Noodler's Konrad

USMCMom

Pen Review: Noodler's Konrad - Roaring 20's Brown Tort

Ink: Platinum Earth Brown

I chose the "Roaring 20's Brown Tort" not only because it's a Noodler's and I've had nearly zero problems with any of my Noodler's pens, but because I found the brown and gold very appealing. When my Konrad arrived, I was definitely not a disappointed. The rich dark brown and two-tone gold swirls gave this pen a "class act" appearance, suitable for the office, a Board meeting or just every day use. No glitz or pizzazz, but to me, a refined classy pen.

fpn_1336270987__noodlers_konrad_roaring_20s_brown_tort.jpg

My Konrad arrived ready to write to out of the box. It was flushed, as all new pens should be, but required no adjusting, tweaking or coaxing ... only ink. The nib is smooth and glides across the paper with out effort, flexes with out much pressure, the tines snapping right back into position instantly. I am not yet very adept writing with a flex nib of any brand, make or model, but I'm finding the nib on the Konrad quite fun and easy to use, even for a rookie, like me. I noticed that the nib size fits the pen size well, at least to my eyes. Some pens have nibs that seem a little too small for the size of the pen. The Konrad body and nib are just right for each other.

I prefer larger, heavier pens in favor of the slimmer, light weight pens and I wasn't sure just how the Konrad would measure up. It appeared to be the larger pen that I like, in the pictures, but was it?? Pictures can be deceiving. Well, I needn't have been the least bit concerned! The Konrad isn't a slim or skinny pen, but fits the bill for me and my larger pen preference and is very comfortable. As for weight ... the Konrad may look like a heavy pen, but it's not. Surprisingly light weight, but not so light weight that it feels as though it could slip out of your hand. Light weight, but fits the hand beautifully without tiring. I don't ordinarily post my pens, but I did for this review (just for you) and I really didn't find much of a difference in balance posted or writing with the pen not posted. Most of the time, I can definitely feel a pretty good difference when most pens are posted, but didn't with the Konrad.

The filling system as I'm sure most of you know, is plunger. I found it smooth and easy moving ... no having to get tough with it. I can't tell you how much ink it holds, perhaps it was mentioned in Nathan's video, but it holds what seems to me, a nice amount of ink. Now, the Konrad does have a flexy nib, so don't think that you're going to write from now until next Friday with one fill, if you use the flex. The more flex, the more ink is used, but I know that you all know that or most do.

The Noodler's Konrad sells for $20. This is not news. However, as with pens like the Ahab ... you're getting a lot of pen for a little money. Yes, that's my opinion, but it's based on the Noodler's pens that I have and use. All in all, if all or at least the majority of the Konrad's are attractive, smooth, flexy or as Goldilocks would say, "Just right", Noodler's has a winner. I would purchase another and in fact, intend to do so. Sadly, I have no friends who write with fountain pens, except for my FPN friends, but I would recommend the Konrad to any user who enjoys a bit of flex. If I understood Maricio correctly last year, the Konrad may not be a "wet noodle", but if I can get it to flex smoothly and write with it ... I think anyone can! All in all, I would give my Noodler's Konrad a 9. A score of 10 would be perfect and just as people, I don't know if perfection exists.

Thank you to "I Sell Pens" for their super fast shipping and very well done packaging, as my mailman tends to "bowl" packages, sliding them across the porch, unless heavy. I guess he doesn't want to take the steps unless he has mail to put into the box! LOL As always, Todd ... it was a pleasure.

Before I forget ... the pictures are courtesy of "I Sell Pens". I haven't figured out how to get pictures from my camera to my daughter's computer.

Note added re: Odor .... I haven't noticed any particular odor coming from my Konrad, but ... ok ... I admit it ... I don't stick my pens up to my nose. :vbg:

Edited by USMCMom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• ThirdeYe

• P.A.R.

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a lovely pen. I think I'd prefer one of these over the Ahab just for the color and section shape. :)

I really like the coloring of my Konrad ... classy, refined. Not a pen that's flashy or that hollers, "Look at ME"! LOL

I used Platinum Earth Brown for its first fill and wow ... did that ink and nib combo shade! I plan to do an ink review when I learn out to get my daughter's computer and my camera to play nicely together.

Great review. I agree this is a very nice looking pen irrespective of the price.

Just one question. What is this Platinum Earth Brown of which you speak?

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Nice review. I was thinking about getting the blue one, but will probably go with the brown. I wasn't able to see the gold streaks in the Goulets' pictures, and I'm not particularly a fan of blue and gold pairings. The brown looks a little more fitting with the black as well, perhaps because the caps weren't given a swirl pattern.

Definitely on my to buy list - my Konrad rollerball will hopefully have a cousin at some point. :thumbup:

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Great review. I agree this is a very nice looking pen irrespective of the price.

I filled my Konrad for the first time with Platinum Earth Brown and had expected to be able to show the shading in the review. Wellll ... didn't happen, because I was having difficulties getting my daughter's computer and my camera to be cooperate with each other. My daughter told me late tonight, that she'd try to help me tomorrow.

The Platinum Earth Brown isn't a dark brown, but sure was shading beautifully when the Konrad nib was flexed. I didn't expect it to do that. Surprise!

Nice review. I was thinking about getting the blue one, but will probably go with the brown. I wasn't able to see the gold streaks in the Goulets' pictures, and I'm not particularly a fan of blue and gold pairings. The brown looks a little more fitting with the black as well, perhaps because the caps weren't given a swirl pattern.

Definitely on my to buy list - my Konrad rollerball will hopefully have a cousin at some point. :thumbup:

When the light hits the gold just right, it's really nice, other wise, it's a subtle gold. The pen I have has quite a bit of gold, though not overly done and looks very nice with the dark brown.

I'm so glad your review is favorable. I just ordered one of these Noodler's Konrad pens in Red Mesa Tortoise. I have never owned a fountain pen before, so I'm quite excited and hope it doesn't take too long to get here.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

USMC Mom you Rock! :thumbup:

Great Review and thanks for ordering from Isellpens! :notworthy1:

I would like to mention these have less odor than the other pens I have received in the past. We hope these pens will be a huge success.

Best Regards,

Todd

www.isellpens.com

Has anyone used one of these long enough to see if they have the same ink evaporation issue that the original flex nib creaper had? I remember when I would use my older Creaper flex pens, the ink would evaporate completely in a matter of weeks, even when using it sparingly.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Thank you, everyone ... I hope your pens are as "had to tweak" free as mine was and is. I really am enjoying my Konrad.

Sam, it's one of the Platinum Mix-Free inks.

I used Platinum Earth Brown for its first fill and wow ... did that ink and nib combo shade! I plan to do an ink review when I learn out to get my daughter's computer and my camera to play nicely together.

USMCMom, I couldn't agree more!!! My Konrad just showed up and I threw some Pelikan 4001 Brown in it.... I've never really been a huge fan of this ink, but I LOVE it in this pen!

Nathan/The Goulets -- Expect another order from me for more Konrads!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I inked my Ebonite Konrad about a week and a half ago and I let it sit unused for about 4 days (I needed to use up the ink in another pen) and it started right up this AM.

I inked my Ebonite Konrad about a week and a half ago and I let it sit unused for about 4 days (I needed to use up the ink in another pen) and it started right up this AM.

That is a good sign. :thumbup: Was there any noticeable evaporation?

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Pen Review: Noodler's Konrad - Roaring 20's Brown Tort

Note added re: Odor .... I haven't noticed any particular odor coming from my Konrad, but ... ok ... I admit it ... I don't stick my pens up to my nose. :vbg:

For an Ahab or Standard Piston Fill, you don't need to stick pens up to your nose, they are just smelling awful. After writing one of them even hands will stink.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Very nice review! The Konrad is calling to me. With my favorite filling system and the clean, refined look, it may well be time to rescind my "no more Noodler's pens until they actually work and I don't have to buy Knox nibs for them" rule.