Twsbi Vac 700's Now Available!

Still with unanswered question. Does it post (effectively)? If not, don't want one.

This was asked on their Facebook page. Here was the reply:

"You can post it, but we don't recommend that. It's not designed to do so."

So I'd say it's like the 540...

...and I post mine every time I use it. :rolleyes: Let's wait until we can try it-- THEN we can start fighting about whether it's a good idea or not.

No...I say let's wage war NOW!!!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• Greebe

• SamCapote

Still with unanswered question. Does it post (effectively)? If not, don't want one.

...and I post mine every time I use it. :rolleyes: Let's wait until we can try it-- THEN we can start fighting about whether it's a good idea or not. I will admit that the profile of the pen seems to suggest against it.

Not trying to start anything... just passing along information from TWSBI's fb page. IIRC they didn't recommend posting the 540 either, thus the comparison. I happen to not post mine because it is top heavy and awkward for me. Also on the few occasions I have forgotten and posted it I have found that sometimes the piston starts turning while removing the cap. I know some people like to post the pen and some don't. All a matter of preference.

...and I post mine every time I use it. :rolleyes: Let's wait until we can try it-- THEN we can start fighting about whether it's a good idea or not. I will admit that the profile of the pen seems to suggest against it.

Not trying to start anything... just passing along information from TWSBI's fb page. IIRC they didn't recommend posting the 540 either, thus the comparison. I happen to not post mine because it is top heavy and awkward for me. Also on the few occasions I have forgotten and posted it I have found that sometimes the piston starts turning while removing the cap. I know some people like to post the pen and some don't. All a matter of preference.

I should have used more smilies. :thumbup: I use "fight" only in the joking sense, and I also recall the posting = piston peril thread. It's certainly not for everyone, and I agree that TWSBI doesn't endorse the practice.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

...and I post mine every time I use it. :rolleyes: Let's wait until we can try it-- THEN we can start fighting about whether it's a good idea or not...

Where's the fun in that? :P

I just got sucked in... ordered a Smoke Vac and a Micarta.

(And I was doing so good on holding out :rolleyes: )

Anyone know the ETA on the Mini?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I have a commitment to finish my first 80ml bottle of ink before I buy another pen or bottle of ink. This will motivate me to put pen to paper.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

I have a commitment to finish my first 80ml bottle of ink before I buy another pen or bottle of ink. This will motivate me to put pen to paper.

That's a tough commitment! I wish you luck on it.

This is embarrassing... But I've still never finished a full bottle of ink myself... embarrassed_smile.gif I guess I better get writing too.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I would, but on top of the ridiculous shipping, I could get a really nice Japanese pen for 85 dollars (pilot custom 74, sailors, pilot vanishing points also go for that price quite often). I will see if my future holds a Vac 700, but not at the moment!

Great looking pen though!

Visit my blog Pentorium!

I just got a nice NOS Sheaffer Targa and a NOS Cross Townsend, so I'll have to hold off for now. Maybe sometime down the road after they've proven their reliability a bit. I'm a bit of a late adopter sometimes, as I bought the last 530 Speedy sold on Amazon. :roflmho:

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

...and I post mine every time I use it. :rolleyes: Let's wait until we can try it-- THEN we can start fighting about whether it's a good idea or not.

No, wait, starting now...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Does it post (effectively)?

What does that mean? Do you just want the cap to stay on when posted? Do you want it to post on the barrel and not the piston knob?

OK, well here we go with "The Posting Issue" can of worms launched again in yet another thread. For the record, I was trying not to bring up the plethora of issues about how the 530/540 were not designed to be used posted with my comment that you asked about.

Yes, you can post those TWSBI's, but by their own written admission, it was not designed to be used posted, and it is the most imbalanced pen posting I have ever seen. The 530/540 does not securely post down very far, and as such, leaves the pen with a significant back end weight imbalance with a tendency to plop back out of your fingers which you must fight against. Unlike the Vac, the 530/540 caps being posted on the filling piston is also just not a good idea.

There are a lot of people who strongly prefer using their pens, posted. I am one of them. There is no good reason--in designing an inexpensive pen--to ignore all of those users (by their own design admission), when you could have make the pen balanced and useable posted or unposted, based on user preference. I understand the argument for expensive, and/or pens with more delicate body finishes that users may not want to scratch by posting, and I have two pens out of 150-200 that I am not willing to use posted. One is the Nakaya Urushi Laquered Aka-Tamenuri Cigar Long which unposted is about 5 3/4 inches.

I post my Pelikans M200 to M1000, MBs including Noblese, 146-149's & other models, Parker Duofolds (new and vintage), Watermans (new and vintage), Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Sheaffers, Taccia's, Viscontis, Wahls, Heros, Kaigelus, Kawekos, Lamys, Levengers, Noodlers-s, Mabie Todds, Monteverdes, Omas, Stipulas, Edisons, etc.

So if TWSBI is again shutting out those of us who strongly prefer using a pen posting, then I will vote with my wallet and not buy them anymore.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I was still at DEFCON 3 from the last encounter. Moved now to DEFCON 2, launch keys inserted.

I bought one in Smoke with a broad nib. My trip to the Raleigh pen show is now very seriously in doubt. I'll probably only go if I sell a good half dozen to dozen pens I don't love and therefore need to move along to homes where they will be loved.

I hope I love this pen.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Imagine it's an expensive pen (so it's ok to not be comfortably posted) that you got a great deal on.....then just enjoy it. Also, $50 dollars IS an expensive pen to many members.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Imagine it's an expensive pen (so it's ok to not be comfortably posted) that you got a great deal on.....then just enjoy it. Also, $50 dollars IS an expensive pen to many members.

That's too high of a mental hurdle for me to pretend it is an imaginary friend, when I know it was intentionally designed to "insult" us posters from expressing their true nature.