The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pharmacist's Oriens-Occidens Iron Gall Ink

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:30

As you maybe know, I'm a fan of Pharmacist's Iron Gall ink, so when I saw he was experimenting with non blue-black i-g ink, I was hooked. The wait seemed long, but two weeks ago Pharmacist announced that tha ink was ready, and last week I received a parcel from Belgium.

Inside, three bottles of ink : Terra Incinerata (green -> dark green), this Oriens-Occidens (orange -> brown) and the standard Document ink (blue -> blue-black).

I love Terra Incinerata, but an orange-brown i-g ink was too tempting not to try it, so I inked my home-ground Waterman Kultur with Oriens-Occidens to test it first. And here you have the review :

Ink review - Pharmacist's Oriens-Occidens iron gall ink

Water resistance : it's an iron gall ink, so it resist water! The bottom of the review has been submerged in water for 1 minute. Orange dye has completely disappeared, but the brown iron-gall is fully visible, and readable!

Ink review - Pharmacist's Oriens-Occidens iron gall ink

A wonderful ink, with all the properties I like in iron gall inks, but in a new and nice color. Great work, Pharmacist!

Review also posted on my blog
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:13

Nice review!! Could you please describe the colour change a bit, e.g. what "type" of orange changes into what brown? Maybe a few examples of other inks (not necessarily scanned). How "old" is your writing before you scanned it?

Thanks
Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:39

Thanks for the review. I have been contemplating joining the queue for the next set of inks Pharmacist comes out with, but I do not know which among them would be both interesting and reasonably nice-feeling coming out of an extra fine nib. This one looks very unique, but I am eagerly hoping to see samples of the others as I am more into the blues and greens, and even the sepia one looked pretty neat.
Robert.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 14:54

Thanks for the review -- I didn't get either this one (wasn't sure I wanted an orange, even if it did turn brown) or Pharmacist's Blue-Black, but i did order the other three colors.
Looks as if I should consider adding it to the "let's try this one at some point" list....
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Like the Terra Incinerata, this looks to be a nice ink for doing artwork with....

Edited by inkstainedruth, 03 May 2012 - 14:54.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 16:00

Thanks for the review -- I didn't get either this one (wasn't sure I wanted an orange, even if it did turn brown) or Pharmacist's Blue-Black, but i did order the other three colors.
Looks as if I should consider adding it to the "let's try this one at some point" list....

ETA: Like the Terra Incinerata, this looks to be a nice ink for doing artwork with....

If you ever get a chance to take a photo of some of the other inks in use, please do! p
Robert.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 16:16

If you ever get a chance to take a photo of some of the other inks in use, please do! p

Haven't tried them yet -- I want to put at least one in my fire-hose of a Vector when it's empty (and cleaned really really well) after using up the sample of Diamine Registrars Blue Black I have.

edited for typos...

Edited by inkstainedruth, 03 May 2012 - 16:17.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:32

Wow, looks great. I'm sorry I didn't get any of the first batch.

#8 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:56

Looks great! Glad I have already asked to be on the list for the next batch!
THANKS for the review!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#9 pharmacist

pharmacist

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 18:09

My goodness.....are you girls and guys all crazy :blink: . You are forcing me to start an ink factory...I have never realized my ink brewing hobby turns to be so appreciated by so many nice FPN members :blush: .
Suppose I am going to formulate a purple or red iron gall ink, would it be.....:gaah: .

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 18:25

Well, you *do* know that you have no-one to blame for it but yourself (for having such amazing colors and showing us your latest experiments)!
If you formulated a purple that would be wonderful. Of course, people would have to be saving their spare change for airfare so that they could camp out on your doorstep, waiting for your latest batches.
:roflmho:
There are worse ways to have a mid-life crisis than to start a business completely unrelated to your occupation -- I should know (my husband started a mobile bakery, and at the moment we kinda do one event a year -- but 1000 miles from where we live...).

#11 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:15

My goodness.....are you girls and guys all crazy :blink: . You are forcing me to start an ink factory...I have never realized my ink brewing hobby turns to be so appreciated by so many nice FPN members :blush: .
Suppose I am going to formulate a purple or red iron gall ink, would it be.....:gaah: .

Pharmacist's Ink Brewery, it sounds great!
You'd have many faithful customers, as you can see...
Posted Image

#12 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:56

would it be something we want...uhhhh...yup! :)
As well as the green, orange...well you get the idea! :thumbup:
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#13 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:43

Pharmacist's Ink Brewery, it sounds great!...

Goodness! Not another Belgian brewery! Posted Image

Edited by saintsimon, 04 May 2012 - 06:43.

#14 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:10

Writing with a Belgian ink while sipping a Belgian beer, priceless!
Posted Image

#15 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56

Actually I prefer the Oriens-Occidens over the beer. I've inked my pen today with it, and I've seldom experienced so much fun while writing with a new ink. It's just lovely to see the ink above turning. I know the effect from other IG inks, but with these colors it's absolutely great!

Thank you for making this possible, Nelson! :thumbup:
Greetings,
Michael

#16 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:19

Indeed, these inks are supremely fun. The Oriens-Occidens turns almost instantly for me from a cheery orange to a very nice brown. I am also using the Darkening Absinthe, which is perfectly named, and has gorgeous shading. Indeed, it's the first dark green I really like.

Nelson, an ink factory sounds like a good idea. :)

#17 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:58

Writing with a Belgian ink while sipping a Belgian beer, priceless!

Especially if it's a lambic! (Ooh, yum... kriek.....)

#18 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 17:13

LostInBrittany what paper were you using? Did the ink continue to change over the course of several days?

Nelson, I think red is an excelent idea!

Edited by Uncle Red, 04 May 2012 - 17:14.

#19 daoud62

daoud62

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 19:31

Nelson, I wholeheartedly support the idea of an ink factory cum brewery. Ink and kriek. Sounds perfect...

As for your next color, I think that it would be amazing to see what you can develop with red OR purple OR both.

As you can see, you have many loyal followers...

David

#20 pharmacist

pharmacist

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 19:32

Hi Uncle Red: red is still not possible. I have to find a feasible dye stuff (red or magenta), which is compatible to the IG compounds and I have tested several dyes and none were compatible, causing a muddy and thick precipitation, totally unsuitable for an ink :embarrassed_smile: .

Sponsored Content

|