Akkerman Ink Group Guy, Anyone?

All the discussion about Akkerman inks/bottles here made me interested in picking up some of their ink. The shipping charges are a major turn off so this screams for a group buy. I contacted them to see what efficiencies can be gained by placing larger orders.

Here is the table of shipping charges:

up to 3 bottles 30 Euro

4-7 bottles 40 Euro

15 bottles 70 Euro

Delivery time to the US is ~2 weeks.

If there is enough interest, I may sign up to facilitate a group buy. I know forum user Tenney is considering facilitating one too, but the plan there is to distribute the ink at a face 2 face gathering in the Bay Area, so if you are located there you may want to get in touch with him.

So, if you would be interested in a group buy where you will pay for international shipping and then for domestic shipping, please let me know by posting in this thread.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovmac

• amberleadavis

• mik86

• Ted Andkilde

All the discussion about Akkerman inks/bottles here made me interested in picking up some of their ink. The shipping charges are a major turn off so this screams for a group buy. I contacted them to see what efficiencies can be gained by placing larger orders.

Here is the table of shipping charges:

up to 3 bottles 30 Euro

4-7 bottles 40 Euro

15 bottles 70 Euro

Delivery time to the US is ~2 weeks.

If there is enough interest, I may sign up to facilitate a group buy. I know forum user Tenney is considering facilitating one too, but the plan there is to distribute the ink at a face 2 face gathering in the Bay Area, so if you are located there you may want to get in touch with him.

So, if you would be interested in a group buy where you will pay for international shipping and then for domestic shipping, please let me know by posting in this thread.

I cant be there but this is a true steal.

(15bottles * 16.5euro/bottle + 70euro) / 15 bottles = 21.16 euros, or $27.79. Great deal for what you get!

At around $35 , I would definitely be in! I picked up an unopened bottle from Pendelton Brown in Atlanta.Very cool bottle!

I too would pay $35 to have one bottle shipped to me in Tucson, Arizona. I didn't see the part about domestic shipping. I thought you meant Bay-Area pick-up only.:)

Anyone interested in a German deal? Here, too, the postage (17.50 Eros) comes in at more than the price of a whole bottle (16.50 Eros). Even although we are both in the EU and just around the corner....

Mikos

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Anyone interested in a German deal? Here, too, the postage (17.50 Eros) comes in at more than the price of a whole bottle (16.50 Eros). Even although we are both in the EU and just around the corner....

Mikos

Even for one bottle, it is still cheaper per ml than De Atramentis.

I'd be interested if there were some folks in the Detroit area that wanted to pool their order. I have a staffed commercial address to receive items.

Cheers, Ted

I am interested; hard to decide what colour, but I'd really, really like to have one of those bottles.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Sounds like we have enough interest to pull this off. I will follow through with my offer to facilitate this. By my count we are at 8-10 bottles. It would be great if we could get to 15, as that is the most effective shipping cost per bottle. I will wait until Monday at noon PST to see if there is any more interest.

In the mean time, if you have posted on this thread expressing interest, please expect a PM asking for the details on your part of the order.

I'd be interested if there were some folks in the Detroit area that wanted to pool their order. I have a staffed commercial address to receive items.

Cheers, Ted

Yes, I might be interested. I'm in Ann Arbor.

I'd be in for 1, or maybe 2 depending on final price. But, how are you going to handle re-shipping it?

And, if there were enough in the SF area to do a buy of our own... hint hint... nudge nudge.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

If you are interested, I can tell you that it took over the two weeks for my order - but I don't know that it should have been that long. By the time, I paid the shipping and the conversion (which changed in the middle of paying the paypal invoice) and accounted for the breakage (one arrived broken) - I paid $35.23 each and the shipping from me to anyone else will run at least another $5 so at $40 per bottle the buyer would break even if no bottles are broken in transit. $45 would cover the original buyer safely.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Please include me for 1-2 bottles. Thanks very much for generously organizing a group buy! :thumbup:

All the Best, Gem

If you are interested, I can tell you that it took over the two weeks for my order - but I don't know that it should have been that long. By the time, I paid the shipping and the conversion (which changed in the middle of paying the paypal invoice) and accounted for the breakage (one arrived broken) - I paid $35.23 each and the shipping from me to anyone else will run at least another $5 so at $40 per bottle the buyer would break even if no bottles are broken in transit. $45 would cover the original buyer safely.

I had not thought about breakage, do you happen to know if your broken bottle is somewhat of an isolated incident or whether many others who have ordered from Akkerman have received broken bottles?

I'm not doing this for profit, so given the current Paypal € exchange rate (1.36) and the cost of a medium USPS priority mail box, the total cost per bottle is $40.14.

I had not thought about breakage, do you happen to know if your broken bottle is somewhat of an isolated incident or whether many others who have ordered from Akkerman have received broken bottles?

I'm not doing this for profit, so given the current Paypal € exchange rate (1.36) and the cost of a medium USPS priority mail box, the total cost per bottle is $40.14.

I read somewhere on FPN that the bottles were packed very well. I would imagine that a bottle breaking would be a rare incidence. If somebody's bottle DID break, I would think the best course of action would be for everyone else to split the difference of their broken bottle so that they could be reimbursed. I know I would.