The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Modified Converter For Use In Kaweco Sport

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Daisy

Daisy

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2012 - 19:34

Well, I kinda took a sudden left turn, and based on the positive report contained in this thread, just now bought a set of these off the Bay. Their main drawback is that they hold very, very little ink -- which to me is kind of bonus -- and if they fit the feed nipple of the Sport, I'm in business.

I may still try that sac/cartridge thing, though. I have the technology. :D

P.S. Found these too, from information contained in this thread, but as I already ordered the squeeze type I'll hold off on trying one, though they look very cool. :D

(edited to add P.S.)

Edited by Daisy, 14 November 2012 - 20:00.

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Sponsored Content

#22 Daisy

Daisy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2012 - 19:38

Fun thread! I love this kind of tinkering.

Hey Flounder! I do too!!! :D

If the barrel is chambered so narrow as to be a spoilsport, could the nipple end be shellaced over a long, thin sac, rather than the other way around?

You mean shellac the outside of the cut end of the sac to the inside of the cut end of the cartridge? Sure, as long as you could temporarily turn the closed end of the sac inside itself up into the cartridge to be able to press on the seam for good adherence, which one could do with just a toothpick... or so it seems to me. :D

Wow, what a good idea!!!

Edited by Daisy, 14 November 2012 - 19:40.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

#23 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 21:52

UPDATE: now working!

I cut the cartridge so that, when fully inserted into the section, less than 1/4" was revealed (actually, about 6.5mm, by my rough measurement). Just enough to use for attaching a No. 18 sac, which I did. But first I sanded down the cut end of the cartridge as Daisy had suggested and it worked. The total sac length is 40mm, and it could have been about 15mm longer if you want it to bump up against the back of the barrel, but I don't think that's a good idea. After the shellac dried I inserted the device into the section and screwed on the barrel - no sticking as before. Then I filled it with PR Spearmint - man, it holds a ton of ink! Almost as much as an Estie - and it is now in my current rotation.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I posted these pics on another thread but thought I'd show them here as well.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#24 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2012 - 23:03

Thank you for this topic... lots of interesting information and ideas to absorb.
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#25 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:00

Very good work.

I was just wondering what is the proper method of filling something like this?

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#26 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 2,982 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:05

Glad it worked out :thumbup: Blimey that is a close fit!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#27 Daisy

Daisy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:15

Sweet!!! Looks good, too! :thumbup:

#28 Daisy

Daisy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:20

I was just wondering what is the proper method of filling something like this?

From the way it looks, he's got more than enough sac on there to operate it as a regular squeeze converter: unscrew the barrel, and with the nib immersed in ink, squish the air out of the sac with your fingers, allowing the resulting vacuum to draw ink into the sac.

If that's not actually the case, I trust he'll tell us. But it doesn't look like he had any problem getting a gracious plenty of ink up in there. :D

#29 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:46

Daisy - thank you for the explanation. I wasn't sure of the length of the modification.

Thought perhaps you needed to partially roll it.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#30 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 18:10

I just did DCP's little conversion this morning and I was actually watching the clock for the hour to pass the shellac was drying. :vbg:

It seems to work just fine. I'm not real sure of the quantity of ink it takes in (vs the original micro cart) but it IS taking it in the "right" way thru the nib and is super easy and quick to refill.

Thanks for the inspiration David! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#31 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,939 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:06

Daisy - thank you for the explanation. I wasn't sure of the length of the modification.

Thought perhaps you needed to partially roll it.

Jacksterp, I'm sorry not to have answered your previous question. The sac length is 4cm total, including the part glued to the neck. I think it could go a little longer, for a total length of 4.5cm - any longer and the sac would start getting into the grooves at the barrel end. And Daisy is right, you fill it by putting the nib into ink and squeezing the sac, similar to a bulb filler, then screw the section back into the barrel and you are up and running.

I just did DCP's little conversion this morning and I was actually watching the clock for the hour to pass the shellac was drying. :vbg:

It seems to work just fine. I'm not real sure of the quantity of ink it takes in (vs the original micro cart) but it IS taking it in the "right" way thru the nib and is super easy and quick to refill.

Thanks for the inspiration David! :thumbup:

Hey Bruce, I'm glad it worked. I think the flow of ink from this homemade contraption is far better than from a cartridge. Plus it was easy and kinda fun to do.

— Samuel Johnson

#32 seffrican

seffrican

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 18:15

By coincidence, since this thread has popped up again, I was trying to trim one of those Monteverde micro converters to fit my Sport. The problem is that the nipple is too long, so it doesn't seat properly. It will connect, which is why people think it works, but a slight jar towards the rear of the pen will unseat the converter.

I have a pile of spare converters that look as if they may pay the role of the Baoer converter described at the start of the thread. Does anyone have a photo of what the original Baoer converter looked like before it was dismantled? That would be helpful.
"Qui plume a, guerre a." - Voltaire

#33 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,692 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:08

I can't fine the exact post now, but somewhere in this thread it was said that when making the squeeze converter, it was optional as to whether to keep the little agitator ball in the completed converter, but that the builder chose to toss the ball out.

During my first attempt I discovered that the ball is not optional...it should NOT be included. If you included the agitator ball, when you try to expel liquid from the rubber bulb, like when you're cleaning the sac by squeezing water in and out, if the ball lodges in the mouth of the cartridge the increasing pressure can blow out the shellac seam.

For my second and third attempts I left out the ball, and didn't have any problems.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#34 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,939 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:41

... For my second and third attempts I left out the ball, and didn't have any problems.

Great advise. That little ball works well in carts but has no real use in the modified squeeze filler we've been making. I sure appreciate all the shared wisdom on FPN.

— Samuel Johnson

#35 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:13

What a cool thread... I just went over to http://www.pendemonium.com and ordered a few sacs and some Orange Shellac to give this a try.

I can't wait to mess around with this.

Thanks for all the info and pics :thumbup:

#36 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03

I cut the cartridge so that, when fully inserted into the section, less than 1/4" was revealed (actually, about 6.5mm, by my rough measurement). Just enough to use for attaching a No. 18 sac, which I did. But first I sanded down the cut end of the cartridge as Daisy had suggested and it worked. The total sac length is 40mm, and it could have been about 15mm longer if you want it to bump up against the back of the barrel, but I don't think that's a good idea. After the shellac dried I inserted the device into the section and screwed on the barrel - no sticking as before. Then I filled it with PR Spearmint - man, it holds a ton of ink! Almost as much as an Estie - and it is now in my current rotation.

Brilliant !!!

I just got my sac and shallac in today and went to work. This was so easy and worked 100%. The pen writes a little wetter which I like and should certainly be holding a LOT more ink as well.

Thank you so much :thumbup:

Posted Image

#37 Inkwellpens

Inkwellpens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:40

This is great, I will order some parts and give it a go. Does the sac go on the outside of the cut cartridge? Or the inside?
www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

#38 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,692 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:20

This is great, I will order some parts and give it a go. Does the sac go on the outside of the cut cartridge? Or the inside?

It would be obvious once you have the pieces in your hand, but the sac goes on the outside.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#39 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 00:19

This thread is excellent and what a coincidence. Just the info I was looking for today. Just got a new Kaweco Sport but the Montverde Mini Converter I bought wasn't even trying to fit. I will have the give the modified sac a go.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#40 seffrican

seffrican

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 16:47

To update this thread with something that may interest those of you who want something like this, I learned about the existence of this item today:

Kaweco Sport Converter

(No connection to FontoPlumo at all.)

Of course, this turns up a week after I actually cut down a slide converter to fit in my Sport Classic Clear...!
"Qui plume a, guerre a." - Voltaire

Sponsored Content

|