Legacy Heritage And Legacy2 In Gold Tone

jar

We've looked at several variations of the Legacy series pens in Sterling silver from the plain smooth finish to the ornate Victorian, from the simple Barleycorn guilloche to the intricate deep guilloche found on the Classic Pens Washington and Richmond.

http://www.fototime.com/2B4F4393524FA7C/medium800.jpg

Now let's add a little springtime color and look at a couple examples in 23K gold plate.

The first is a Legacy2 pen, the Jim Gaston Linear Lined Gold pen from about ten years ago, and the second is a modern Brushed Gold Legacy Heritage.

http://www.fototime.com/7DEBA212398D524/medium800.jpg

The Gaston on top.

The Gaston is a FT Madison pen while the Brushed Gold is made in the Czech Republic I believe so I was curious if it would come up to the standards I have found in all my other examples of Legacy Series pens.

For this review I decided to use modern Sheaffer Skrip cartridges from the same batch to make it as equal a comparison as I could.

I inserted the cartridges, screwed the bodies back on the sections, swiped the nibs under the tap just to prewet and wiped them down with a paper towel. Both pens immediately flowed. No hesitation, they wrote from the first stroke and by the end of the first word I would describe them as typical moderately wet writers. I let them sit on their sides overnight and in the morning both started immediately and again, there was no hesitation, flow was perfect, line was smooth and crisp.

The Brushed Gold Legacy Heritage has a medium nib that writes on the broad end of the medium range while the Jim Gaston has a fine nib that writes what I consider to be a true fine.

http://www.fototime.com/1F6A0EF69D20651/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/367597181850F79/medium800.jpg

The bright finish of the Jim Gaston Legacy2 both looks and feels 'polished'. Indoors it really stands out while outside it positively gleams.

http://www.fototime.com/7FBA976601DDF5D/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/00ED541A4835BE0/medium800.jpg

The Brushed Gold Legacy Heritage looks more subdued indoors and under indirect lighting, but outdoors the light plays off the facets and it really sparkles.

I was concerned that the quality of Sheaffer's top line pens might have fallen once production was moved from FT Madison, but not any more. The Brushed Gold Czech made Legacy Heritage is definitely a proud member of a long standing tradition.

On reflection, I wondered why I was ever concerned since I have always found that my Sheaffer pens, whether made in FT Madison, Canada or Australia were simply superb.

My Website

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Koyote

• akrishna59

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jar, I have a Legacy I FP (black enamel) that is very nice; good fit & finish, writes well, etc.

I also have a Legacy Heritage RB (brushed gold finish) which was made in the Czech Republic and is pretty shoddy: a loose clip after less than a year, and a cap band that has a pretty sharp edge which would irritate me if the caps posted worth a damn. And when I bought that RB, I also bought another one, identical, which had to be returned because the Sheaffer RB refill would not even fit in the section. An amazing lack of QC.

So, based on my sample, I think workmanship has gone down with the move away from Ft Madison. Of course, my sample from each factory is n=1, so I assign low reliability to my results.

Jar, I have a Legacy I FP (black enamel) that is very nice; good fit & finish, writes well, etc.

I also have a Legacy Heritage RB (brushed gold finish) which was made in the Czech Republic and is pretty shoddy: a loose clip after less than a year, and a cap band that has a pretty sharp edge which would irritate me if the caps posted worth a damn. And when I bought that RB, I also bought another one, identical, which had to be returned because the Sheaffer RB refill would not even fit in the section. An amazing lack of QC.

So, based on my sample, I think workmanship has gone down with the move away from Ft Madison. Of course, my sample from each factory is n=1, so I assign low reliability to my results.

Interesting. I wonder if there was a learning curve both at the factory and at Corporate. The fit and finish on my example is certainly as fine as anything from FT Madison, but I've had it for not quite a year so far. The cap edge on the Legacies I've been luck enough to get have all been less sharp then on any of my metal capped PFMs. That was always something that bugged me and perhaps why I preferred the PFM I & III.

The Black Tie Legacies are really nice too and if I get a chance I'll do a review of a couple of them as well.

My Website

slightly alarming, to say the least though the sample size is small.

let us hope that others have had better experiences and that you find a solution to yours. poor QC can kill a brand in no time.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.