Cs Issues....

Quartermain

Thanks Gary,

People often purchase after reading reviews so your feedback is much appreciated.

I have an idea for creating a 'feedback' page for each of our models and limited editions. In order to create these pages, I will be depending on people here to send me their feedback via email with the subject line of the message being 'Feedback'. I can quote form your messages and use your initials and country to help with privacy.

If people are willing to participate, please send the email to my address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhataway

• Ghost Plane

• Rich L

• The Good Captain

I wonder if the Bock italic nibs are maybe more problematic.

When I was at The Pen Gallery, my local CS dealer, I did try out different CS pen/nib combinations. All were smooth, wet writers. Unfortunately the one I eventually bought, an IM Professional Doctor's fp did not fare so well. It sputtered and dried up after about 2-3 sides and no amount of cleaning would help. The pen has been in CS UK for the last 3 months getting sorted. In conversation with the seller, he did mention that he has only ever sold 1 other problematic CS pen, a Churchill with an IB nib. Can this small sample size be enough evidence to indicate a higher problem rate with italics?

When I was at The Pen Gallery, my local CS dealer, I did try out different CS pen/nib combinations. All were smooth, wet writers. Unfortunately the one I eventually bought, an IM Professional Doctor's fp did not fare so well. It sputtered and dried up after about 2-3 sides and no amount of cleaning would help. The pen has been in CS UK for the last 3 months getting sorted. In conversation with the seller, he did mention that he has only ever sold 1 other problematic CS pen, a Churchill with an IB nib. Can this small sample size be enough evidence to indicate a higher problem rate with italics?

I have had about a half dozen new CS pens with the Italic nibs in IF, IM and IB sizes and all have been utterly reliable. In fact, not too long ago a new mother posted at FPN saying she was looking for a pen to start a journal for her new son and I sent her a DURO with an IM nib IIRC to use because it had been so totally reliable and wrote such an expressive line.

I have had about a half dozen new CS pens with the Italic nibs in IF, IM and IB sizes and all have been utterly reliable. In fact, not too long ago a new mother posted at FPN saying she was looking for a pen to start a journal for her new son and I sent her a DURO with an IM nib IIRC to use because it had been so totally reliable and wrote such an expressive line.

Oh well, there goes that theory, down the drain! Maybe it's just pot luck, but I just hate it when I've spent hundreds of dollars and find I need to spend some more with a nibmeister to get it to my tastes. Went that route with a Visconti HS, but now that it's back, it's my favorite pen. Perhaps CS could introduce a tuning service. Buy the pen and before they deliver it, they test and tune it to your desired specification.

Where were you thirteen years ago, when my kid was born?

• 1 year later...

When I was a pen importer for several Italian and Japanese Brands, I repaired hundreds of pens that suffered from poor ink flow. I personally tested every pen I sold and ensured proper flow and smoothness of the nib. When I received the malfunctioning pens for repair, the nibs were perfect (although MANY had been ruined by their owners' attempts at "smoothing" - by the way, we still replaced them for free...), the feeds were clogged, in 90% of cases by RED or reddish ink! If you use a red ink or a very deeply colored ink, PLEASE flush the pen often. In my experience (I started collecting in 1968....) the most frequent cause of pens with poor flow is the use of red or brownish inks and the lack of maintenance in the form of frequent flushing of pens using those inks. FWIW and YMMV etc... etc...

Edited by tryphon

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....