Caran D'ache Léman V. Yiren 615

brownargus

1341762297[/url]' post='2397223']

The Léman is a very nice fountain pen and when I'm seeing it I would like to have one,

but the nib is too stiff. That's why I never come down to buy one.

Sorry that the nib is too stiff for your use. A pity because the pen is fine otherwise.

Edited by brownargus

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brownargus

• Nunnbetta

• lovemy51

• seffrican

My Leman with blue barrel and silver ribbed cap has been my favourite luxury pen since 2010, despite adding a couple of MBs since then. M nib writes with smooth and subtle line variation. It's just such a "grabable" pen to get sunk into some writing with.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Just to keep up-to-date. I was pulling the cap off the Yiren and the threaded ferule on the barrel parted company from the barrel. An examination showed that the amount of glue appeared to be inadequate. So, out with the Araldite and I have now glued the two parts together and hopefully it should now be OK. However, at the same time, the converter has come apart; the filler screw has begun to part company from the ink reservoir. This should need another session with the Araldite!

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Just to keep up-to-date. I was pulling the cap off the Yiren and the threaded ferule on the barrel parted company from the barrel. An examination showed that the amount of glue appeared to be inadequate. So, out with the Araldite and I have now glued the two parts together and hopefully it should now be OK. However, at the same time, the converter has come apart; the filler screw has begun to part company from the ink reservoir. This should need another session with the Araldite!

I guess the old saying is true "You pay for what you get"

• 4 months later...

I have to report that the Caran d'Ache has developed a minor leak at the nib end of the section where the ink feed system mounts into the section. I'm sure that this is only a minor sealing problem but, nevertheless, the pen has had to be returned for repair which is a bit disappointing when CdA's publicity plays great importance on the testing and inspection carried out during the manufacturing process. I was also a bit miffed that having returned the pen to the dealer, who forwarded the pen to CdA, they wanted to see the guarantee form, despite the pen having a lifetime warranty for faults in manufacture. Hope to get a quick turnaround. Meanwhile, back to the trusty Yiren!

John

The pen arrived back today exactly one month since I posted it. However, given the delays due to having to send the guarantee form later and intervening jubilee bank holiday, I can't grumble. However, it feels a different pen and this is because the whole nib unit has been replaced - it was black with a silver ring at the nib end and now it is all silver! The feedback from the paper is different, it is now a wetter writer and it seems that the line is a bit broader - I even checked to make sure the 'F' was on the nib and it is. I will need to invest in a blotter or find an ink that writes less wet - any suggestions? I haven't yet decided whether this makes any changes to the assessment in the comparison!

John

After messing about with various inks I have recently decided to use to use Caran d'Ache Sky Blue and, would you believe it, the ink flow is perfect. I had previously dismissed this ink because I preferred Diamine Sapphire blue, but I now have come to like the Cd'A Sky Blue so will continue to use that particularly ink since it seems that the Leman was calibrated with the company's own ink, which is hardly surprising. The pen now writes like it should do and I have actually come to admire the all-silver section.

brownargus - i have leman with medium nib. Blue sky is perfect for me too. Montbalnc royal blue is nice too. In my opinion copare this two ink:

shading - draw

flow - MB

dry times - MB

saturation, deep color - definietly carandache blue sky

You should try Carandache Grand Canyon. With medium nib is amazing :D

Edited by musicman

The Yiren accepts the international standard cartridges, while the Léman only accepts the CdA own brand.

Not entirely true. CdA cartridges are international standard.

[size="4"]"[i][b][color="#000000"]Qui plume a, guerre a.[/color][/b][/i]" - Voltaire[/size]

The Yiren accepts the international standard cartridges, while the Léman only accepts the CdA own brand.

Yes, my mistake. I have just tried them in the Leman and they do fit.

John

Edited by brownargus

Yes, my mistake. I have just tried them in the Leman and they do fit.

Excellent.

[size="4"]"[i][b][color="#000000"]Qui plume a, guerre a.[/color][/b][/i]" - Voltaire[/size]

• 5 years later...

Update: After six years, the Leman is still in pristine condition despite regular use. I still had some concerns about its being too wet a writer but recently I acquired some Diamine Majestic Blue ink and this has solved my problem. It seems to have made writing even smoother and I can now use the pen on a much wider range of papers, including the paper-back books I use for Daily Telegraph crosswords, where before there was too much feathering - now there is very little. The pen also writes better on quality papers too. It is now truly my everyday pen. As for the Yiren it stays in the drawer and doesn't really attract me to use it!