Hey Fpn; Here Is A Lesser Know Oldwin

markiv

I was on the lookout for a Oldwin for a while and finally have one in my possession. I think this pen may churn out my first pen review. While ornate pens are not my type I was willing to give it a try just because it was a Oldwin. I am also fond of classical music so it made sense. One of key aspects was ergonomics and am happy to report that it feels superb. While not meant to be posted (cap weighs a ton!) but un-posted it is very comfortable. The cap is supposedly done in silver and clip in 18K white gold but there are no hallmarks. Here is a link to a similar pen where barrel and cap are done in Silver.

For a Oldwin you can get your nibs in any width as long as it is a medium and so is this one. The logo on my pen is different from the typical Oldwin. I have seen it somewhere but my brain fails me. Looking forward to writing the heck out of it and myself.

Please feel free to share your Oldwin here....

http://i.imgur.com/ddf9T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/66b28.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pi7PI.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markiv

• georges zaslavsky

• hari317

• tmcneil82

Never even heard of this brand before. I really like the looks of that pen body. Is it a rather small pen though? It looks to be about sheaffer junior size.

Nice pen. I'm fond of pointed ends pens and of silver caps... You sir have just added another pen to an ever growing list of things I need to buy (well, you know what I mean when I say 'need').

hi MarkIV

I think you should send an email directly to mr mora morastylos@wanadoo.fr with the pics of the pen, he will tell you more about it

best regards

georges

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you all.

Yes we need to understand the clear difference between things we need and things that we want. I see myself mostly failing at this embarrassed_smile.gif

Georges, thank you for the email address. I will certainly contact him like you suggested.

Gary, nothing fancy just the plain old eBay.

Hari, I was certain that you would get a kick out of this thread. Replied back to your PM.

Edited by markiv

hi MarkIV

I think you should send an email directly to mr mora morastylos@wanadoo.fr with the pics of the pen, he will tell you more about it

best regards

georges

I second georges' recommendation.

Also, if you go to Pentrace, get in touch with JeanB. He has many, many Oldwin pens.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greg. I did do that twice but was not lucky finding answers via e-mail. But it did get better....

I second georges' recommendation.

Also, if you go to Pentrace, get in touch with JeanB. He has many, many Oldwin pens.

Regards, greg

...I was at the Chicago pen shows on Saturday and had the Oldwin on me hoping to learn more from the knowledgeable folks down there. This show is really a paradise for vintage collectors. Saw some real nice pens but unfortunately my wallet was on a diet. I was at Sarj Minhas's table (his is the most balanced display of modern and vintage wares). He has been like a beacon to me in the past with some of my queries. So I showed it to him and he was quite impressed. I told him how I was trying to find more information and he suggested why don't I go talk to Andre and my jaw dropped eureka.gif Andre Mora is here!! I thanked Sarj and dashed to meet Andre. He, immaculately dressed, was chatting at Ariel Kullock's table discussing some fancy pen cases as I eagerly waited my turn. Finally I showed him his creation. He was surprised and clearly remembered the pen. He had made it around 10 years ago and - drum roll please - this is one of a kind set, he never made another one. The nib is original to the pen and he didn't have his own nibs then so he used this one. I told him how I had emailed him upon Georges's suggestion and quipped that he was one of his best customers. I thanked him for his time and left feeling content.

Sarj if you are reading this: Thank you again - You are a great man who is always ready to help the ones in need. And the next time we meet I will definitely get something off your hands, I promise.

http://i.imgur.com/9jH2y.jpg

Mark, I am glad you encountered Andre Mora and that he told you the story of the pen. Mark if you ever come in France, I will be pleased to meet you and have a drink with you.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 months later...

Perfect opportunity to resurrect this thread.

Oldwin is not well know like Montblanc or Omas so here is a nice article on its heritage. André Mora, owner of Oldwin and Mora Stylo, had created a special edition of eight pieces to commemorate 80 years of pen-making. Here is No. 2 of 8. done in beautiful blue and gold celluloid similar to Patrician Turquoise celluloid. The blue doesn't have the marble effect like vintage and is probably the same as in Visconti's Titanic pen. More pictures to follow once the light gets better here.

http://i.imgur.com/ZBeO0.jpg

If I recall correctly modern Oldwins all have huge nibs (same size as the MB149). The brain interprets it as small pen with a normal sized nib, instead of a big pen with a big nib.

It has deceptive proportions - it is around 155 mm long with the cap on.

You can read more about this brand here.

Never even heard of this brand before. I really like the looks of that pen body. Is it a rather small pen though? It looks to be about sheaffer junior size.

If I recall correctly modern Oldwins all have huge nibs (same size as the MB149). The brain interprets it as small pen with a normal sized nib, instead of a big pen with a big nib.

It has deceptive proportions - it is around 155 mm long with the cap on.

You can read more about this brand here.

I agree. Just some quick snaps to put things into perspective.

L to R: Tibaldi Iride, Soennecken Prasident, Oldwin1, Oldwin2, Wahl Oversize, Pelikan 100CN.

http://i.imgur.com/COGcD.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/nF2Kj.jpg