5.5" Skyline... Executive Or Standard?

SigmaZuiko

I've spotted a Skyline that is black, plastic cap with thin gold band, 5.5" long capped, and the section is of the normal variety.

I'm not too fond of the styling but I lack an executive in my collection. This pen is .25" longer than my two standards but is that long enough to mean that it is an executive? I keep reading lengths of 5.75" but on Pentrace Jim shows a picture of a black executive that measures 5.5". I might be over thinking this, but in the end I just want to double check before I go buy another standard sized pen.

http://i53.tinypic.com/vrzs7l.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joss

• SigmaZuiko

• Addertooth

Top Posters In This Topic

The length of the Skyline Executive varies quite a bit. A have 4 Executives that all have different lengths:

5.51" / 14,0 cm (dubonnet red & red green striated cap)

5.55" / 14,1 cm (navy blue & blue green striated cap)

5.67" / 14,4 cm (army brown & brown green striated cap)

5.74" / 14,6 cm (marine green & green black striated striped cap)

The caps of these Executives are all identical in length. The difference in the overall length is due to slight variations in barrel lengths and to variations in the position of the threads inside the cap. These variations in overall length also occur in the Standard and Demi Skyline models.

A 5.5" Skyline looks like an Executive to me. However, not all sellers are aware about the importance of providing the exact length of the pen. For instance, a loosely fitted or warped 'over the top' clip can add to the overall length of the pen. Best is to ask the exact length of the cap only (without the dome and without the clip ring). The exact length of the Executive cap without the dome and without the clip ring is 2,185" (5,55cm); the total length of the cap is 2.618" (6,65cm).

Edited by joris

• 7 years later...

To resurect this old thread.... the surest way to determine if you have an exectutive is via examination of the Section. It is longer and has a larger diameter than the standard section. So if the section will pop right into your standard pen and not extend the length of your standard, then the section is from a standard pen and not an exectuive. On the Executive, the section where the nib feed is inserted has and outer diameter (OD) 10.65mm, on the standard it measures 9.8mm. The Section measured from pen body to where the nib inserts is 19.16mm, but only 18.53mm on the standard. Overall, the section is larger in all visible dimension than the standard section. So in short, look at the section size, it will let you know if you have an executive. From pictures found of the executive, they seem to (typically) have the teardrop nib, as versus the non-teardrop version. The teardrop nib appears to be broader at the shoulders than the non-teardrop version.

fpn_1565847717__side_by_side_section_and

Edited by Addertooth