Twsbi Vac 700 Review

drav

Thank you for the review and especially the excellent and detailed pictures.

What is the function of the O-ring that is visible at the base of the section, right above the cap to barrel threads?

Does the barrel step interfere while holding the pen to write?

How far do we have to unscrew the knob to open the shutoff valve?

What is the ink capacity when the barrel is fully filled?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drav

• Zanshin

• Amandaa

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the review and especially the excellent and detailed pictures.

What is the function of the O-ring that is visible at the base of the section, right above the cap to barrel threads?

Does the barrel step interfere while holding the pen to write?

How far do we have to unscrew the knob to open the shutoff valve?

What is the ink capacity when the barrel is fully filled?

Thanks!

Hari

Your welcome!

I have looked at that O-ring and the best I can determine is that it makes the cap feel like it is tightening down solidly. Unlike a screwdown cap on something like a Pelikan where it stops suddenly, the O-ring makes it feel tight. There is one on the 540 as well, but the threads are also cut different and screwing the 700 cap on feels more "luxurious" to me. That is the best way I can describe it. They both go on solid.

I tend to "choke" the nib, that is my fingers are right up on the end of the section and I usually end up with some ink on one of my fingers. So to me, the barrel step does not interfere.

Regarding the shutoff, I imagine it would take only a few threads backing off to loosen it, but to be honest, I did not test it with water. I usually back it off until the blind cap is off the threads. The cap does not post on the blind cap, so that is not an issue. And even full of ink, the blind cap will not spring out or leak.

According to TWSBI, a standard fill on a 700 is about 1.1 mls. I did not measure, but maybe around 1.3 ml for a complete fill would be my guess based on their diagram.

Hope that helps. If I had a measuring container, I might dump out my ink and measure it. But I'll most likely wait until I run out and am running water through it.

Dan

Is that a #6 nib? I'd have to find a replacement from a vintage pen. That steel one just doesn't do it for me

It is a Bock nib, and if I remember correctly, it is a #6. I just don't have the reference. Same as the Micarta though.'

If you don't mind me asking, how do you do the replacement?

Best regards,

Dan

The nib and feed unscrew as a unit. You can buy blank #6 nibs from some sellers or you can, if you find one that fits, use a vintage nib from another pen.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

I have just received my Amber 700 and I can say that at least on my monitor the last picture and the one with the 540 are just a bit darker than the true color and the third picture is perhaps a bit lighter than the actual color. Unfortunately monitors vary so much I can only go by what I see. I have not yet inked mine (but it will be inked soon).

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Excellent review and thanks for detailed photos. I don't know which I should choose: amber or smoked. The pen is great and fill a gap at FP market because there was no vac fill pen for less than $200! This is absolutely great for FP lovers! I wish all the best for TWSBI!

I received my 700 yesterday and I absolutely love it. My nib is not dry at all! It is a fine. The flow is perfect. Not too wet; but no matter how fast I write or make quick strokes the flow is able to keep up. The fit and finish of the pen seems excellent. The filling is smooth.

On a sad note I retired my twsbi 530...I think I've replaced every piece you can replace, and some of them 2x, with parts graciously provided by speedy, but both the cap ring and screws on the nib unit cracking off in the same day was too much! The plastic quality issue was really unfortunate, so I hope its resolved in the 700! I love the design of both the piston and vac twsbi's.

I did see a comment on the facebook page that alluded the 'new' plastic was used in the 700...does anybody know for sure?

Edited by Libertas

I received my 700 yesterday and I absolutely love it. My nib is not dry at all! The flow is perfect. Not too wet; but no matter how fast I write or make quick strokes the flow is able to keep up. The fit and finish of the pen seems excellent. The filling is smooth.

On a sad note I retired my twsbi 530...I think I've replaced every piece you can replace, and some of them 2x, with parts graciously provided by speedy, but both the cap ring and screws on the nib unit cracking off in the same day was too much! The plastic quality issue was really unfortunate, so I hope its resolved in the 700! I love the design of both the piston and vac twsbi's.

I did see a comment on the facebook page that alluded the 'new' plastic was used in the 700...does anybody know for sure?

Maybe they'll call it "precious resin"!

A video of the full-fill with a flip method is here, shown with a Pilot 823.

http://dizzypen.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/pilot-custom-823-one-of-my-favorites/

Size comparison:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7117/7142230897_083191f3aa.jpg

It's bigger. I think I still like the look of the 832 better, and it's hard to beat that nib, but the 700 has a very smooth "F" nib that writes a similar line to the 823's M. As far as flex, I find the line width at least doubles with moderate pressure on the 700. Flow is perfect for me with 80/20 Noodlers BB/H2O. Maybe dry for some, but I like nibs I can use without the ink soaking through non-elite paper.

Only thing that gave me a "cheap pen" feeling was that the section unscrewed easily from the barrel when I got the pen (otherwise I'd never have opened that), and I got to see the little secret... it wants to be a C/C pen. No, a cartridge will not fit, but you can see the fitting down in there, showing that it's not a bespoke nib unit. OTOH, that you can unscrew the section without voiding a warranty or causing a leak does mean it's easy to clean, lube, or even eyedropper fill if you want to (2.1mL capacity).

FWIW, these pens are so large I wouldn't ever post the cap, even though you can.

I received my 700 yesterday and I absolutely love it. My nib is not dry at all! It is a fine. The flow is perfect. Not too wet; but no matter how fast I write or make quick strokes the flow is able to keep up. The fit and finish of the pen seems excellent. The filling is smooth.

Sorry about the 530! I must have got my 540 after they changed the formulation or whatever. One day I was scoring targets at a range when the wind whipped up and threw the 540 and the target onto the concrete floor from about 3.5 feet. There is a rough spot on the twist cap where it impacted, but no other scratches and no cracking. Well made!

Like you, I only saw the facebook page note on the new plastic.

Cheers,

Dan

Only thing that gave me a "cheap pen" feeling was that the section unscrewed easily from the barrel when I got the pen (otherwise I'd never have opened that), and I got to see the little secret... it wants to be a C/C pen. No, a cartridge will not fit, but you can see the fitting down in there, showing that it's not a bespoke nib unit. OTOH, that you can unscrew the section without voiding a warranty or causing a leak does mean it's easy to clean, lube, or even eyedropper fill if you want to (2.1mL capacity).

FWIW, these pens are so large I wouldn't ever post the cap, even though you can.

Would you happen to have the TWSBI bottle? If you do I'd love to know if you can use the aluminum cap to fill it (with the section off). If you can, that would be absolutely amazing...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I do, and no, the barrel is just wide open at the top. I agree, a vac fill through that bottle-top adapter would be cool to watch.

Size comparison:

It's bigger. I think I still like the look of the 832 better, and it's hard to beat that nib, but the 700 has a very smooth "F" nib that writes a similar line to the 823's M. As far as flex, I find the line width at least doubles with moderate pressure on the 700. Flow is perfect for me with 80/20 Noodlers BB/H2O. Maybe dry for some, but I like nibs I can use without the ink soaking through non-elite paper.

Dang, I hadn't realized it's such a big pen! I'm worried it might be too long for my pen box. A Sheaffer Snorkel fits, but a longer pen won't. At least the Vac comes in a nice box. :)

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I believe there is supposed to be another ink bottle to use with the 700....or at least some sort of "traveling ink pot" device.....

I do, and no, the barrel is just wide open at the top. I agree, a vac fill through that bottle-top adapter would be cool to watch.

Supposedly, they'll be coming out with an adaptor for the 700. That said, it is easy enough to fill to the brim using the method shown in a link above.

:thumbup:

Dan

Supposedly, they'll be coming out with an adaptor for the 700. That said, it is easy enough to fill to the brim using the method shown in a link above.

:thumbup:

Dan

Their option is a traveling inkpot yes, but you have to go with full nib submersion. I like the TWSBI bottle, because you don't have to submerge a nib, so its one less part to clean (or infect your ink supply...)

*edit* I realize its an odd proposition for an integrated filler for a pen ( i expect "why not eyedropper???"), but sometimes when I'm in a hurry and I don't know if the nib is clean or not...

Edited by Surnia

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Thanks for the review. So there are no "nib units" for this pen? I see there are no versions offered with a 1.1mm nib like the 530/540 has available. Can you disassemble the nib and feed? At least this pen posts properly, unlike the 530/540.

Size comparison:

The "double plunge" technique shown in the dizzypen video is the easiest way I've seen to get a full fill in a vac. But a generous ink window or (preferably) a demonstrator pen helps to see what you're doing.

However, when looking for TWSBI Vac 700 stuff, I stumbled across this kludge for getting a full fill into a Vac 700:

Twsbi Vac 700 special ink feeding tool

Thanks for the review. So there are no "nib units" for this pen? I see there are no versions offered with a 1.1mm nib like the 530/540 has available. Can you disassemble the nib and feed? At least this pen posts properly, unlike the 530/540.

A clear version of the pen as well as different nibs are set to release later this year (theoretically).