• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Saintpaulia

• FunkeyMonk

• fabiorr

Mine arrived today from isellpens.com

Is the pen designed so that the converter's sac is not meant to be removed? The first thing I did after removing the barrel was to see how the pen's converter worked in its attachment to the section. Well the metal casing to the converter came off easily but I have been unable to remove the sac. I finally gave up since I was afraid I was going to tear it where it fits over the section.

Edited by Saintpaulia

Is the pen designed so that the converter's sac is not meant to be removed? The first thing I did after removing the barrel was to see how the pen's converter worked in its attachment to the section. Well the metal casing to the converter came off easily but I have been unable to remove the sac. I finally gave up since I was afraid I was going to tear it where it fits over the section.

There is no converter as it does not take cartridges of any kind as it is a straight-forward bulb filler in the Aerometric style.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Yup...you just squeeze the bulb to suck up bottled ink. I leave the metal tube off permanently, but that's just me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There is no converter as it does not take cartridges of any kind as it is a straight-forward bulb filler in the Aerometric style.

Oh! I didn't know what aerometric meant then. I thought it just meant a converter that had the sac inside of the metal thing. Like my Pilot 78G.

Oh! I didn't know what aerometric meant then. I thought it just meant a converter that had the sac inside of the metal thing. Like my Pilot 78G.

It is permanently attached so use an ink that will be easy to clean out or one that will be dedicated to the pen.

The "converter" is for converting a pen using pre-filled ink cartridges to use bottled ink, so it has the same physical fitting as the cartridge. But the actual mechanism used by the converter for taking in ink can be identical to some types of filling mechanism employed by various pens, like aerometric bulb filler, push-pull piston, rotating piston, etc.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I ordered it on Friday hoping to get her Tuesday .... Great pics ... $ 5 what's not to love ...

I jes received a Guanleming calligraphy "art"? pen. It also $5. It has a bent nib so as to work like a brush for Chinese calligraphy. I have no idea what to expect, but at that price, what the heck! ;)

nulla dies sine linea

It is permanently attached so use an ink that will be easy to clean out or one that will be dedicated to the pen.

Thanks. I'm glad I didn't persist in trying to get the sac-thing off! :roflmho: Duh!

OK. I've flushed the pen with warm, soapy water. And then rinses the soapy water out with clean water. Now I cannot get all of the clean water out! There's lots in the feed section and a bit I can't get out of the sac. What can I do about this? (So far this has to be the more difficult pens I've bought recently!)

OK. I've flushed the pen with warm, soapy water. And then rinses the soapy water out with clean water. Now I cannot get all of the clean water out! There's lots in the feed section and a bit I can't get out of the sac. What can I do about this? (So far this has to be the more difficult pens I've bought recently!)

Stand it nib down in a cup with some kitchen paper and it will suck the water out.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

• 2 months later...

I'm sure they're still on eBay. As it says in my handwritten review - I bought one for six bucks with free shipping from Hong Kong.

A little addendum to the Guanleming story --- I did end up converting mine to an eyedropper fill. I pulled out the sac and grabbed the little breather tube with some pliers and yanked it out. Then I plugged the little hole in the end of the body with some super glue. I sawed off some extra plastic where the sac had been attached. I put a little silicone grease around the threads and filled it with water to test.

It held water fine for two days so I dried it out and filled with some ink.

The pen holds (actually, held) a great deal of ink as an eyedropper fill. And it writes (wrote) wonderfully, too! Nice and steady line, wet nib, pretty much just right. I also pulled out and reset the nib and feed and it wrote better than before.

BUT

As I used up some of the ink, once it got to about half full, the pen started burping all over the place. I couldn't use it without blobs and drips of ink all over my fingers and desk and papers. My theory is the air pocket quickly warmed up in my hand and pushed ink out. Well, if I was going to have to constantly refill the pen to keep it topped off, that pretty much negates the value of an eyedropper pen, now doesn't it?

So now it's in the trash. :/

Surgery fail!

That's what makes these cheapo Chinese pens so much fun! You can experiment with very small consequences.

• 2 years later...

I'm sure they're still on eBay. As it says in my handwritten review - I bought one for six bucks with free shipping from Hong Kong.

A little addendum to the Guanleming story --- I did end up converting mine to an eyedropper fill. I pulled out the sac and grabbed the little breather tube with some pliers and yanked it out. Then I plugged the little hole in the end of the body with some super glue. I sawed off some extra plastic where the sac had been attached. I put a little silicone grease around the threads and filled it with water to test.

It held water fine for two days so I dried it out and filled with some ink.

The pen holds (actually, held) a great deal of ink as an eyedropper fill. And it writes (wrote) wonderfully, too! Nice and steady line, wet nib, pretty much just right. I also pulled out and reset the nib and feed and it wrote better than before.

BUT

As I used up some of the ink, once it got to about half full, the pen started burping all over the place. I couldn't use it without blobs and drips of ink all over my fingers and desk and papers. My theory is the air pocket quickly warmed up in my hand and pushed ink out. Well, if I was going to have to constantly refill the pen to keep it topped off, that pretty much negates the value of an eyedropper pen, now doesn't it?

So now it's in the trash. :/

No help now, but for future reference you could probably have solved that problem by putting something (like an old cartridge with the end plugged, or some putty) in the end of the barrel to reduce the volume. Odds are there would be a point at which the room for air inside the near-empty pen wasn't enough to cause burping, but the ink capacity was still larger than you could get in the original sac.

ron