Anybody Sketch With Their Nakaya?

TrinityTam

After admiring from a distance for a while now, I am slowly but surely succumbing to the inevitability of Nakaya ownership. I've been working on a big project at work for about a year and have decided to reward myself with a pen upon its completion. I've ogled all of the lovely images and reviews on FPN and I think I've decided on a heki-tamenuri Piccolo cigar for my first Nakaya. I've never owned a pen without a clip before but the beautiful lines of the Piccolo are inspiring me to be bold!

Since everybody says that buying the first Nakaya is just a gateway for buying more, I've allowed myself to indulge in some "window shopping." I currently find myself using fountain pens more for sketching than for writing since most of my writing is note-taking at work and I just grab what's in the supply closet (usually a Pilot G2). One of the reasons I am drawn to the Piccolo is because I want to use it as my work pen and think that it will make note-taking more fun. But for my hypothetical second pen... I was wondering if anybody uses their Nakaya for sketching? The Dorsal Fin version 1 looks like it might be a nice sketcher.

Impatiently waiting for this project to end... :)

Trin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• TrinityTam

• Hex

• terminal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. I sketch and doodle with ALL my fountain pens including my Nakaya Piccolo Writer Aka-tamenuri with music nib.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I draw with my Nakayas, but I don't sketch. And by "drawing," I mean, draw lines, mostly straight ones. I enjoy it very much.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I draw with my Nakayas, but I don't sketch. And by "drawing," I mean, draw lines, mostly straight ones. I enjoy it very much.

Drawing your own graph paper? idk just a guess

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Oh my gosh I love that drawing! I had no idea about this! What a great project!!

Love this tree and it has some currrvvvvyyyy lines!

Great job, I really like your style and now everything makes so much more since WRT Nakaya!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, very nice drawings. Are you using a piccolo for these or one of the longer Nakayas? Thanks for sharing!

Here is the more recent set of 30, Schiele Variations.

I've used Piccolos and the Desk Pen and a Sailor Desk Pen (the $12 plastic with steel EF nib) and a Parker Duofold Vac and the Edison Pearl (steel F nib).

The next set of 30 I'll use the Desk Pen (F) and one of the Piccolos (M) and a Montblanc 100-Year Historical (widest line at an EF -- I know, unexpected that it's the widest line) and maybe the Pelikan 140 (semi-flex EF -- actually, this is the widest line) -- but the Pelly has red ink in it, so I might not change it for the drawing practice.

The drawrings are small, about 3-4" squarish (8-10cm).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7252/6987652734_783b0881dc.jpg

Schiele Variations 27 by ethernautrix, on Flickr

etherX in To Miasto

I really enjoy the Schiele Variations series. What do you use for the gray tone.. like in the first one, in the roof?

I really enjoy the Schiele Variations series. What do you use for the gray tone.. like in the first one, in the roof?

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about the Pentel (pretty sure they're Pentel) ink brushes! In the first series, I used a Q-tip (ha ha ha). The red is the Platinum Mix (SP:SY 1:1 (red)) in the Franklin-Christoph #25 Eclipse.

Thank you, terminal.

etherX in To Miasto

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about the Pentel (pretty sure they're Pentel) ink brushes! In the first series, I used a Q-tip (ha ha ha). The red is the Platinum Mix (SP:SY 1:1 (red)) in the Franklin-Christoph #25 Eclipse.

Thank you, terminal.

Oh, no, ty for sharing your art!

Oooh that's interesting. Yeah it would have to be something small that's why I was baffled. It'd be hard to do with watercolor... not impossible I guess. Interesting about the Q-tip. Is that to even it out or apply too?

Wow! That's some great artwork! :notworthy1: Thanks for sharing :)

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

Interesting about the Q-tip. Is that to even it out or apply too?

Both. (Laughs.) I wondered, "How can I apply this ink without painstakingly running the nib back and forth in this space?" Heh.

Thanks much, danahn17. I'm still practicing!

etherX in To Miasto

I wondered, "How can I apply this ink without painstakingly running the nib back and forth in this space?" Heh.

Srsly that's what had me cringing. I was thinking... fill with H2O, drip in there, but then you'd get rings 'n stars. I was impressed with the evenness, great tip! (q-tip that is)

Very impressive Ethernautrix, so much so that I want to learn.

Have you been doing this for quite a while and did you have a lot of formal training ?

I really enjoy looking at your work.

*bows*

Hex, aka George

Thanks terminal.

Hex, George, DO IT! No, my whole life (or, at least, since I was a teenager), I have told myself, "I can't draw." Last year, waiting with a friend at my favorite cafe for the last train out of the City, having enjoyed a day at SFMOMA and comedy at the Purple Onion, I opened the book I'd bought at SFMOMA, Rudolf Leopold's Egon Schiele Landscapes and just started paging through it. I said, probably aloud, "I can't draw. I wish I could draw." Then I decided that I would try -- and I wouldn't care about mistakes.

This was my first drawing:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5024/5739259122_028cb2ce35.jpg

01 by ethernautrix, on Flickr

I did 30 "drawrings" in about 35 days and have been haphazard about practicing, although I managed to draw another 30 in about 40 or so days recently, and I carry a notebook with photocopies of pictures from the Schiele book so that I can spontaneous take up practicing again, which, I swear!, I'm going to do.

Jump right in! There are superb artists on fpn - I love Steve Light's work and Shawn Wallace's (watch_art) work -- so jump in. Don't care about the mistakes; that's the most important thing.

etherX in To Miasto

• 5 months later...

Update!

Very recently (only a few days ago), I started drawring miniature Schiele Landscape Variations (cos I'm still practicing), now adding color in patterns, thanks to plistumi's recommendation that I check out tanglepatterns.com and Sketchy's suggestion that I add color. Many thanks to plistumi and Sketchy!

fpn_1350933814__it-20121019-21_miniature_schiele_landscape_variations.jpg

P.S. These are photocopies pasted into a Moleskine notebook, to give you an idea of the size (grid ruling 5mm x 5mm of the notepad I'm drawring on). Pens used: Nakaya Desk Pen, Nakaya Long Piccolo, and Nakaya Naka-ai. Not-black inks in Edison Morgan Triumph and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar. :-)

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Update!

Very recently (only a few days ago), I started drawring miniature Schiele Landscape Variations (cos I'm still practicing), now adding color in patterns, thanks to plistumi's recommendation that I check out tanglepatterns.com and Sketchy's suggestion that I add color. Many thanks to plistumi and Sketchy!

fpn_1350933814__it-20121019-21_miniature_schiele_landscape_variations.jpg

P.S. These are photocopies pasted into a Moleskine notebook, to give you an idea of the size (grid ruling 5mm x 5mm of the notepad I'm drawring on). Pens used: Nakaya Desk Pen, Nakaya Long Piccolo, and Nakaya Naka-ai. Not-black inks in Edison Morgan Triumph and Nakaya Piccolo Cigar. :-)

Wow very nice. I love all those vignettes arranged on a page like that.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.