'paper-Blanks' Note Books/journals

Quill1

Happy to see all the nice comments about Paperblanks! I can confirm (sitting here in Paperblanks HQ in Vancouver, Canada) that we did indeed recently step up our game. As part of our ongoing efforts to produce the finest-quality writing journals on the shelves (from binding to design to, yes, paper) we upgraded our paper quality in 2008. Read about our paper here: http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/01/paper-quality/

Or watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=6s1J4JzGKpc

However, one thing we can't account for is that pre-2008 books are still out there!

But if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Paperblanks

Wow, no idea it was a Canadian co. I love the quality of the one I have. Nice to know us Canucks can pump out some great products that don't cost an arm and a leg here at home.

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Paperblanks

• angelofmusic81

• Quill1

I want to update previous comments I've made on these. As my 3B nib dries out, I notice there is a faint texture to the pages of these journals. Not enough to catch my stubs or italics, but still silky smooth even as my nibs dry out. I suspect they'll be lovely for the fine nib contingent, but can't comment as I run to broader nibs.

I'm hoping the other journals I've bought match this Poe for performance. If this is the new paper and they're consistent, I've got a new addiction source of journals. :thumbup:

Yes, they are very good with fine and extra fine nibs too. I have several that perform excellently:

Black Moroccan (unlined)

Natural (unlined)

Ballad (lined)

None of these show any feathering or bleed through and only a hint of ghosting with my wettest writers (medium CI/stubs).

Edited by NeelsK

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this again and update with my new experiences with Paperblanks. I stated before that I had quite liked the books but had a rather poor experience with the paper. They have since updated their paper and I picked up a pocket Black Moroccan lined book to test out. I was very pleased to find that the paper is now an A+! No feathering or bleedthrough, and the paper has a very slight laid texture that you can more see than feel, which just adds to the antique look and feel of the book. I love the new paper and will definitely be purchasing more Paperblanks products!

Try to find post 2008 paper. I bought a batch on line and found a mix of NOS 2005 still in the foam wrappers along with the newer. Next time I'll know to query the vendor. Not that the 2005 is bad, but there's definitely show through with more ink brands. :headsmack:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for the great feedback and nuanced reviews! We just wanted to let you all know that none of it is going unnoticed. ;-)

- The Paperblanks Team

Paperblanks----Any chance you could post the names of some of the designs that were put out recently and thus would certainly have the new paper?

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Paperblanks----Any chance you could post the names of some of the designs that were put out recently and thus would certainly have the new paper?

thanks,

Sure!

Collections released post-2009:

• Nocturnelle Collection
  • Cartella Collection
  • Gutenberg Bible
  • Laurel Burch Blossoms
  • Laurel Burch Whimsical Creations
  • Laurel Burch Playful Creations
  • Ori Collection
  • Rose Garden
  • Mucha Collection
  • Baroque Ventaglio
  • Silver Filigree Collection
  • Parisian Mosaic
  • Grolier Ornamentali
  • Safavid Binding Art
  • Leonardo's Sketches
  • Lindau Gospels
  • William Morris (note: we did put out a Handstitch-bound Morris series pre-2008. The post-2008 Morris books have smythe-sewn binding)
  • Japanese Lacquer Boxes
  • Simply Holographic
  • Literary Art Deco

Some titles released post-2009:

• Saddleworn (Old Leather collection)
  • Rousseau, La Nouvelle Heloise (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Byron, Don Juan (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Saint-Exupery, Wind, Sand and Stars (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Michelangelo, Handwriting (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Balzac, Eugenie Grandet (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Lincoln, Fragment of a Speech (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Wordsworth, Letter Quoting "Daffodils" (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Poe, Tamerlane (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Darwin, Tree of Life (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Blake, Poems (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Goethe, Italian Journey (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Chopin, Polonaise in A-Flat Major (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Temptress (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Sorceress (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Jama (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Lola (Fabulous Footwear)

...and I'm sure there are others we're missing. If you're not sure about a specific design run it past us and we'll clear things up!

Thanks!

- Paperblanks

Oh dear, finding this thread is not going to be good for my bank balance.

Though I do have 5 unused journals from various brands yet to use so I really shouldn't buy anoe of these...

I also have a Paperblanks I took on my travels around Jordan, Palestine and Saudi Arabia and I still need to finish it.

I do find the lines are very wide-spaced though...

Anyway, I must not buy more journals, I must not buy more journals, I must not buy more journals...Ooo Is the Islamic tileworks collection Post-2008?

Dear Paperblanks, I have long loved your journals. My one problem is that my permanent #1 favorite is the Old Leather Black Moroccan midi (or larger?)...but I can no longer find it in a non-slim, non-diary format WITHOUT A MAGNET COVER. What I adore about this journal is that it really looks like a beautiful, aged notebook...an effect that is ruined by a MAGNET FLAP! :crybaby: No closure or even an elastic would be heaven. Any possibility?

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

Anyway, I must not buy more journals, I must not buy more journals, I must not buy more journals...Ooo Is the Islamic tileworks collection Post-2008?

Unfortunately not!

Dear Paperblanks, I have long loved your journals. My one problem is that my permanent #1 favorite is the Old Leather Black Moroccan midi (or larger?)...but I can no longer find it in a non-slim, non-diary format WITHOUT A MAGNET COVER. What I adore about this journal is that it really looks like a beautiful, aged notebook...an effect that is ruined by a MAGNET FLAP! :crybaby: No closure or even an elastic would be heaven. Any possibility?

Sorry to hear that! However we appreciate the feedback. You raise a very good point about the magnet in a way ruining the "aged-ness" of the book. We're forwarding this feedback along to all the right people! In the mean time, there's ONE other option to consider (though it may be a longshot): you could try our Black Moroccan design in the newly-released Mini Reporter format. Find details at the bottom of this article: http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/09/new-fall-2011/

- Paperblanks

You raise a very good point about the magnet in a way ruining the "aged-ness" of the book. We're forwarding this feedback along to all the right people!

It's more than the "aged-ness" - I and probably many others who like fountain pens and good paper wear mechanical watches. These watches can be damaged by magnetic fields. OK, the magnets in the covers are probably too weak to do any real damage, but I'm personally avoiding magnets when I can for this fact (and for the sake of the magnetic strip in my credit cards...)

So less magnets - more of my buying. ;)

I know you have the Embellished Manuscript as new ones, but the Shakespeare or the Bronte one is not listed. Is this post-2008? Also, do you have a Jane Austen one? I'd love one of those.

Oh dear, my list is getting longer!

Have to agree that I'm not a fan of magnet/wrap style, but ended up buying them because the covers for the authors and composers were some of the most attractive styles. :embarrassed_smile:

I think I'm going to have to try the Black Moroccan design in the Mini Reporter format.

Black Moroccan is one of my favourites but the new Nocturnelle style is a real eye-catcher.

Picked up an Ori Cadence mini earlier this week. It is a stunning mesmerizing thing. The shop only had Cadence but the three of them looked different as the design was aligned slighly differently on each one.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I know you have the Embellished Manuscript as new ones, but the Shakespeare or the Bronte one is not listed. Is this post-2008? Also, do you have a Jane Austen one? I'd love one of those.

Shakespeare and Bronte are pre-2008. You could try ordering them but depending on the retailer you may get the older paper!

Nothing Jane Austen-related yet, though it's suggested to us often. It's been noted. ;-)

- Paperblanks