The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Rosetta Magellan

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LexieS

LexieS

Crazy Cat Lady

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:21

Here is my review of my Rosetta Magellan. I hope y'all enjoy :blush:

Posted Image
magellan

Some photos are to follow, I wanted to upload a large scan of my review.

Posted Image
DSCN0731 by LexieKae, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN0729 by LexieKae, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN0723 by LexieKae, on Flickr

(fixed pic links - watch_art)

Edited by watch_art, 28 April 2012 - 21:58.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

Sponsored Content

#2 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:48

That is a good looking pen! And it writes deliciously.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:06

Got one like that, in marbled green with a CI nib, from Pendleton at the LA Pen Show. Quite nice pen, and his work is always special. Have fun!
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:38

nice: review, pen, hand writing and pendelton nib!!

#5 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:47

I have two Rosetta Magellans. The dark red and dark green. I love them both but have one small issue with both of them and that is with replacing the caps - they don't always screw on properly first time. If I don't get the cap aligned perfectly, the threads get crossed. I've not heard anyone else have this problem, so perhaps it's just me. :embarrassed_smile:
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:10

I have two Rosetta Magellans. The dark red and dark green. I love them both but have one small issue with both of them and that is with replacing the caps - they don't always screw on properly first time. If I don't get the cap aligned perfectly, the threads get crossed. I've not heard anyone else have this problem, so perhaps it's just me. :embarrassed_smile:

I noticed this the first day I had mine, but I've had other pens where the threads were just a bit picky about how they sat. When I cap this pen, as I screw on the cap I notice if it feels smoothly catching; if not, I back it off a turn or so until it 'clicks' into the threads, and then carefully thread it closed. Also, one of the first things I usually do on a new (or new to me) pen is put just a very light dab of silicon grease on the threads, just seems to make life easier.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#7 LexieS

LexieS

Crazy Cat Lady

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:58

The silicon grease is a fabulous idea, I am going to have to try that. I have noticed that the cap is a wee bit picky about screwing on, but I am always very patient and careful with all of my pens, so it is no big deal.

#8 bookworm

bookworm

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 15:31

I have to agree with everything said about this pen. I have the red/burgundy Rosetta with a Pendleton point fine stub. It is one of my daily writers. I also have a slight issue with securing the cap after use, but consider this very minor in relation to the great performance of the nib. I will have to try the silicon grease, sounds like an easy fix. Thanks for the review!

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:33

The silicon grease is a fabulous idea, I am going to have to try that. I have noticed that the cap is a wee bit picky about screwing on, but I am always very patient and careful with all of my pens, so it is no big deal.

Yeah, me too. The more vintage, the more careful I am, as well! Just the teeeniest bit of the grease is fine - put a dab on the barrel threads, then smear it into the thread with your finger tip. Twist the cap on an off a few times, then wipe the barrel threads to get any excess off.

A small number of people had problems with TWSBI pens (also an acrylic or acrylic-like material) having *very* stiff threads, feeling like they had to twist too hard, and mine was a little stiff as well. The trick that Really Worked was just a tiny bit of toothpaste put in the threads and then twisting the cap on/off repeatedly. The very small amount of 'grit' in the toothpaste smoothed out the threads just enough. As soon as it felt a little easier, cleaned it off with a damp cloth (and the inside cap threads with some Q-tips and tissue, and then the same silicon grease routine. It works flawlessly now.

Have fun with your Rosettas and PB nibs!
~ Benjamin Franklin

#10 dspeers58

dspeers58

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 00:49

I bought a Magellan with a CI from Pendleton at Columbus and the cap is fussy also. Have to get it just right or else it will not go on.

#11 pb2

pb2

pb2

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:47

Dear Rosetta fans. Thank you for bringing up the subject of the capping issue. Rosetta recently the issue by including an instruction paper which I, Posted Image neglected to send with your pen Lexie. So sorry, but what a love hand written review!!! Thank you for doing that!Posted Image

here is a photo of the Rosetta instruction that to my experience really reduces this to a non issue.

Once again, it just came out and I should have inckuded ... rather included it with your pen. Posted Image

Posted Image

I should have inckuded ... rather included it with your pen Posted Image

Posted Image

I should have inckuded ... rather included it with your pen Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by pb2, 29 April 2012 - 01:53.

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

#12 LexieS

LexieS

Crazy Cat Lady

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:06

Thank you! No biggie, I have been very careful with the cap. I think it is actually getting a little easier to engage the threads, I have uncapped and recapped the pen a lot today and it seems to go on a lot easier.

I love the pen and nib, by the way :cloud9: . Thanks again, PB!

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:12

nice pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#14 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,369 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:24

Pendleton, I started with two pens a year ago, came to FPN, and now I have a whole bunch of pens and inks. None of that, in fact all of that, is anywhere near as important as having met a person like you. We are all very, very lucky people.

Thank you for being the best Pendleton Brown anyone could wish for. Posted Image

Edited by JonSzanto, 29 April 2012 - 07:24.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#15 pb2

pb2

pb2

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 21:37

Pendleton, I started with two pens a year ago, came to FPN, and now I have a whole bunch of pens and inks. None of that, in fact all of that, is anywhere near as important as having met a person like you. We are all very, very lucky people.

Thank you for being the best Pendleton Brown anyone could wish for. Posted Image

You are much to dear Jon. Thank you. ... And I want those bouncing heads!!!! They are so cool!
pendletonspens.com

#16 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32

Interesting... The Rosetta I got from Pendleton at the SF Show is a North Star. I wonder what the differences are between the North Star and the Magellan.
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#17 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:47

PB2 has done the Rosetta with a Pendleton Point grind at a few pen shows for around $100.

For a couple years now it's been a top pick of mine in the $100 pen category. With one of his grinds on it,
It looks and writes much higher than $100.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#18 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:58

Here is my review of my Rosetta Magellan. I hope y'all enjoy

Hey, that's the pen I bought from Pendleton in LA! I love it! It's a lovely writer, though I have a problem with turning my pen to the left, so sometimes when I forget, it's a bit scratchy. I love the color and the weight (unposted), and the section is comfortable to grip.

Thanks! I was so tired by the time I closed out my business with PB2 that I forgot to write down the particulars.

4/30 ETA: The problem is with my grip, not with Pendleton's beautiful point. I don't know why but I've found that over a few sentences the pen point is slanted like a '/'. I'm working on the problem.

Edited by CatBookMom, 30 April 2012 - 17:25.

#19 pb2

pb2

pb2

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 13:47

Hey, that's the pen I bought from Pendleton in LA! I love it! It's a lovely writer, though I have a problem with turning my pen to the left, so sometimes when I forget, it's a bit scratchy. I love the color and the weight (unposted), and the section is comfortable to grip.

Thanks! I was so tired by the time I closed out my business with PB2 that I forgot to write down the particulars.

Hi CatBookMom ~

If you don't mind sending it in for a few days I will be happy to zap that scratch for you for no extra charge as part of the service.... I'll even pay the return postage. Posted Image

Include a note in the package"Return for adjustment" and what you would like. Posted Image

Thanks!

pb

pendletonspens.com

#20 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 17:22

Hi CatBookMom ~

If you don't mind sending it in for a few days I will be happy to zap that scratch for you for no extra charge as part of the service.... I'll even pay the return postage. Posted Image

Include a note in the package"Return for adjustment" and what you would like. Posted Image

Thanks!

pb

Thanks for the generous offer, Pendleton! But it's not the pen, it's me. I somehow unconsciously turn my pens in my hand while I'm writing, so that the nib is slanted. I tend to do it with all my pens; I'm working to change my grip. If I haven't conquered the problem by LA Pen Show 2013, I'll bring it to see you.

Thanks again for all you do for us pen-nuts!!

Sponsored Content

|