. The broad nib on my burgundy is magical and the pen is a work of art. Like a dope I just sold a clear demonstrator with broad nib. That nib was also fantastic, but the pen was more finicky about ink. Pilot actually designs their pens around their inks, not the other way around. With iroshizuku inks the clear one was super. None needed adjustments. All feel a little cheap with hard plastic. My 823 is a differnt beast. Different plastic, different nib, different filiing mechanism. For the price nothing, nothing, no pen beats is on quality or writing experience. For example, it is 1/2 or less the price of a MB 146, and it is twice the pen. Love my MBs, but Pilots are an exceptional value. Just wish the <SU> or stub nibbed 823 would come to these shores, I would buy one, or three, in a femtosecond. Enjoy your pens!

Edited by jandrese

Thanks for the in depth review of a great pen. I have the same pens with somewhat different experiences that I have described in these pages. To sum up the <C> cosu (course)-is this your BB?-nib is freaking awesome. I have that nib on a black version that is actually a deep red like MB and Pelikan black. The broad nib on my burgundy is magical and the pen is a work of art. Like a dope I just sold a clear demonstrator with broad nib. That nib was also fantastic, but the pen was more finicky about ink. Pilot actually designs their pens around their inks, not the other way around. With iroshizuku inks the clear one was super. None needed adjustments. All feel a little cheap with hard plastic. My 823 is a differnt beast. Different plastic, different nib, different filiing mechanism. For the price nothing, nothing, no pen beats is on quality or writing experience. For example, it is 1/2 or less the price of a MB 146, and it is twice the pen. Love my MBs, but Pilots are an exceptional value. Just wish the <SU> or stub nibbed 823 would come to these shores, I would buy one, or three, in a femtosecond. Enjoy your pens!

Thanks for the comments :)

I didn't even know they made a BB nibbed version until I got mine. It is BB (as stated on the nib) and maybe the cosu is a different nib all together? Unless it is just a re-labeled cosu nib?

Awesome review! Beautiful photos.

Thanks Shawn :)

Visit my blog Pentorium!

It is BB (as stated on the nib) and maybe the cosu is a different nib all together? Unless it is just a re-labeled cosu nib?

The Cosu/Cors/C/Coarse is an altogether different nib. It is wider than BB and is monoline(the grind is circular).

It is BB (as stated on the nib) and maybe the cosu is a different nib all together? Unless it is just a re-labeled cosu nib?

The Cosu/Cors/C/Coarse is an altogether different nib. It is wider than BB and is monoline(the grind is circular).

Once again Hari your knowledge on these pens knows no bounds, thank you!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

Very informative review.

FWIW: I purchased my Custom 74 demonstrator (clear), B nib, from a B&M shop (FPH, in fact). The thing wrote fabulously straight from the box. Yes, I paid $160 for it, but it did come standard with the CON-70 converter, which to my mind is the only way to go with this pen. Your experience with the nib on your pen got me to wondering about the sourcing of these pens online, and whether there might be varying QC issues between at least some of the online-sourced pens and those brought through official distribution channels. Not saying I know anything here, I'm just throwing the question out there, as well as offering my own experience.

I do sort of regard the 74 as the 823's little brother, and it makes for a great second pen to it. Switching between them is relatively seamless, even though the 823's more substantial size is fairly obvious, though hardly in a negative way (again, to my hands at least). I can plainly state that I've never enjoyed writing with a pen as I have with these.

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

Very informative review.

FWIW: I purchased my Custom 74 demonstrator (clear), B nib, from a B&M shop (FPH, in fact). The thing wrote fabulously straight from the box. Yes, I paid $160 for it, but it did come standard with the CON-70 converter, which to my mind is the only way to go with this pen. Your experience with the nib on your pen got me to wondering about the sourcing of these pens online, and whether there might by varying QC issues between at least some of the online-sourced pens and those brought through official distribution channels. Not saying I know anything here, I'm just throwing the question out there, as well as offering my own experience.

I do sort of regard the 74 as the 823's little brother, and it makes for a great second pen to it. Switching between them is relatively seamless, even though the 823's more substantial size is fairly obvious, though hardly in a negative way (again, to my hands at least). I can plainly state that I've never enjoyed writing with a pen as i have with these.

- Barrett

Thanks for the comments!

Judging from your experience, and the video that Brian Goulet posted about his 74 blue demo, perhaps the demonstrator versions come with con-70 converters as standard?

I'm jealous of your 823!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one of these from a FPN-er last Dec with a modified 0.9mm stub nib. It's a joy to write with and never leaves my pen case.

nice review, i really wish the BB/Cu nib is available on most Pilot Customs

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Great review!

On my 74 I find the combination of general smoothness with just the slightest amount of tooth to, more than anything else I can think of, mimic the feel of a Parker Vacumatic. In other words, more of a vintage pen feel to me. It is easier to write script than with most pens I own. M nib.

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Nice review.

I agree they are good pens. I have the Bordeaux in medium. I wish I had purchased fine though. I recently bought an 823 in fine. It is my absolute favourite. In fact, it has killed any desire to buy any new pens.

It is difficult to understand, then, why many Japanese pen makers 40+ years ago were making a wide variety pocket style pens that sport, what some would say, a more modern, engineered look much like today's Lamy pens (such as the MYU and Murex pens), and then today they begin making pens that look more like vintage western-style pens.

One explanation is that the customers have made their choice. They prefer pens that look like archetypes of pens. Pen companies make more what sells and phase out what doesn't sell.

Another explanation is that pens like the MYU are not profitable. They don't sell at prices high enough to compensate for the higher cost of making them. Traditional shapes are more cost effective.

Great review and beautiful pictures, thank you.

I use my Custom 823 most days of the week and can't imagine being without it. Pilot are definitely top dog (for the moment) in my book.

The Llama is a woolly sort of fleecy hairy goat, with an indolent expression and an undulating throat; like an unsuccessful literary man.

― Hilaire Belloc

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png