• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannzeman

• ticoun

• SamCapote

• amberleadavis

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0374-e1335655748290.jpg

What would you like to know?

Looks just like mine - which wrote nicely for 5-10 minutes (fine nib) then started skipping like mad. I flushed it out, tried again - worse, wouldn't write at all. I did have the top slightly unscrewed. Flushed again, now too wet!! Looks like a Broad.

Any assistance appreciated!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

If you get a good suggestion post here. I'm having the same issue.

I am reaching out to Philip as both of my Vac 700s stop writing after what's in the nib is gone.

DITTO

I'm coming in late on this conversation, but the Vac 700 has a cut-off valve that only allows using what's in the feed and then has to be replenished. As soon as I figured out how to make sure that was disengaged the pen wrote smoothly, flowed perfectly. The top not only has to be left loose, you have to make sure its loose enough to allow the flow. You can almost feel/hear the cut-off disengage.

Edited by writingrav

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we have an incredibly in-depth and extensive review up with multiple videos on how to completely disassemble the 700, how to correctly fill it 100% full, and a couple others. Check it out, there's a lot of content that should keep you occupied for a while.

Does anyone know if the xf nib is as smooth as the fine nib? I have a fine but it writes more like a medium so I would like to try the xf.

• 2 weeks later...

im curious when you guys say u finger tuned to make it write wetter, how do you do that? i just got my vac 700 and i have startup issues and it is very dry

I'm having problems with my pen as well. The pen is so dry that it skips whenever I make any upstrokes. I've washed out my pen, tried several different inks, and write with the top cap open. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I'm having problems with my pen as well. The pen is so dry that it skips whenever I make any upstrokes. I've washed out my pen, tried several different inks, and write with the top cap open. Is there anything else I should be doing?

TWSBI posted a video on their website showing how to adjust the flow. There's also a thread about the subject... right here... Twsbi Nib/feeder/line Width Adjustment

TWSBI posted a video on their website showing how to adjust the flow. There's also a thread about the subject... right here... Twsbi Nib/feeder/line Width Adjustment

im having some pretty bad startup issues, would adjusting the nib to flow wetter like pressing on the fat part of the nib as instructed maybe fix this as well?

im having some pretty bad startup issues, would adjusting the nib to flow wetter like pressing on the fat part of the nib as instructed maybe fix this as well?

It's hard to say, as it depends on the exact cause. After I did the adjustment as shown in the video, my Vac700 was wetter (but still on the dry side) and still had some starting and skipping problems. After I went back and adjusted it with the feeler gauge and made sure there was a gap down the full length of the nib slit, then it became nicely wet and all the problems went away.

However, that was a tricky adjustment, and I suspect most people wouldn't want to hazard it. You might have better luck contacting TWSBI and getting them to do something for you. You already paid for a pen that should work right, and TWSBI seem to be known for good service.

It's hard to say, as it depends on the exact cause. After I did the adjustment as shown in the video, my Vac700 was wetter (but still on the dry side) and still had some starting and skipping problems. After I went back and adjusted it with the feeler gauge and made sure there was a gap down the full length of the nib slit, then it became nicely wet and all the problems went away.

However, that was a tricky adjustment, and I suspect most people wouldn't want to hazard it. You might have better luck contacting TWSBI and getting them to do something for you. You already paid for a pen that should work right, and TWSBI seem to be known for good service.

yeah i sent an email to TWSBI and got a reply from a tech saying to send it in and he will "I'm going to take the nib apart, clean it, probably give it a new feeder,then test it. If it doesn't work still then I will go further and see what else is needed."

Im hoping that means theyll expect the alignment of the nib and all because it does at times feel a bit scratchy as well, im gonna try to send it probably tomorrow if i can make it to the post office. is USPS usually the way you send your pens? mine was shipped to me USPS and it was only like 7 bucks for 2 day shipping, seems much cheaper than UPS

Does anyone know if the xf nib is as smooth as the fine nib? I have a fine but it writes more like a medium so I would like to try the xf.

I don't have a fine nib on a Vac 700 to make a direct comparison, but I can say that the extra-fine nib on my Vac 700 is one of my two smoothest nibs - and the other is the extra-fine on my 540! They are certainly miles smoother than the fine Schmidt nib that was on my first 540, and far smoother than my medium Lamy nibs (steel and gold) and even my medium Viscontis.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0374-e1335655748290.jpg

What would you like to know?

Looks just like mine - which wrote nicely for 5-10 minutes (fine nib) then started skipping like mad. I flushed it out, tried again - worse, wouldn't write at all. I did have the top slightly unscrewed. Flushed again, now too wet!! Looks like a Broad.

Any assistance appreciated!!

It's gone back to be sorted!!

I don't have a fine nib on a Vac 700 to make a direct comparison, but I can say that the extra-fine nib on my Vac 700 is one of my two smoothest nibs - and the other is the extra-fine on my 540! They are certainly miles smoother than the fine Schmidt nib that was on my first 540, and far smoother than my medium Lamy nibs (steel and gold) and even my medium Viscontis.

Interestingly I think my Lamy Nibs are more smooth but less fine than my TWSBI extra fine's. I, likewise, can't speak to a fine nib as I only have extra fine and bold to base it on...But my VAC 700 is smooth. I sometimes get skipping problems but I think that is related to this cut off valve thing everyone is talking about (those of you who have messed with it and figured it out, how did you figure it out, what did you do? Any step by step info would be great). But the pen is smooth, my extra fine is one of my go to pens.

One thing you might try is writing with the top of the nib, I have been and while it is scratchy, it produces the line width I am looking for (I know, I am gonna have to get my nibs turned into Japanese XXF's :( ). But I would say if you don't like how "bold" the fine nib is, get yourself an extra fine and see what you think.

So I was actually thinking about buying a Vac 700 if I liked my 540 when it arrives. It seems that there are some mixed reviews here, so would you guys recommend that I purchase one?

I am reaching out to Philip as both of my Vac 700s stop writing after what's in the nib is gone.

DITTO

And also, who the hell is Philip and what does he do? Thanks guys! :thumbup:

So I was actually thinking about buying a Vac 700 if I liked my 540 when it arrives. It seems that there are some mixed reviews here, so would you guys recommend that I purchase one?

DITTO

He's the owner/inventor/nibmeister of TWSBI

DITTO

He's the owner/inventor/nibmeister of TWSBI

Ohhh!!! Isn't he the one responsible for TWSBI's great customer service? I read somewhere that they have some of the best customer service in the FP industry...

Edited by bobmeister

I have an orange F nib 700 listed in the classifieds if anyone is looking for one.