In Paper Heaven 完全

SamCapote

I have a stash of their notebooks in various sizes but found I don't use them much because of the lines.

Hmm, wanna unload some of those?

Not quite yet... and then there's the stash of Moleskines...

I've just ordered a Model 288 from Design-Y, so I'll decide whether to purge my stationery cupboard when I get a chance to fondle that. I'm using up an eight-year-old supply of Clairefontaine wirebound A5s at the moment. I do tend to buy in bulk "just in case it's discontinued", regret it, but then force myself to use it up. I come from the generation that was made to clear its plate before it could leave the table.

The up-side of that habit, of course, is finding five forgotten full bottles of Parker Penman at the back of a drawer last week - one Ebony, three Mocha, and one Sapphire.

Karen Traviss

www.karentraviss.com

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penhand

• SamCapote

• Karen Traviss

• marcomillions

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a stash of their notebooks in various sizes but found I don't use them much because of the lines.

Hmm, wanna unload some of those?

Not quite yet... and then there's the stash of Moleskines...

I've just ordered a Model 288 from Design-Y, so I'll decide whether to purge my stationery cupboard when I get a chance to fondle that. I'm using up an eight-year-old supply of Clairefontaine wirebound A5s at the moment. I do tend to buy in bulk "just in case it's discontinued", regret it, but then force myself to use it up. I come from the generation that was made to clear its plate before it could leave the table.

The up-side of that habit, of course, is finding five forgotten full bottles of Parker Penman at the back of a drawer last week - one Ebony, three Mocha, and one Sapphire.

Well if you do, let me know what price.

If you have to ask it is too much? This is kind of a cop out IMHO. I mean I wouldn't order something without knowing how much it is, I don't care if it is a Bentley or a toothbrush. I am having the same problem, I googled it to no avail. I would love to know how much it costs and where you got it.

I will say after hearing this is the paper he uses in his bound journals I will probably be buying one of them now :) .

It's not a cop out. Even if he told you, you most likely never buy 4 reams of paper because it's out of your league of cost, especially for paper. At over 100$ for a ream of paper? Would you do that? At most, I've paid $20 for cotton laid resume paper. That's not even including shipping, which wouldn't be cheap, since it's solid paper.

Amalfi paper is around $1.50 a sheet so there are regularly available paper that is in the same zone. it is funny that in a hobby with $30 bottles of ink and thousand dollar pens that paper would get " if you ask you can not afford it" :headsmack:

Erring; for he with this rebellious rout

Fell long before; nor aught aviled him now

To have built in Heaven high towers; nor did he scape

By all his engines, but was headlong sent

With his industrious crew, to build in Hell

You might regret bulk now, but about half my stuff I wish I had done the same and bought in bulk.

I guess I will grab one of his journals before I decide on the paper, for 600 pages it really isn't that much. I mean I just made my own (though I had to buy some tools due to it being my first time making a bound book) and it was probably 50+ dollars in just materials so for a little over 100 (before I get killed on shipping I am sure) that isn't bad.

Also, thanks for all the links, now I have a place to go to get this when I find out the paper is "heaven" as Sam describes it :) .

Here is the link should you wish to get the paper in A-4 size. I still don't know the ACTUAL price because there is conversion, shipping, etc., but I'm sure it is more expensive than most people would be willing to pay especially because I had it shipped EMS so nothing went wrong with it.

I am going to make some pads. Just trying a couple of padding compounds &/or rubber cement to see what works best.

Here are the front and back of some samples I just did, including the note from Mr. Yoshino-san. Remember this is 52 weight paper. I wouldn't be using this to write on both sides of the paper, but you can see that none of them bleed through. Several of the juicy nibs left puddles that took a bit longer to dry. Normal size & flowing nibs dries pretty quickly. When I use especially the Pelikan M1000 OBBB nib on most paper it bleeds through.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Paper/Tomoe-Fronts.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Paper/Tomroe-Backs.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Great work Sam. I think the paper is incredible. Great strength, very light and while there are shadows and ghosting, it doesn't feather or bleed. Mr. Yoshino's work is beyond description. The only issue is if you get a notebook you will fear using it as the beauty is so great. Again Sam great work.

I have a Design.Y Record 216 notebook, and while I admire the notebook and craftsmanship, to me the paper is too thin: I find that I accident smush it when I turn pages, and it seems to crinkle in a fashion heavier papers don't.

You are right that the paper is thin, and that it can also have all these other features is what makes using it a magical, unique experience. There is a reason why the master Japanese notebook craftsman, Mr. Yoshino-san chose it from all available paper.

I assume by crinkle, you mean the feel as you carefully turn the pages, but that is true with any thin paper whether a dictionary, Bible, phone book, or thin page magazines, and I respect your personal preference. No offense, but I'm not sure what you mean by "smush" since that is not a real word outside of the Jersey Shore TV show imbeciles who demonstrate that human beings can walk & copulate without having higher brain function.

You might regret bulk now, but about half my stuff I wish I had done the same and bought in bulk.

I can not have bulk. I travel a lot and am living in other peoples houses and so bulk is just a total no no. I have to buy small and even then, when it comes to papers and books, when changing clients I leave a lot behind.

Once I get a base home then things will be different but that may still be a while.

Thanks for the pictures Sam! I like that paper a lot!

Edited by Stompie

If you have to ask it is too much? This is kind of a cop out IMHO. I mean I wouldn't order something without knowing how much it is, I don't care if it is a Bentley or a toothbrush. I am having the same problem, I googled it to no avail. I would love to know how much it costs and where you got it.

I will say after hearing this is the paper he uses in his bound journals I will probably be buying one of them now :) .

It's not a cop out. Even if he told you, you most likely never buy 4 reams of paper because it's out of your league of cost, especially for paper. At over 100$ for a ream of paper? Would you do that? At most, I've paid $20 for cotton laid resume paper. That's not even including shipping, which wouldn't be cheap, since it's solid paper.

I'm sorry but I just found the response rather uncivil. I think it's strange to assume what you think you know about another person's habits in researching potential purchases.

I'm sorry but I just found the response rather uncivil. I think it's strange to assume what you think you know about another person's habits in researching potential purchases.

Agreed. Wanting to know the cost was a completely valid question, and I was rather stunned at the replies. It's not like price-points are not ever discussed here.

...You know what they say about assuming...

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Agreed. Wanting to know the cost was a completely valid question, and I was rather stunned at the replies. It's not like price-points are not ever discussed here.

I was surprised to. On a formum where many members have tens of thousands of dollars of pens, approximately $500 for a lifetime supply of really nice paper looks almost reasonable!

Besides, $100 for a 1000 sheet ream is $0.10 per sheet, which looks rather reasonable compared to G. Lalo and Original Crown Mill at $0.30 per sheet. The minimum order of 4000 sheets would certainly be a barrier to many, but one could look at it as a lifetime supply, and there's also the possibility of a group buy.

EDIT: I wonder if the Goulets would be interested in carrying this paper?

Edited by raging.dragon

Thanks for posting about this paper, Sam. I've been really curious about it. I don't use loose sheets very often, so four reams would be overkill for me; given the quality (not to mention quantity and overseas shipping) of the paper, I don't think the price is outlandish.

Now that I feel confident that the paper will work well even with my OBB nibs, I will be placing an order for a Design Y notebook shortly. Their notebooks are beautiful and I'm glad that I'll be able to use them with my favorite pens (most of which have wet broad nibs).

I was surprised to. On a formum where many members have tens of thousands of dollars of pens, approximately $500 for a lifetime supply of really nice paper looks almost reasonable!

Besides, $100 for a 1000 sheet ream is $0.10 per sheet, which looks rather reasonable compared to G. Lalo and Original Crown Mill at $0.30 per sheet. The minimum order of 4000 sheets would certainly be a barrier to many, but one could look at it as a lifetime supply, and there's also the possibility of a group buy.

EDIT: I wonder if the Goulets would be interested in carrying this paper?

To me, it's also the attitude that less disposable income means you're less worthy of the hobby, which is nonsense, IMHO. We have people of all kinds of backgrounds here, and there's no need for elitist attitudes... but that's my view on it. I'd just hate to see new people turned off because something comes off a certain way.

raging.dragon, you bring up a great point about a group buy!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

OMG, will you people let it go about the price responses already? For those still obsessing, and ascribing elitist, or "you are less worthy" class warfare motivation in answering DanF's question, you are way off base.

They don't just sell a ream. Minimum was 4,000 or 4 reams. As far as the price, I have to see how the conversion comes through...but basically if you have to ask that question, it will be too much.

That was my way of saying I didn't yet know the whole price because of add-on foreign currency credit card fees, conversion rates, and cost of EMS (2 day) delivery. I knew in any case it was not a "practical" paper purchase, any more than how the Hakase real squid ink purchase from Japan got dissected down to the price per ml. I would have given the same answer if asked in that thread.

I didn't want this thread to similarly become about assessing the value of this paper in monetary terms such as cost per sheet. IMHO, the magical qualities of this paper is "above" that method of determining its worth. I forget we now live in a world where you must say everything perfectly--with the sensitivity of an angel, and always be politically correct or those people waiting to be offended will pounce. Well that's not me. It's not personal. Deal with it. :bunny01:

Sam,If everybody read your posts as if being spoken by the slow chewing giraffe in your avatar, nobody would every get upset or offended by anything that you say. :P

Sam,If everybody read your posts as if being spoken by the slow chewing giraffe in your avatar, nobody would every get upset or offended by anything that you say. :P

True...but we'd be really irked by that dang giraffe; doesn't he know that he shouldn't be talking with his mouth full?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde