Airmail Wality Nib Swap

VillersCotterets

From what I can see, many Wality Airmail pens share the same nib and feed.

• Category 1 (small) : 44, 444, 58
  • Category 2 (large) : 69, 71
  • Category 3 (semi hooded nibs) : 74, 77
  • Category 4 (square similar to Serwex) : 67

I love the fine nib on my Airmail 58SL. I plan buying other pens from that brand, but only if I can fit them with other nib sizes (medium) or nib types (flex, italic).

Do you know any other brand of nibs that would fit any of those pens?

Esterbrooks? Sheaffers? Knox?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3590/clipboard01gd.jpg

Photo borrowed from http://www.fountainp...mailwality.html

Edited by VillersCotterets

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Scribblesoften

• hari317

• lecky

Top Posters In This Topic

Following types of Wality Nibs are used by them:

1. Wality nib no.4 with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

2. Wality nib no.5 with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

3. Wality nib no.6 with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

4. Wality nib no.8 with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

5. Wality nib no.00 with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

6. Wality SS Round nib with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

7.Wality MB nib with medium/fine point & flash gold plating.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you.

Which nib size goes with which pen model?

Are the nib numbers equivalent to another brand? For instance, Wality no.5 = Waterman no.5 ?

I had a black 69L, and the nib and feed were interchangeable with the Noodler's Ahab. The Ahab nib alternatives also work with that Wality. The cap isn't very deep, so if you set any nib too far out (including its own nib) you can damage the end of the nib.

From what I can see, many Wality Airmail pens share the same nib and feed.

• Category 1 (small) : 44, 444, 58
  • Category 2 (large) : 69, 71
  • Category 3 (semi hooded nibs) : 74, 77
  • Category 4 (square similar to Serwex) : 67

I love the fine nib on my Airmail 58SL. I plan buying other pens from that brand, but only if I can fit them with other nib sizes (medium) or nib types (flex, italic).

Do you know any other brand of nibs that would fit any of those pens?

Esterbrooks? Sheaffers? Knox?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3590/clipboard01gd.jpg

Photo borrowed from http://www.fountainp...mailwality.html

Are the Airmail/Wality nibs too fine for you? If you are planning to not use their nib, you can always try grinding/smoothing it. In the event the experiment does not go well, you can still follow your plan to replace the nib. You can make the nib not only smoother but a wider writer as well. I have done this with some Serwex nibs.

Are the Airmail/Wality nibs too fine for you? If you are planning to not use their nib, you can always try grinding/smoothing it. In the event the experiment does not go well, you can still follow your plan to replace the nib. You can make the nib not only smoother but a wider writer as well. I have done this with some Serwex nibs.

No, the nib I've got is not too fine for me. It's closer to an extra fine than a fine. I like it and I've already done some smoothing on it. It's just that I don't want too many pens with exactly the same nib. Each of my pens have something different.

Also, the Wality 58 is a small pen with a small extra fine nib. To me, it makes sense. However, if I acquire a Wality 71 jumbo pen, I would like it to have a big medium/broad nib.

Understood. I have an Airmail 71J - same as a Wality. I purchased the pen to serve as a home for a nib that I already have. I found that the nib that came with it is too nice to pull out. It is definitely a fine, but quite wet. Because of it's wetness, ink selection makes a big difference in the way it performs. If the 71's have the same nib as the 69L, then as lecky stated above, it should exchange with Ahab sized nibs. I believe members P.A.R. and Samcapote have threads detailing the use of Knox nibs in Ahabs. That may be the direction you want to go. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I have two of the big Wality eyedropper pens. I was able to fit a Knox B nib without too much trouble, but it's a tight fit.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• 5 weeks later...

I'm intrigued by this brand wondering how it performs ...

I'm intrigued by this brand wondering how it performs ...

Good looking eyedropper pens despite very low price. The nib usable as is, but could use a little bit of smoothing on a Micromesh sheet. I wish they would offer several nibs sizes.

Wality

º 45

By angio

º 51

By Catsmelt

º 52

52 Piston - by Apollo

By Roger

By monsoonmalabar

º 58C

By kethiemann

º 69

by hari317

º 69L

By Roger

By ushat

By xena

By watch_art

By Nihontochicken

º 69TS

By JonB55198 - Trading up towards M1000

By comfortableshoes

º 70D

By ajcoleman¨¨(eyedropper, M nib)

º 71TJ

By watch_art

º 77

By Catsmelt

By Kiolden

Kevin sells nibs for those for like $1.25, you could try grinding as the replacement is nib is so cheap.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.