The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Milord Advanced Cartridge System And Favourite Ink

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:48

Hi all,

a question regarding my new Omas Milord fountain pens is: "can the advanced cartridge system be replaced with a standard converter somehow?" or with longer cartridges, at least. I suppose yes, but I couldn't try to fit converters or longer cartridge (see pics) in the pen, but I'm thinking some industrious person out there has already found the solution.

The Omas "advanced cartridge system" is nothing spectacular; just a sleeve with two international sized cartridges. One is in use and the other is stored as a backup. When the first one is dry you swap the cartridges, as is needs two in place in order to function.

Otherwise, I can refill a mini cartridge with my favourite
ink... But there's a method's to refill and seal the second one? Recharge one mini cartridge at a time, seen their scarce duration, is drying and I'd be forced each time to long cleaning operations of the syringe!

In any event, it would be nice to know. Thanks for your assistance.
Ciao,
Sergio

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks:
Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:55

None that I know of. The problem is that the full size converter won't go in and a short converter will not seal.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:13

This is a frustrating problem.

Beautiful pen--shame.
www.stevelightart.com

#4 eric47

eric47

Tentative bohemian sniffing the celluloid

• Member - Gold

• 4,278 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:45

I remember googling for this "issue" awhile ago when I forgot to double-check whether the Milord I was bidding on was ACS or piston. Luckily I remembered the key term(s), "Richard Binder" :) , which helped me find this again:

http://www.freelists...tridge-System,1

Edited by eric47, 29 April 2012 - 20:47.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

#5 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:52

I remember googling for this "issue" awhile ago when I forgot to double-check whether the Milord I was bidding on was ACS or piston. Luckily I remembered the key term(s), "Richard Binder" :) , which helped me find this again:

http://www.freelists...tridge-System,1

Thanks eric47 for the repy, I've already read it... Googling! :thumbup:

But, I don't understand if anyone has solved and extreme this "solution" works or not!?
pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks:
Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

#6 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:54

I have a cartridge fill Milord, yet the sleeve that holds the cartridges has a screw top that allows it to accept long cartridges, such as Waterman. I like using those, as the pen has a broad nib and is something of a lovely paintbrush, so it goes through ink quickly.

#7 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 21:05

I have a cartridge fill Milord, yet the sleeve that holds the cartridges has a screw top that allows it to accept long cartridges, such as Waterman. I like using those, as the pen has a broad nib and is something of a lovely paintbrush, so it goes through ink quickly.

Like this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

inks:

#8 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41

Yes exactly -- except mine is gold tone to match the pen's hardware. It currently holds a long Pelikan cartridge. I've had no problems with either the long Pelikan or Waterman cartridges in this pen.

#9 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:56

Yes exactly -- except mine is gold tone to match the pen's hardware. It currently holds a long Pelikan cartridge. I've had no problems with either the long Pelikan or Waterman cartridges in this pen.

Mine ACS is not the same, I think that it should be a previus version to yours. In any case, I will try to purchase the long cartridges Pelikan/Waterman and will test if they fit in the ACS... Like this:

Posted Image

Thank you for the advice.

inks:

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:47

The cartridge tray on this pen bears a direct resemblance to the MB system:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The notch in the middle of the tray is designed to hold a single short cartridge alone without the support of the backup cartridge, if the user so wishes. This notch disallows the use of a single long international cartridge.

Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#11 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:42

News....

Buyed today a Waterman long cartridge pack...

Posted Image

Posted Image

1° attempt: the long cartridge slip in the ACS without notch issue... But (sigh!) after mount the ACS in the pen the cartridge does not come "pierced" and the ink doesn't came out from the nib... I think for fault of the superior spring, that evidently, makes it pull back of some millimetre! :x

2° attempt: disheartened, I filled a Waterman mini cartridge with Noodler Black and the pen became "constipated", in practice the nib skip on the paper and writes with strokes!

3° attempt: I have find oldest mini cartridges From Delta (completely black design) and… Miracle! Now it writes, has been able to appreciate this nib with a beautiful fine, with a bit of usual OMAS nib flexibility, but not the same on my three Paragon's fountain pen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is Delta mini cartridges (approximately 12/15 years ago) differently of the Waterman ones has the collar little slightly longer graft and above all more rigid, finally the ink that hold is more fluid… Then the other surprise has been the ink, is a very beatiful black, is not typical the grayish one of many black inks, must say that is looking identically to the Aurora Black!

... At the end this is a little writing test of my new OMAS Milord HT ACS.

One strange thing on this Fine nib is that writes with a stroke thinner of the EF size mounted on my Paragon in celluloid. Nevertheless there it is to be said that, in any case, the nibs are different, Milord one is little smaller;

Posted Image

This pic is the test of comparison with the big "sisters" Omas Paragon's in celluloid with EF and F nib sizes.

Posted Image

I think that, in any case, the feeder or the ink hole ink in this pen should centre something. This Milord is on a dry side, in contrast to the three Paragon's, but they are piston filler... Please, take a look if there is something that does not go behind the nib!

Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sergio

inks:

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:23

Sergio, your attempt to use the long waterman's cartridge failed because of the notch. The notch bends the cartridge into an arc. Thus the linear distance between the nozzle and the back of the cartridge reduces, so in effect, the cartridge length reduces. Further, the nozzle is no longer square or normal to the cartridge piercing nipple.

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#13 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:02

Sin, if not there are other solutions I will resign to use only mini cartridges with this pen! :crybaby:

inks:

#14 eric47

eric47

• Member - Gold

• 4,278 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:12

About nib width, I can tell from the first photo that your Milord has an old nib made inhouse at Omas. Inhouse nibs run thinner than the Bock made nibs. I find that an Omas inhouse F is as thin if not thinner than a Bock made EF.

So if your Paragons have Bock made nibs that may explain why the Milord F is producing a thinner line.

Fans of thin width nibs, like me, prefer the inhouse nib, even when for instance the 18k inhouse nibs are more rigid than the later Bock 18k nibs.

If you post a photo of the Paragon nib I should be able to tell you if It was made by Bock or Omas.

Edited by eric47, 01 May 2012 - 12:13.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

#15 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 13:27

About nib width, I can tell from the first photo that your Milord has an old nib made inhouse at Omas. Inhouse nibs run thinner than the Bock made nibs. I find that an Omas inhouse F is as thin if not thinner than a Bock made EF.

So if your Paragons have Bock made nibs that may explain why the Milord F is producing a thinner line.

Fans of thin width nibs, like me, prefer the inhouse nib, even when for instance the 18k inhouse nibs are more rigid than the later Bock 18k nibs.

If you post a photo of the Paragon nib I should be able to tell you if It was made by Bock or Omas.

The nibs

Milord Fine

Posted Image

Paragon Saffron Blue Fine

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think this pen was not cleaned perfectly from the seller... I've dismounted the nib section simple with my fingers and after a 3 pass clean with different solution to eliminate all kinds of inks: 1 (water+soak) - 2 (water+ammonia) - 3 (water+vinegar plus dish soap)... Now my "Milord" writes a beatiful FINE wet line! :thumbup:

That's all folks!

Posted Image

Sergio

inks:

#16 eric47

eric47

• Member - Gold

• 4,278 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 13:33

Looks to me like all your Paragons have Bock made nibs. Excellent photos of the single nibs. The Milord is an old inhouse Omas nib.

#17 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 13:47

Looks to me like all your Paragons have Bock made nibs. Excellent photos of the single nibs. The Milord is an old inhouse Omas nib.

Sorry for the pics, are not the best/clear because, I don't have a macro lens for my reflex!

inks:

#18 eric47

eric47

• Member - Gold

• 4,278 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 18:49

Sorry for the pics, are not the best/clear because, I don't have a macro lens for my reflex!

Non preoccuparti, vanno benissimo. I'm positive about the Milord. A little unsure on some of the Paragons, but the Blue Saffron's nibs looks likes like typical Bock tipping.

#19 scribbler4bread

scribbler4bread

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 21:07

This topic is probably completely dead, but I wanted to add my own experience.

I have only one ACS Omas in my collection, and it has proved very troublesome. It is the type that is supposed to take two short cartridges. I have found that when using the cassette, no cartridge really works satisfactorily -- not even Omas ones, which are now of course growing very rare.

The problem with all of them (and I have tried a dozen different makes) is that, when fitted in the cassette, the nozzle of the cartridge does not protrude enough, and thus does not engage deeply enough with the feed to provide a reliable ink flow. It is also very difficult to get two cartridges into the cassette, the way they are supposed to go.

And the same applies to almost all standard converters, with one exception -- and that is the Visconti converter as used on full-size c/c Viscontis, but not the screw-in type.

This converter actually engages so well with the feed that it's ink-tight and stable. Cost around $10 or less on eBay.

I am considering removing the cassette from the pen completely so as to have room in the barrel for a full-time converter.

Has anyone else found a more elegant solution?

Edited by scribbler4bread, 22 November 2017 - 21:09.

Sponsored Content

|