The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jinhao Century Mk 2

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:13

An update:

After 4.5 months of pretty intensive use, the chrome trim on the cap rings is showing sign of wear and looks fairly tired - the rings have a dark grey central band around them, the chipped area of plating I showed originally has grown a fair bit. However the barrel is showing no signs of wear. The barrel finial is starting to go grey on the corners of the finial where the paint has worn thin.

However, the pen is still nice to write with.

Regards,

Richard.

Sponsored Content

#22 picautomaton

picautomaton

picautomaton

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:28

Hey Richard, may I ask if you could check wether the nib sections are interchangeable? I have an additional two Duofold International nib sections and may just look at getting a couple of Jinhaos to house them.
"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

#23 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:36

They are not interchangable at all. The Jinhao uses a totally different thread (pitch & diameter) from the Parker I'm afraid.

Regards,

Richard.

#24 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20

This post is to report back on durability after 10 months of fairly regular use. The pen has been inked since I got it, and has never been out of my rotation and has been used regularly alongside Parker Duofolds, P51's an Onoto Magna Classic and the FPN Stipula Etruria. However, unlike the Etruria, it is still in my rotation.

The cap rings are looking a bit tired and grey in colour with a little bit of brass showing through in the areas of highest wear. The paint on the barrel finial is showing a little wear, there is a very narrow brass coloured ring (0.1 to 0.2mm wide) all the way around the end corner of the barrel finial. The cap finial paint is unworn. The barrel/cap material appears unscratched, and the only place it has suffered is when I dropped the cap onto the edge of a bit of crockery and chipped a lump out of the cap lip. This sanded back quite nicely and now I have a wavy cap lip. I will machine it straight sometime.

I accidentally discovered yesterday that the cap finial on the Mk2 Century unscrews and has a thread not too dissimilar to an M4 - I will check next time I'm in the workshop as I have a tap & die for that size. Once I get 7 pens finished, I may end up making a lighter finial for the Jinhao, as the cap finial doubles the weight of the cap. It's quite remarkable how heavy such a small lump of metal is.

Once the finial is off, it's possible to see the clip attachment, and possibly fit an alternative clip if you have one:
Posted Image

There was a smear of glue on mine, may be more on others.

In the photo, you can just see the recess in the cap lip at the top of the photo where the tiny bite came out of it where I dropped it and the greyish rather than silvery hue of the cap rings.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy, 27 February 2013 - 10:22.
Tripe writing errors.

#25 Mister John

Mister John

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:08

If you're looking for the definitive Parker Duofold Centennial replacement, I recommend the Kaigelu 316. It has much to recommend it--well built, nice nib, good writer. Its main flaws are weight (heavy) and balance (top heavy with cap posted).

#26 Thier.

Thier.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2015 - 19:38

I personnaly love the Kaigelu 316 . The amber version is so .............  great !!!!

#27 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 14:27

Richard, I want to thank you for the very thorough and ultra professional reviews of the Jinhao pens. 
I sincerely appreciate them!...

Sponsored Content

|