What Are Your Opinions On The Modern Parker Duofold?

l4yercak3

yes or no?

http://www.sequoiaventures.com/iPenStore/Parker/Duofold/DuofoldIntlBlackCT600.jpg

btw will i be stuck with parker inks with this pen? i don't mind at all but just asking..

I have this one with a crisp italic nib and LOVE it! And no, you do not have to use Parker inks if you don't want to, mine is filled with Noodlers BBK. In my case, I fell in love with the nib first and then got the pen to go with it. Oh, and mine is the International size and not the Centennial.

thumbup.gif

The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. Norbet Platt
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Aquinas

• penmanila

• georges zaslavsky

• Mickey

I own 2 Duofold Centennials and they are amongst my favourite pens.

Compared with other pens of similar standing, I would say that they would have been worth it if Parker still existed as a pen company. Unfortunately, it does not so any warranty that may have been offered (both official and additional through kindness of the professional Parker Pen Company staff) is now considerably less. To me, and I write as both a consumer and pen retailer, this makes the pen now appear too expensive.

That said, I would suggest to the OP that it's still worth buying one but to look for a good used example. In fact I recommend any UK-manufactured Parker Duofold as a worthwhile purchase and there are still some bargains to be had, especially pens from the 50s and 60s.

HTH,

Martin

I agree. When I bought my Centennial pen and jotter in 1989 , I was promised lifetime warranty and membership of the Platinum club, now gone with the ages. I was even told to be careful as to not require major repairs as parts are very limited. It is is a nice pen, I enjoy using it and fills a file in my Parker collection.

Can you post either the Centennial or the International?

The Centennial posts and I suppose the International does, as well. I never post my Centennial because the balance is better without.

International posts, too. I have a whole slew of late model Centennials, all the nib varieties, and they all write just fine. I also use everything but Parker ink in them. Had a whole bunch of Penman ink but never used it and never used Quink. So, ... answers to the original questions that only had a picture antecedent - yes, no. thumbup.gif

Cheers,

Rich

This thread has provoked me into inking up my Duofold centennial. I had only ever used Quink, but after thoroughly washing and cleaning the pen, I have filled it with Sailor Jentle Blue Black. It has a fine nib and was always a bit "hard" in writing. With the Jentle ink it has never written so well. Ink flow has definitely been improved with a different ink to what i normally used. They are a good pen, I may get a current model, but with a medium or broad nib, the new ones have some snazzy colours.

I cleaned out drawers in one of my desks tonight . I never discard pen boxes or material. I found the Waterman "Ideal" box for my Patrician ball pens, a box for one of my early Sonnet sets , and pertinent to this topic, the warranty card for my Blue Marbled Duofold Centennial pen and jotter which I bought new in 1989. I had forgotten that Parker UK gave a signed and sealed warranty card. The wording, written with the full knowledge of very pro consumer laws with consequent liabilities around the world showed that Parker was proud of the pen. This topic on the FPN has resumed my interest in the modern Duofold, and I will start using mine more often. :thumbup:

not to sound immodest, i have many kinds of pens (both modern and vintage) and quite a few modern duofolds, and they're just as good as any pen in their class (the MB 146 and 149, the pelikan M600 and M800, all of which i also use in the daily rotation). the nibs do need a bit of tweaking (i initially found them too dry and too stiff) but with that done, they're champion performers. i have them in various colors and sizes (both centennial and international) but ended up using a black international as one of my mainstays--elegant without being showy, with a nib i tweaked from a dry medium to a wet broad.

i see that the OP comes from the philippines. if he or she isn't a member of our pen club already, the OP can PM me in how to join the fountain pen network-philippines. we have monthly pen meets that are loads of fun, and i can bring some duofolds that he or she can test hands-on.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

I bought a new Parker Duofold Centennial, it is ok, however, ink flows too much all the time, say, the writing yields like a very broad nib, even with an extra fine I ordered after the fine that came with mine. I am profoundly dissapointed with this issue.

I bought a new Parker Duofold Centennial, it is ok, however, ink flows too much all the time, say, the writing yields like a very broad nib, even with an extra fine I ordered after the fine that came with mine. I am profoundly dissapointed with this issue.

Try a different (drier) ink or have the pen adjusted for proper flow with whatever ink you choose. What paper are you using? The problem you are experiencing sounds more like a paper and ink problem than a pen problem. Good luck.

Added: a less likely problem is that the converter or cartridge is not seated properly. The feed will not work properly with an air leak around the seat. Check that the cartridge or converter is seated completely. If you are using a converter and the problem persists, try using a cartridge. If that fixes the problem, get a new converter.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

My International Duofold from around '92 is the best made pen I own. It's plastic body feels superior to precious resin and other pen plastics. It's a pity they're not being made in England anymore.

I have had some bad experiences with so called "precious resin". I agree it has a good finish.

I know several other poeople who find this pen absolutely mediocre, not only because of the bad ink flow but also because of the skipping and nib inconsistency

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I know several other poeople who find this pen absolutely mediocre, not only because of the bad ink flow but also because of the skipping and nib inconsistency

I tend to agree with you. I only have one in my collection, although it is a fine nib and my usual preference is medium to broad, but I do need some fine pens. I have an Aurora about the same size pen all around and I usually use that in preference.I give it 6.75 out of 10, although I may get another.

I tend to agree with you. I only have one in my collection, although it is a fine nib and my usual preference is medium to broad, but I do need some fine pens. I have an Aurora about the same size pen all around and I usually use that in preference.I give it 6.75 out of 10, although I may get another.

the only duofold that matter for me are the vintage senior flat top single band duofold, those were the ones that made the duofold reputation

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

i have both old and new duofolds and like them both--the ones that do write well, because again some don't. both generations have their winners and losers, and i find that it isn't even a generic thing (as in "all centennials are..." or "all big reds are..") but will come down to individual pens and nibs, and of course your sense of whether they were worth your money. ;)

Check out my blog and my pens

I ran my first generation modern Duofold fitted with a fine nib on Sailor Jentle ink all day. I had a task that needed a fine nib and it ran very well only stopping when I ran out of ink. It has been laid up for sometime and before I refilled it it had a very thorough clean. I agree they can be temperamental but cleanliness and a very wet ink could be the answer.

It's plastic body feels superior to precious resin and other pen plastics. It's a pity they're not being made in England anymore.

I believe the plastic still is. The plastic that Parker uses for the Duofold is a thick, high density acrylic made by Carville.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hi,

I have five Internationals with various nib sizes, EF-M and a nice stub courtesy of Oxonian. Great writers although if using cartridges they can be hard starters if left for a few days. Overall though great pens that look good and write well.

Also fond of the English Duofolds from the 50s/60s great pens which can still be picked up at reasonable prices, although the Senior/Maxima sizes are sought after and therefore more pricey.

Andy

My early model "modern " Duofold is a delight to use, now I've changed ink.

The plastic feels awesome on these. Much nicer than the other generic CC acrylic bodied pens.

Wish all the colors were available in the larger size

yes or no?

http://www.sequoiaventures.com/iPenStore/Parker/Duofold/DuofoldIntlBlackCT600.jpg

btw will i be stuck with parker inks with this pen? i don't mind at all but just asking..

I have this one with a crisp italic nib and LOVE it! And no, you do not have to use Parker inks if you don't want to, mine is filled with Noodlers BBK. In my case, I fell in love with the nib first and then got the pen to go with it. Oh, and mine is the International size and not the Centennial.

thumbup.gif

I also have an international size of this pen, I inked it with diamine imperial purple...... I love it!

I have a dew other pens however I like the duofold the best.

Parker 51, lamy dialog3, lamy safari ( this is on my desk as a pen others can use)

Diamine imperial purple, Mont blanc Hitchcock red, Mont blanc midnight blue, and montblanc Irish green

Edited by jwar2003

Kind regards

Jay

If the design appeals to you, buy it. I'm a sucker for the old style flat tops, and have both the International (1989) and the Centennial (1992), black GT. I once lost the International and when it was returned to me after a small two years, it instantely wrote as if it never was out of use. As a left handed underwriter I just adore the nibs!

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

I have never had one moment of trouble with the ink flow on my Duofolds, but then I only own 10 of them. How many do you own that give you problems, Georges? Or is what you are saying just second hand rumour?

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html