The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Soennecken 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 15:34

INTRODUCTION:

The Soennecken 10 is a well-made pen that is not often found in the wild or anywhere, so I took first grab when I saw this pen was offered for sale from a fellow member.

Appearance & Design

The Soenncken 10 was a pen that was designed on the slim side, catering to those that favors the slimmer barrel. Soennecken 10 came in a few patterns; one of which is the green lizard that appears on the 222 series. Besides the lizzard pattern, it also came in stripe design that appears on the 333. I am not sure which series came first, but seemingly they share the same celluloid designs used on different models; similar patterns were also seen on the smaller siblings of the 10, the Pony.

Posted Image

Construction & Quality

The construction of the 10 is typical like other Soenneckens of this era, very well made. It does not feel flimsy or fragile in any way, and will sustain another few decades if well cared for. The pen is a piston filler, but I don't have an idea whether it has the same operating mechanism [brass piston rod/sleeve] like that of other models. The seal however, uses poly seals like that of Pelikans, and not cork-- which could be a problem if you need a replacement.

Posted Image

Weight & Dimensions

Please see pictures. As for the weight-- I didn't take any measurements, it's similar to the Pelikan 400 which for me is "just right."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib & Performance

This nib on this pen was probably bent by the previous owner, and was shaped back in place somewhere down the road. However, that did not affect how it wrote--- actually, maybe just a little, but I was not bothered by it. One thing about this nib intrigued me: the venting hole. Before seeing this pen, I didn't know Soennecken made heart-shaped venting hole nibs, and I wasn't able to find any documentation stating they did [not]. I am still looking for the answer. The line on this nib is about F/M and flexes to a B, however, it's not recommended.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Filling System & Maintenance

Piston-filler; dissembly not recommended. The nib is not easily removable, has to be knocked out from the inside.

Conclusion

This is a great pen to have and to use if you're a user of slimmer pens.

Posted Image

I personally do not favor slim pens because they don't feel comfortable when I write, it makes me feel like I am writing with a BIC though the writing experience is far from it. The material on this pen has to be held and seen to appreciate its unique design; see it up close and you will say: "Wow, fascinating design! How come they don't make designs like this anymore?!"

--- Bob
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Sponsored Content

#2 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 16:00

Not crazy bout slimmer pens, but love the lizard pattern. Nice review.
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:44

Great review of an uncommon pen, thanks

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 00:57

Wow that's awesome! Love that lizard pattern. I wish somebody would make something like that today. Very cool.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:06

great and rare pen :thumbup: thanks for the review
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 22:15

Wow that's awesome! Love that lizard pattern. I wish somebody would make something like that today. Very cool.

same here!

I wish someone would make materials similar to this(if not the same) also! Unfortunately, up to now, no one is up to the task.

any idea as to where to get one? the price?

Try here and here.

Edited by Soot, 02 May 2012 - 22:20.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 00:39

$100 is more like it. Maybe more for extra rare or extra nice examples.

Edited by watch_art, 04 May 2012 - 00:41.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#8 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2012 - 21:48

You have excellent taste!
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

Sponsored Content

|