31 replies to this topic

#21 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:05

Alas, I've noticed this, too. It used to happen only occasionally, and now almost every postcard I receive has a similar blemish. Postcards are also taking days more travel time, and I receive them all in a batch... 4-5 postcards on one day, letters on a separate day. Very interesting. Methinks it must have to do with major mail sorting changes (and sorting center consolidations) in the U.S. Postal Service.

Same here-no postcards then *poof* a stack of them appears.
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 sharonspens

sharonspens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:17

I used to make fabric postcards, with card stock backs for addresses. I can't find the name of the product right now, but I did find these digital photo postcards for interested parties: http://www.dickblick...ital-postcards/
I purchase commercial postcards in gift shops in tourist areas, or bookstores on college campuses. Local museums are another good source of cards.
Sharon in Indiana
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, to make your world a better place.

#23 tophercarlton

tophercarlton

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2012 - 22:48

Same issue here...

I'm relatively new to FPN, and only yesterday added myself to the Postcard Exchange. I went out today to look for some at Walgreens, CVS, Kroger, and a few other places, but NOTHING. Like some of you mentioned, I'm gonna have to step up my game. I haven't experienced the glossy ones yet - they sound terrible for FPs... :unsure:
Posted Image

#24 ChelleW

ChelleW

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 20:06

I also make my own from pictures I have taken, I purchase the backings it works great.

What kind of backing do you use and where do you buy it? Are they already cut to size?

They're called photo postcard backings. There are a few different makers. I've used the ones from Howard Packaging Corp. I picked mine up from my local photo shop chain (Ritz) but they're also available on amazon.
Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

#25 tophercarlton

tophercarlton

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 20:24

You can also find picture postcards at truckstops...excuse me, they want to be called travel centers now.

Went to a Pilot truck stop...er...oops, "travel center," and whadda-ya-know, I found quite a few specific to Ohio. I'll be danged...LOL

~ Topher
Posted Image

#26 Vulcan1066

Vulcan1066

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:56

I work in a National Park and our gift store stocks postcards. When I travel to different parks I always hit their bookstore to see what cards are available. Some have the slick cards but most I have found are somewhat fountain pen friendly.
Another good place to look for postcards is hospital gift shops and hotel gift shops; at least that is where I have had luck finding them.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

#27 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:09

Online sources:

Chronicle Books has some, ships to US

Pomegranate has lots, as singles, packs, books and boxes

Dover Publications has padded cards

There are many sellers on Etsy, of original art and vintage postcards as well.

And you can download digital art and print it into postcards on your printer. Search Etsy for ACEO, digital art. Avery (yeah, the label people) have free templates for both 2 and 4 on a page, and they sell micro-perfed card stock to fit. Or you can just use card stock and scissors or a paper cutter.

ETA: If you sign up with Dover, they send a weekly email with links to some free digital art that you can save and use for your own cards.

Edited by CatBookMom, 11 August 2012 - 03:11.

#28 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 19:27

Alas, I've noticed this, too. It used to happen only occasionally, and now almost every postcard I receive has a similar blemish. Postcards are also taking days more travel time, and I receive them all in a batch... 4-5 postcards on one day, letters on a separate day. Very interesting. Methinks it must have to do with major mail sorting changes (and sorting center consolidations) in the U.S. Postal Service.

Same here-no postcards then *poof* a stack of them appears.

Fascinating. And you live in a very different part of the country than I do.

#29 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:14

I live in a small rural type area, though it is also a resort destination, one (national chain) drug store, a couple local grocery stores, gas stations... Next time I'm near the ski resorts I'll see what they offer, then the big city where they still sell real pens.

SLC, I'm assuming, based on your location and post clues. Try Tabula Rasa at Trolley Station. I loved their cards and stationery--one of the things I miss most about being out west. I can't remember if they have postcards, but check across the way at the gag gift shop. They are/were owned by the same management and maybe would have something acceptable.

#30 Tdot

Tdot

Get off my lawn

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:55

HeeHee- Trolley Square (they say when you get old that your memory...). But yes, Tabula Rasa is a fun shop with great stationary goods, I used to frequent them when they first started at the Crossroads location. However it's more than out of the way, on the other side of the mountain range and more than 50 miles from here. Not a real big deal, but basically plan a day trip to look for a postcard.

Lots of good recommendations but same story. There just aren't any close options. I did stop at a thrift store and found a few, but they were left overs from other vacation land marks and hotels (China, Korea, Hawaii...). I'd at least like to send send things that are relevant to where I am, or things I've done.

Though I'm sure there are some great cards the internet, I just don't want to order them online. I'm a big fan of internet shopping for everything from electronics to tires because of my location, but not pens, paper, shoes, or things that I just have to touch first.

My real gripe is the ironic fact that modern postcards are made of materials that can't be written on. No wonder people don't buy them, and if they don't sell, stores won't stock them, so...? :bonk:

I am capable of making my own cards (I do it frequently for others), I'm simply disappointed that I can't walk into a local shop pick a real card off the rack.
Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

#31 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:02

Good luck with the postcards. You prompted me to look through my pile. I found some FP friendly cards from Bluff and Canyonlands, so if you're ever down south, keep heart.

Edited by bphollin, 23 August 2012 - 12:03.

#32 Tdot

Tdot

Get off my lawn

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 21:07

Years back, when I lived in SLC, I had more freedom with my weekends and traveled every week south to Arches, Canyonlands, Zions, or west through the salt & deserts, or east over the mountains (where I live now). Back then I could find real postcards everywhere, including here, but I suspect that this is more of an industry/technology change. I'm betting that I would find plastic coated cards in Moab too. :angry:
Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

[Sponsored Content]