'paper-Blanks' Note Books/journals

Quill1

Has anyone used the PaperBlanks range of Journals/NoteBooks? I have been fortuante enough to aquire some recently with the intention of writting thoughts, quotes etc., without thinking if the paper is appropriate for fountain pens i.e bleed through, feathering etc., So rather than try and maybe 'spoil' with my first attempts, I thought I would ask here first.

Montblanc: 146 75th Anniversary, 147 Le Grande, Doue Solitaire

Parker: Gold Duofold Centennial, Sonnet Fougere

Visconti Bronze Homo-Sapien

Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Paperblanks

• Quill1

• LittleMissHijaabHead

From my experience of using various Paperblanks books, the paper should accept fountain pen ink with no feathering or bleed-through. I have used two different Paperblanks books, and still got 3 left to use - hopefully my newer ones will take to ink just as well as their predecessors!

"Is this thing on??"

:) Thank you

Actually, I've had very variable results. In the French Ornate Vert range, the micro size with plain paper was excellent but the long slim lined version feathered badly. But they may have changed their paper stock by now. I'd had the slim notebook for some time before buying the micro.

Karen Traviss

www.karentraviss.com

I have only tried the embellished manuscripts from them, but my experience is more or less in line with the other posters: no bleedthrough at all and no feathering. The paper has a bit of texture, however, so it may take several pages' worth of practice to become comfortable with it for several nibs. A fully flexible needlepoint, for instance, might prove challenging at first given the texture of the paper.

I love those journals, I've filled around 7 of them. Consistently fountain pen friendly, even with juicy wet writers (my Waterman Laureat M nib) and felt tipped pens.

Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

I am becoming more 'paper-aware' and have noticed the slight differences between the various types of journals. I have made a start in one, I am pleased in how good the ink looks, no problems at all. All I need now is to improve my handwritting :roflmho:

I will look out for their embellished manuscripts as they sound ideal for a future project.

My experience with them was from a few years ago, but the embellished manuscript pocket version that I had actually feathered and bled quite a bit. I still enjoyed many of the other aspects of the notebook, especially the style and how flat it would lay, but I ended up filling it with dry rollerballs and ballpoints. I'm pleased to hear that maybe they've stepped up their game on the actual paper, or at the very least, at a larger size I might have better luck.

I've had hit-or-miss experience with PaperBlanks, but it seems that lately, it's been hit, hit, hit.

I look for the pages that are slightly textured, as that seems to be least feathery and bleedy.

They produce some beautiful notebooks!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I might get one of those at my local bookstore. The problem is choosing, there are so many different and equally beautiful ones!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I have only tried the embellished manuscripts from them, but my experience is more or less in line with the other posters: no bleedthrough at all and no feathering. The paper has a bit of texture, however, so it may take several pages' worth of practice to become comfortable with it for several nibs. A fully flexible needlepoint, for instance, might prove challenging at first given the texture of the paper.

I totally agree.

They are great journals, and some of their designs are awesome!

I have had two and both had poor paper that feathered and too much show through. However I haven't tried one for about 18 months so they may have changed paper grades.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Happy to see all the nice comments about Paperblanks! I can confirm (sitting here in Paperblanks HQ in Vancouver, Canada) that we did indeed recently step up our game. As part of our ongoing efforts to produce the finest-quality writing journals on the shelves (from binding to design to, yes, paper) we upgraded our paper quality in 2008. Read about our paper here: http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/01/paper-quality/

Or watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=6s1J4JzGKpc

However, one thing we can't account for is that pre-2008 books are still out there!

But if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Paperblanks

Edited by Paperblanks

Happy to see all the nice comments about Paperblanks! I can confirm (sitting here in Paperblanks HQ in Vancouver, Canada) that we did indeed recently step up our game. As part of our ongoing efforts to produce the finest-quality writing journals on the shelves (from binding to design to, yes, paper) we upgraded our paper quality in 2008. Read about our paper here: http://blog.paperblanks.com/2011/01/paper-quality/

However, one thing we can't account for is that pre-2008 books are still out there!

- Paperblanks

This is great news! The Paperblanks notebooks are some of the most stylish out there, with a little something for everyone. I am so pleased to hear that the company is dedicated to quality, both inside and out. I look forward to picking up a new one soon.

How do we know if we are buying a pre-2008 journal? I would hate to waste my money on a non-fountain pen friendly journal.

Thank you,

Vicki

- Paperblanks

:W2FPN:

This is wondrous news as I've adored the look of these for years, but was disappointed back in the day. Can't wait to order a load. I can't make up my mind between the Poe with that lovely purple background and the Persian carpet looking themes :blush:

Glad you could join us. Look forward to hearing more paper news! :clap1:

How do we know if we are buying a pre-2008 journal? I would hate to waste my money on a non-fountain pen friendly journal.

Thank you,

Vicki

Unfortunately there's no clear way of discerning a pre-2008 book from a post-2008 one. Visually, the change-over was pretty much seamless. However, if you want a 100% guarantee that your Paperblanks journal has the superior paper your best bet would be to buy the collections and books that debuted after 2008. It might be harder to tell if some of our older designs (older French Ornate books, older Embellished Manuscripts, Old Leather) are still sitting on your retailer's shelves from a bygone era! Unfortunately we just don't have control over our retailers' inventories!

But definitely feel free to ask about any collections or books (consult www.paperblanks.com for titles and names) and I can tell you when they came out!

This is wondrous news as I've adored the look of these for years, but was disappointed back in the day. Can't wait to order a load. I can't make up my mind between the Poe with that lovely purple background and the Persian carpet looking themes :blush:

Definitely let us know how you find it! We always value feedback. :)

- Paperblanks

Edited by Paperblanks

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you,

Vicki

Unfortunately there's no clear way of discerning a pre-2008 book from a post-2008 one. Visually, the change-over was pretty much seamless. However, if you want a 100% guarantee that your Paperblanks journal has the superior paper your best bet would be to buy the collections and books that debuted after 2008. It might be harder to tell if some of our older designs (older French Ornate books, older Embellished Manuscripts, Old Leather) are still sitting on your retailer's shelves from a bygone era! Unfortunately we just don't have control over our retailers' inventories!

But definitely feel free to ask about any collections or books (consult www.paperblanks.com for titles and names) and I can tell you when they came out!

Definitely let us know how you find it! We always value feedback. :)

- Paperblanks

Well I'm currently using a 2007 Beethoven Embellished Manuscript and the paper quality is a good as that of the newer PB's I've recently bought. AND I have a Mozart Embellished Manuscript from 2005, which is equally fountain pen friendly (no feathering or bleedthrough or showthrough whatsoever!) - maybe I'm just terribly lucky? Because I used pretty saturated ink and a medium nib. (PS, that is, if the date on the last page is anything to go by, that should be the year/paper we're referring to in the post-and-pre-2008 debate, right?)

Anyways, I'm so thrilled to see you added one of my favourite authors to this range (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry) and I can't wait for that notebook to land in my mailbox (soon...)!

Edited by missnibs

Glad you "bumped" this topic. I was looking for it and couldn't remember where I'd seen this. :embarrassed_smile:

Glad you "bumped" this topic. I was looking for it and couldn't remember where I'd seen this. :embarrassed_smile:

You're welcome! I found it because I was doing a forum-wide search for Paperblanks related stuff :D