Cs Issues....

Quartermain

Does Bock make nibs for other high end pens? And, if so, does the same flow problems show up in these pens? My impression is that CS is having more than a fair share of nib feed problems, as evidenced by posts here. Comments?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhataway

• Ghost Plane

• Rich L

• The Good Captain

Does Bock make nibs for other high end pens? And, if so, does the same flow problems show up in these pens? My impression is that CS is having more than a fair share of nib feed problems, as evidenced by posts here. Comments?

As far as I'm aware, bock also make nibs for Onoto pens. I've had no issues whatsoever with my two Onoto nibs, one gold and one steel.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Bock makes nibs for many high end pens.

My Website

As far as I'm aware, bock also make nibs for Onoto pens. I've had no issues whatsoever with my two Onoto nibs, one gold and one steel.

I also have an Onoto, and have had no problems. It is a Churchill pinstripe with a gold nib. If Bock makes the nibs for both CS and Onoto, why does CS have posts re nib feed problems, and not Onoto? Just wondering. I have a couple of vintage CS pens that, of course, write with no problems. I haven't gone for a modern CS, partly because of the nib problem posts. And partly because Richard Binder quit carrying CS. Comments?

You might want to consider that such threads are statistically weighted toward negativity for assorted reasons. The majority of posters on FPN are self-identified as pickier users than the general public. Negativity seems to atract more posters than positivity.

To test this hypothesis, check the historical posts in the Italian forum regarding leak issues in Homo Sapiens pens. The issue was quickly resolved by the company under warranty, but the bad rep lingers despite rave reviews for the pens' performances since.

Ditto for the initial run of Pd nibs which were easing sprung due to a mistranslation of Italian advertising hype into English as "flex" when they didn't understand it was a term of art in English for specific nib behavior among pen fanatics.

You might want to consider that such threads are statistically weighted toward negativity for assorted reasons. The majority of posters on FPN are self-identified as pickier users than the general public. Negativity seems to atract more posters than positivity.

To test this hypothesis, check the historical posts in the Italian forum regarding leak issues in Homo Sapiens pens. The issue was quickly resolved by the company under warranty, but the bad rep lingers despite rave reviews for the pens' performances since.

Ditto for the initial run of Pd nibs which were easing sprung due to a mistranslation of Italian advertising hype into English as "flex" when they didn't understand it was a term of art in English for specific nib behavior among pen fanatics.

It's a well known marketing maxim that dissatisfied customers are far more vocal than satisfied customers. Thus forums are inevitably biased toward negative experiences.

It's a well known marketing maxim that dissatisfied customers are far more vocal than satisfied customers. Thus forums are inevitably biased toward negative experiences.

Ditto

+1

I agree

hit the nail on the head

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

Point taken. Thanks.

Ditto

+1

I agree

hit the nail on the head

I agree with your hypothesis re FPN posts tending toward the negative. Over a large number of samples,positive results would most likely be well ahead of negative results. For all pen companies. But CS may want to re visit their quality control methods. The Japanese are fanatical about QC, and over decades it has paid off.

Point taken. Thanks.

Ditto

+1

I agree

hit the nail on the head

I agree with your hypothesis re FPN posts tending toward the negative. Over a large number of samples,positive results would most likely be well ahead of negative results. For all pen companies. But CS may want to re visit their quality control methods. The Japanese are fanatical about QC, and over decades it has paid off.

Point taken. Thanks.

Ditto

+1

I agree

hit the nail on the head

So, quoting-and-posting three times in a row is an attempt to skew the statistics to the positive?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

He is speechless by the reaction of Rich

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Folks,

I'm sorry that I messed up my reply such that it got inserted into earlier posts. Still learning how to navigate the system, and making mistakes. I've asked enough questions re this subject, and appreciate the responses.

I'm a student for life. Learning never stops.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It has been fun reading this thread because at one point I thought it was going to turn negative and nasty, which it did not. Thank you to everybody ;)

Every pen manufacturer will have consumers experiencing issues about the nibs and that is because a fountain pen is a very personal writing tool. I have been exhibiting at pen shows for more than 19 years and have seen and personally experienced cases whereby one pen is test-written by two or more people and the nib will work for some, but not for others. I have also experienced times whereby a nib has been grounded for for the owner and looked great, but when I tried to write with the pen, I found it to be scratchy and skipped on certain strokes.

I have many pen brands in my collection and can't write with the Pelikan M1000 as I find the nib to be too flexible, I also have Aurora pens that do not work when filled with Montblanc Black ink. I also found that several of my S. T. Dupont pens will dry quickly if I do not replace the cap after writing. I have noticed that I can't use some of the Noodler's inks because the ink dries too quickly and makes some of my pens a dry starter. I personally find that CS, Omas and Diamine ink work very well for the majority of my pens and offer a wonderful choice of colours. I also have problems with skipping when writing with some of my Duofolds that have Oblique nibs, but do not have a problem with their Italics. I also bet there are people who have read this paragraph and have not experienced the same issues.

Each CS pen is test written at the factory and this process delays the shipping of completed pens by 24 hours because of our QC person writes a couple of pages with the pen, and then the writing instrument is cleaned out of ink and left to dry until the next day before packing. This is a standard procedure unless requested otherwise. In the past eight years that I have been working for CS, I can put my hand on my heart, and truthfully state that we have more satisfied customers who continue to support our brand than non-satisfied customers -- this includes people who write with their pens right out of the box.

If you buy a pen on the secondary market or through eBay, then we cannot guarantee the writing qualities of the nib and this is for obvious reasons. However, if you have ordered your pen and find that after writing with your pen that the nib is skipping, and have tried writing with the pen on different paper and using different inks, Conway Stewart has always offered to care of the problem and in many cases we utilise the services of Michael Masuyama -- who by the way loves to use our CS ink for testing all the pens that are sent to him.

After reading this thread, I asked the repairs department what is the most reoccurring issue they notice when a customer sends a pen back for service and their response was that the ink had dried up inside the pen and which caused the clogging of the feed or the owner has been using different colours of ink but has not been cleaning/flushing their pen out completely with water to clean and remove the previously used ink.

Should you have a problem with the writing qualities of your newly received Conway Stewart pen, please send me an email at: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk and I will help to take care of the problem you are experiencing.

I receive many emails on a daily basis from customers around the world voicing their happiness and satisfaction with their CS pen. Because the emails are personal, it would not be respectful to the sender if I posted their messages or scanned their hand written letters and cards for all to read. I suppose one way to help prove the amount of owners who are happy with the writing qualities of their pens is to personally ask for their feedback for all to read, but just like many websites that have the pop-up window asking for customer feedback, or even when we call customer services centres to speak to our banks, health insurance agencies, cable, etc., when asked if we will participate in a survey after our conversation, we often say no as we don't have the time. In a perfect world, we would all have the time to respond for positive and negative feedback, but in today's world, it appears we only have time for the negatives.

Again, if you have a problem with your pen, please let us know. Conway Stewart is proactive with customer support and service.

Kind regards,

Mary Burke

Mary,

An excellent post. Answered all questions. We have all probably experienced various nib issues over time. I have had a few, but none from the two vintage CS pens. Now, I'll have to start looking at the modern pens. Thanks.

Hi

I am absolutley delighted with the performance of my new, black, CS Churchill fountain pen #792/1000(lever filler.)

It has a medium nib and it performed flawlessly straight out of the box (I am left handed).

Regards,

Edited by Gary1952

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.