Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten Bl/zw (#10)

lapis

After friend and fellow FPNer Tinta shared some of this ink with me (tack tack,Tinta!), I have come to like it very much. I don't find it that dry at all: for an IG ink, it flows nicely. Nº 10 has become my daily work ink, and the last bottle of old MB Midnight Blue is saved for those occasions when the white tie and tails come out.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• raging.dragon

• tinta

• tenney

Very good comparisons of IG inks.

One question: I've often read that IG inks should not be shaken or stirred because of the sediment that forms at the bottom. So... how do you keep sediment out of the pen with the 'flip over' Akkerman bottle? I'd do it by turning the bottle upside down, and then letting it sit for 15 minutes or so to make the sediment settle on the 'bottom' (marble) of the upper compartment.

I've never heard that IGs shouldn't be shaken. Shaking (any ink) is a very subjective topic. I never shake. If there is any sediment in any ink, I either filter or centrifuge or let stand and then try out my luck in an inexpensive pen first. Otherwise, I just chuck it out.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 years later...

Despite all the good information about the relative harmfullness of Iron Gall ink in modern pens:

I'll have to shock :yikes: the Ijzer Galnoten fans of Akkerman:

Too many problems with this ink (and with Diep DuinwaterBlauw) are forcing Akkerman to stop selling the Ijzer Galnoten Inkt when they run out of stock.

So once the last bottle is sold there will be no more Akkerman Iron Gall :crybaby:

It was confirmed to me today by one of the staff members. I was informed before in the store itself when buying Diep Duinwater blauw.

Necro post here, but perhaps it's more-or-less important to Akkerman and iron-gall fans to note that I just bought a bottle of Akkerman Ijzer Galnoten Inkt today (well, ordered one) and the only shortage I noticed was that the store had only seven bottles of it in stock. Dunno, it could be that Akkerman cancelled production and then reformulated and reissued the ink before I ever knew it existed.

<esc> 2017

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Necro post here, but perhaps it's more-or-less important to Akkerman and iron-gall fans to note that I just bought a bottle of Akkerman Ijzer Galnoten Inkt today (well, ordered one) and the only shortage I noticed was that the store had only seven bottles of it in stock. Dunno, it could be that Akkerman cancelled production and then reformulated and reissued the ink before I ever knew it existed.

I bought a bottle from Vanness, and have not heard anything recently about this ink being discontinued. All the mentions I've seen of it around here have been positive.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Excellent review.

Would you use this in a MontBlanc 149...I don't see why you wouldn't unless I am missing something.

If you feel this can be can used in a 149 I will buy a bottle.

This would be a perfect work ink.

Very professional plus I like the fact that it is wetter than Salix.

Regards,

David

Given that Montblanc used to produce an excellent iron gall ink, I would have no hesitation in using it.

I have it in my Lamy 2000 at work at the moment and it is superb!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Mike,

Excellent review.

Would you use this in a MontBlanc 149...I don't see why you wouldn't unless I am missing something.

If you feel this can be can used in a 149 I will buy a bottle.

This would be a perfect work ink.

Very professional plus I like the fact that it is wetter than Salix.

Regards,

David

Sorry for the delay. Yes, this ink is more than okay in a 149. Or in a 147 (same deal). Or in my M1000, M900 etc. which are just as excellent a pen (and expensive). Getting back to IGs, this ink (Akkerman's No. 10) remains the "best" blue-black IG I have and use. Also, I agree 100% with what silverlifter wrote!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks Mike and Silverlifter.

I think I will get a bottle tonight.

They finally have Shocking Blue and Voorhout finally in stock. I know this is off topic...

would you consider these professional colors (Shocking Blue and Voorhout) as well and do I have to worry about staining my ink window.

Regards,

David

Edited by NeverTapOut

I had a bottle of shocking blue and it is a lovely colour, fine for work. I traded it, however, as it took forever to dry on Tomoe River or Midori paper (which is what I use for meeting notes at work). This is a problem with all heavily saturated and sheening inks. One of the reasons I am almost only using iron galls at work now.

Edit: the Voorhout Violet looks like it would be fine in most professional settings, all but the most formal anyway. You could also swap it out for a KWZ IG Violet or R&K Scabiosa if it had inordinately long dry times as well (and you wanted some more permanence).

Edited by silverlifter

Silverlifter,

Are you using mainly IG?

I there any other companies that produce a wetter IG other than Akkerman.

I found R&K IG's too dry for my taste.

Thanks,

David

Yes, almost all IG's nowadays.

If you want wetter, then KWZ is the way to go. Konrad's iron galls are the wettest of all of them. There is also a wide range of colours to choose from.

There is a tradeoff, however: some of them, especially the more colourful inks, are much milder. This is great in terms of pen maintenance, insofar as you really can treat them like any other ink, but less so if you are seeking hard core permanence (they will still be legible after a dunking, but much less so than the more traditional iron galls, like ESSRI, DRI, or even KWZ IG Blue Black and the lower number Blues).