The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Guanleming 2001 Demonstrator - Hooded Nib

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 FunkeyMonk

FunkeyMonk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 15:39

Here's my handwritten review of my new Guanleming 2001 Demonstrator, which just arrived yesterday from China. I haven't seen any reviews of this pen on these forums, so I hope you enjoy!

(Sorry about the poor focus on the photos -- I didn't bring my fancy camera with me today.) If you can't read this review, let me know and I'll type it up.

To answer the inevitable questions about posting and eyedropper fill, both of which I forgot to mention in the written review:

Posting -- it posts fine, but the cap has a tendency to pop itself off. It's just friction fit.
Eyedropper -- I suppose this pen could be used as an eyedropper fill, but it has a hole on the very end of the body which would have to be plugged first. Also, the threads between the body and the section aren't great, so it would definitely need some grease and an O-ring.

Attached Images

• photo 1.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG
  • photo 4.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:29

Wow, it really does fill that hood. Great review, thanks for posting it. And your handwriting is fine.

#3 FunkeyMonk

FunkeyMonk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 17:06

I think this will be my carry-around notebook pen for a little while. I'm curious to see how much ink ends up burping out into the cap.

#4 pienaar

pienaar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 19:11

I bought the same pen in black plastic. It writes very smooth I like it. These are nice pens.
Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 21:15

I love your handwriting. Thanks for the review. Isellpens has these as 'your BSB pen.'

Writes beautifully, is cool-looking, and at five bucks I am SO glad I got one. Mine, however, is only filled with Skrip Blue. :lol:

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 21:29

I just got one of these in the mail today, along with the Guanleming "Accountant" pen, but haven't had a chance to give either one a pre-ink flush yet.
If you removed the bar, did you just squeeze on the sac to fill it? I had just inked up the third model that isellpens carries (the calligraphy pen) but since that was my first non c/c pen or piston-fill pen, I wasn't certain I had it filled up completely. In addition, the swooshy nib is really weird to write with, so I was looking forward to a more "normal" nib.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:15

This is indeed a great pen. I bought one for $5 shipped, loved it so much that I got another one for my mum. Fantastic little pens- but I find that after the ink from the hood is completely used, it starts to write drier. This irritates me slightly, but a little push of the sac and it's back to normal again.

#8 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:34

If the barrel is sealed in the back you could fill it up with ink and take the sac off. :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#9 fabiorr

fabiorr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:29

Is this demonstrator model still around? Does anyone know where I could source it?
Thanks you!

#10 Chthulhu

Chthulhu

Rawr.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:35

http://www.isellpens.com/specials.htm
Mike Hungerford
http://goo.gl/dUVnUZ

#11 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• 2,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:40

It does really fill the hood with ink. This was two squeezes in Private Reserve Ebony Green.

Posted Image
Guanleming 2001 filled with ink by IvanRomero, on Flickr

#12 fabiorr

fabiorr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:46

1338698115[/url]' post='2362670']
http://www.isellpens.com/specials.htm

Chthulhu, thank you very much!!Posted Image

#13 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:56

I ordered it on Friday hoping to get her Tuesday .... Great pics ... $ 5 what's not to love ...

#14 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:11

I just got one of these in the mail today, along with the Guanleming "Accountant" pen, but haven't had a chance to give either one a pre-ink flush yet.
If you removed the bar, did you just squeeze on the sac to fill it? I had just inked up the third model that isellpens carries (the calligraphy pen) but since that was my first non c/c pen or piston-fill pen, I wasn't certain I had it filled up completely. In addition, the swooshy nib is really weird to write with, so I was looking forward to a more "normal" nib.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

If I understand your "swooshy nib" correctly, I just did a review for the Guanleming calligraphy pen. Strange looking nib, but it's working our great for me with regular writing, as I'm not a calligrapher.

#15 isellpens

isellpens

isellpens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 16:32

I love your handwriting. Thanks for the review. Isellpens has these as 'your BSB pen.'

Writes beautifully, is cool-looking, and at five bucks I am SO glad I got one. Mine, however, is only filled with Skrip Blue. :lol:

That’s true I introduced this pen and kind of discovered this pen for the US market for $5.00 and Baystate Blue is the first ink we used when tested. It passed with flying colors before I added it tour line-up . :thumbup:
We named it our official Baystate Blue pen! :eureka:
We used ink like HOD that has plugged up my free eyedropper pen and this pen performs like a little champ. I also like how the section turns the color of the ink as I have several inked up with different colors standing up and it has not dried out. By the way it has a hole at the end of the barrell but I have not made an eye dropper yet.
I have 3 other models I picked from this same company that has not made pens for over 10 years under the supervision of Hero.
Best Regards,
Todd
www.isellpens.com

Edited by isellpens, 04 June 2012 - 16:33.

#16 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 16:37

Great info ... I too order two of them ... Great Value IMO and will be fun to play with ...

Thanks for the info ...

Scott

That’s true I introduced this pen and kind of discovered this pen for the US market for $5.00 and Baystate Blue is the first ink we used when tested. It passed with flying colors before I added it tour line-up . :thumbup:
We named it our official Baystate Blue pen! :eureka:
We used ink like HOD that has plugged up my free eyedropper pen and this pen performs like a little champ. I also like how the section turns the color of the ink as I have several inked up with different colors standing up and it has not dried out. By the way it has a hole at the end of the barrell but I have not made an eye dropper yet.
I have 3 other models I picked from this same company that has not made pens for over 10 years under the supervision of Hero.
Best Regards,
Todd
www.isellpens.com

#17 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 22:23

I've been using one of these for my regular many-times-a-day note taker for a couple of weeks now, and it performs beautifully. Smooth, always starts on the first stroke, no drips or creep. The flow does vary a bit--after the pen has been sitting open for a few minutes it will start slightly wet, and then gradually write dryer over the course of a page or so. But you'd have to be paying attention to even notice. I'm using Waterman Habana in it at the moment.
ron

#18 Saintpaulia

Saintpaulia

"Hey There!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:55

I know this is an "old thread" (last post June 4, this year), but...I didn't even know this maker existed until today. All of you all that reviewed this pen back then, if you happen to see this post, will you please update your experience with it? In particular I am curious about the one really serious "con" mentioned: i.e. after the hood empties of ink the pen begins to write drier and the poster found that irritating. I can well imagine! As this problem been pretty much universally experienced? These pen are now $7 with free shipping on evilBay instead of $5 but other than that...and I am not going to quibble about $2! LOL.

Also how does one clean such a pen?

Edited by Saintpaulia, 04 October 2012 - 20:00.

#19 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:27

The same way you clean any other 'aerosqueezy' filler: insert nib in clean water, draw water, squirt inky fluid out, lather, rinse repeat.

Mine is perpetually filled with Skrip Blue.

#20 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:11

I think it's surprisingly good. I have trouble filling it with enough ink. But reading about removing the metal bar over the sac to better fill it, is really helpful. I prefer broader nibs and don't generally like hooded nibs, but the nib on this pen is fine and smooth. I've tried a variety of inks in it and it works fine. I bought some more to use with different inks just for fun.

Sponsored Content

|