Regrind Townsend 14K M To Flex Nib

ljkd13

Has anyone done this? I love my townsend and the 14K nib, but it's a medium and too wide for normal writing. I'm a calligrapher and thought if I could get it re-ground to have some flex, I could use it for simple copperplate/spencerian jobs. Has anyone ever tried this before?

I feel like the pen writes so wet that it would be a great candidate for a flex nib.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Luke

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ljkd13

• Mickey

• Pen Nut

• Miadhawk

Unless you're a lefty, the easier (and better) solution is dip pens in an oblique holder. It's difficult (but not impossible) to get the Spencerian and Copperplate shades to fall correctly with a straight pen.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Unless you're a lefty, the easier (and better) solution is dip pens in an oblique holder. It's difficult (but not impossible) to get the Spencerian and Copperplate shades to fall correctly with a straight pen.

I have dip pens and oblique holders that I use for professional jobs, however I was more interested in making my regular fountain pen flexy and thought that this may be a good way of doing it without getting a new pen.

I have an ahab and several other noodlers pens, but I was wanted a nicer feeling pen (namely my townsend) to be flexy instead.

I wasn't sure how comfortable you are writing side-saddle, but, evidently, it's no big thing. Let me know how it goes with your Townsend. So far, I haven't run into a customized modern pen (I have a couple) which comes close to what I can do with a dip pen. Maybe you'll have better luck.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Done to flexi no, but I have just taken my M Cross Townsend to a fine italic and it is writing very well. Changed from loupe work to tool inspection microscope and it makes things a lot more clearer

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I wasn't sure how comfortable you are writing side-saddle, but, evidently, it's no big thing. Let me know how it goes with your Townsend. So far, I haven't run into a customized modern pen (I have a couple) which comes close to what I can do with a dip pen. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Yeah - I'd just like something with some flex for everyday use, and although I love my noodler's pens, they are finicky for me. I also prefer the feel of the Cross.

I'm thinking that if I could find a vintage nib that fits, I'd rather try that first so I didn't have to change up the original Cross nib, being 14K and all.

Is there any way to find out what size nib would fit it - like an old Swan #2 flex?

How about sending it to a nib technician? Richard Binder (Richardspens.com) or John Mottishaw (nibs.com)? They can both add flex to a 14k good nib.

(Only affiliation is as a customer of Mr. Mottishaw)

The little things really count.

• 3 months later...

I am new here so forgive me if I stray a bit but you are all so knowledgeable.

When I was younger, I loved using fountain pens but moved on to ballpoints and computers. Have just inherited my Dad's vintage Townsend with 14k nib. It's pristine, never used and intimidates me. He loved fountain pens and I want to use it as a way of staying connected to him but afraid I might break the nib or ruin it. Is there a cheapie FP that I should use for practice? Also, what kind of ink would you all recommend?

Cross nibs and feeds are press-fit into the section. Any work done to narrow or thin the nib has to be done with the assembly intact, which becomes particularly difficult due to interference of the feed. Narrowing the nib would, by itself, yield only marginal change toward a (semi-)flex goal.

I like the Townsend and wanted one in semi-flex also, but never went through with it for this reason.

Now if anyone can procure the press-fit machine and a supply of modified nibs . . . we'll have a great situation.

I am new here so forgive me if I stray a bit but you are all so knowledgeable.

When I was younger, I loved using fountain pens but moved on to ballpoints and computers. Have just inherited my Dad's vintage Townsend with 14k nib. It's pristine, never used and intimidates me. He loved fountain pens and I want to use it as a way of staying connected to him but afraid I might break the nib or ruin it. Is there a cheapie FP that I should use for practice? Also, what kind of ink would you all recommend?

As you have used fountain pens before you will easily remember the simple rules:

Don't drop it :thumbup:

And don't press hard ;) .

You should guide the ink across the paper with the nib rather than try to push the ink through the page :lol:

Apart from that, enjoy using a great pen and for the nicest reason.

I have found my Townsends to be very tolerant of ink brands so use whatever colour and brand you like. There are endless suggestions here but all of the easily available brands will work perfectly well though you may start experimenting with time.

I use Waterman, Pelikan, Diamine, Montblanc, Lamy, Aurora, Visconti, Noodlers etc without a second thought just depending on the colour I want to use.

Chris