Sloped Roman Lettering

caliken

The words are by Edward Johnston and the lettering devised by Byron J Macdonald.

The combination of very short ascenders and squat, extended lettering, produces an appearance which is very even and clean.

This was written with a Manuscript pen filled with black Parker Quink ink and on Mondi 100 gsm paper.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/ByronJMacdonald500.jpg

Edited by caliken

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Cerbeos

• Stompie

• Nimmireth

Anything written by you has an even and clean appearance Ken :notworthy1: Beautiful as always.

Thanks, xxloverxx. I'm glad that you like it.

Ken

Ken, please teach my laser printer to print as beautifully as you do!

John

I've spent the last few years improving my penmanship, but each time I see a new script, I set out to change my handwriting again. Italic has not worked well for me because I write fat letters. But this Roman letting, this I could do.

Do you have any pointers for someone trying to develop a pleasing, quick and feminine (cursive) writing style?

I've spent the last few years improving my penmanship, but each time I see a new script, I set out to change my handwriting again.

I have the same problem (On top of a lack of patience :()!

Seeing Caliken's work on here just makes me even more upset haha.

As always, beautiful work Caliken!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/ByronJMacdonald500.jpg

While studying this beautiful piece of work, it suddenly struck me that I was admiring 'printing' and not a handwritten cursive script. It made me regret the somewhat snide comments I made in another thread, referring to printed scripts as what many of us older members remember as the lessons of primary school, before growing up and joining up our letters! This is a long way from that juvenile lettering, but it is still printing, in the sense that it's not cursive. I suspect that a great many of us wish their handwriting could look like this and, if so, would happily return to printing! Well done, Ken, for continuing to bring light to our discussions and beauty to our eyes!

Edited by katim

While studying this beautiful piece of work, it suddenly struck me that I was admiring 'printing' and not a handwritten cursive script. It made me regret the somewhat snide comments I made in another thread, referring to printed scripts as what many of us older members remember as the lessons of primary school, before growing up and joining up our letters! This is a long way from that juvenile lettering, but it is still printing, in the sense that it's not cursive. I suspect that a great many of us wish their handwriting could look like this and, if so, would happily return to printing! Well done, Ken, for continuing to bring light to our discussions and beauty to our eyes!

Ken -

Thanks for your comments.

I responded in exactly the same way as yourself, to printing as "juvenile lettering" and I now find that I am contradicting myself (not for the first time, I'm sure!)

I came across this style and like it a lot, so I'm guilty as charged!

Ken

Edited by caliken

Nimmireth -

If, as you say, you like fat letters, the only suggestions I can make, are to space the letters quite closely together, use a fairly broad nib in relation to the chosen 'x' height (to add strength) and think 'wide' as you are writing!

When practicing this style, use 'tramlines'. In other words, lined paper for the top and bottom of the lettering (baseline & waistline) to keep the writing even. Lines which are 4mm or 5mm apart are fine.

Ken

Edited by caliken

These are beautifully consistent and legible letters -- as your letters always are, good sir, no matter what the script!

I must have got a reject Manuscript pen cause mine don't write like that!

Very nice Ken!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/IMAG0162.jpg

Ken, do you have any videos of your work with different hands? The only way I can get anything to look remotely presentable is by taking forever on each and every word.

Obviously part of the lack of speed on my part is the lack of experience, but just curious to how fast the pro can go!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Ken, do you have any videos of your work with different hands? The only way I can get anything to look remotely presentable is by taking forever on each and every word.

Obviously part of the lack of speed on my part is the lack of experience, but just curious to how fast the pro can go!

The DVD shown in my signature (below) comprises demonstrations of six alphabets followed by short text examples of each. The styles are :

Copperplate : Cursive Italic : Half-Uncial : Formal Italic : Foundational : Blackletter.

However, this may not be what you're looking for, as the writing is at a moderate pace, well short of note-taking handwriting.

IMO to be of most value, it is necessary for the writing to be at a pace which can be studied. To write too fast on a demonstration video, is of limited value.

Having said that, these styles and techniques can be learned and speeded up, and some can be developed as personal handwriting.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• 3 months later...

Looks great. It's funny, I use a manuscript pen and Parker Quink as well. Haven't used the, in awhile, but now I think I will…

When I see writing like that, I find it amazing that it was done by hand. I'm pretty sure my printer has more mistakes.