Targas - Matching Sections And Nib Materials

Roger W.

Probably a question for Bill. How many nib units come in matching color of the pen (not including black)? Also, nib materials - I'm familiar with steel and 14K gold but, they came in 23K electroplate? Any others? Thanks.

Roger W.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• gee09

• sexauerw

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

The electroplate was on the furniture only IIRC.

Not sure what you mean about the nib unit matching the pen. Do you mean the section?

My Website

jar;

Targas are integrated so it is not what I would call a "section" - but, ya the section. The seller of a metallic garnet said the nib does not look to be 14K but it isn't steel so she thought the nib electroplated. I've two targas I bought in the 80's but the nib units are newer with the gold one saying 14K on it. So I'm guessing the one she is looking at is yellow but not marked 14K. I don't know what the possible options are though I thought just 14K and steel. What do you know?

Roger W.

jar;

Targas are integrated so it is not what I would call a "section" - but, ya the section. The seller of a metallic garnet said the nib does not look to be 14K but it isn't steel so she thought the nib electroplated. I've two targas I bought in the 80's but the nib units are newer with the gold one saying 14K on it. So I'm guessing the one she is looking at is yellow but not marked 14K. I don't know what the possible options are though I thought just 14K and steel. What do you know?

Roger W.

Well, my Targa collection doesn't hold a candle to Bill's, but all of mine have the black plastic section with either steel or 14K gold nib. Even the 1006 CT had the yellow gold nib just like my 1006X.

My Website

HI Roger,

I picked up a couple of slimline electroplated nib units in red, but this is the only coloured Targa nib unit I've come across. I'm not sure if they were made to go with a particular body or it's just a prototype nib, if there is such a thing. They do look quite nice with a red ronce or imperial red cap and barrel.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab148/ge09/redg.jpg

The 23K electroplated nib came out in the early to mid 1990's in the UK and was only offered for sale to the trade from the service department. I don't think Sheaffer fitted the gold plated nib to any of the normal range, however the few Targa Classic gold plated pens I've come across with fine lines and spaces pattern, have been fitted with a GP nib.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab148/ge09/goldplatedimperialclassic2fittedwithgoldplatednib.jpg

There is also the 18K nib which was fitted to the Masterpiece, Fred and Pallisandre de Rio, plus all pens with gold nibs sold in France.

Cheers

Gary

HI Roger,

I picked up a couple of slimline electroplated nib units in red, but this is the only coloured Targa nib unit I've come across. I'm not sure if they were made to go with a particular body or it's just a prototype nib, if there is such a thing. They do look quite nice with a red ronce or imperial red cap and barrel.

The 23K electroplated nib came out in the early to mid 1990's in the UK and was only offered for sale to the trade from the service department. I don't think Sheaffer fitted the gold plated nib to any of the normal range, however the few Targa Classic gold plated pens I've come across with fine lines and spaces pattern, have been fitted with a GP nib.

There is also the 18K nib which was fitted to the Masterpiece, Fred and Pallisandre de Rio, plus all pens with gold nibs sold in France.

Cheers

Gary

Neat, learn something new most every time I come here. I've never seen one of them beasties. I wonder if there were other color sections as well?

My Website

HI Roger,

Cheers

Gary

Gary;

Thanks, that's just the info I'm looking for. The Targa website has a load of prototypes on it almost as many of them as there are models. The garnet I'm getting is supposed to be a prototype and have a matching nib unit. Maybe the matching nib unit is a prototype thing as the nib is 23K electroplate as you have pictured.

Roger W.

HI Roger,

Cheers

Gary

Gary;

Thanks, that's just the info I'm looking for. The Targa website has a load of prototypes on it almost as many of them as there are models. The garnet I'm getting is supposed to be a prototype and have a matching nib unit. Maybe the matching nib unit is a prototype thing as the nib is 23K electroplate as you have pictured.

Roger W.

Roger,

I guess it must be a Classic size pen? Would love to see some pictures when it arrives.

Gary

HI Roger,

Cheers

Gary

Gary;

Roger W.

Roger,

I guess it must be a Classic size pen? Would love to see some pictures when it arrives.

Gary

Gary,

No, the metallic Garnet only came in the slim - is your red in classic or slim? (guessing classic from your response). I'm thinking maybe on the prototypes they didn't waste 14K nibs but, electroplate that being cheaper. I'm also thinking the Targa prototype runs are more like what we would call short runs on the older vintage stuff as there are a lot of Targa prototypes about. Prototype balances are hugely rare so targa to balances in prototypes is apples and oranges - doesn't compare.

I'd like to know more about the 23K electroplate nibs in the matching colored nib units. My now working theory is that these were done for prototypes but, how were these distributed as there are a lot? Why not matching nib units on production runs on the ronces and laques (color not pattern - not going nuts here)? Or, why matching nib units on prototypes?

Roger W.

HI Roger,

Cheers

Gary

Gary;

Roger W.

Roger,

Gary

Gary,

No, the metallic Garnet only came in the slim - is your red in classic or slim? (guessing classic from your response). I'm thinking maybe on the prototypes they didn't waste 14K nibs but, electroplate that being cheaper. I'm also thinking the Targa prototype runs are more like what we would call short runs on the older vintage stuff as there are a lot of Targa prototypes about. Prototype balances are hugely rare so targa to balances in prototypes is apples and oranges - doesn't compare.

I'd like to know more about the 23K electroplate nibs in the matching colored nib units. My now working theory is that these were done for prototypes but, how were these distributed as there are a lot? Why not matching nib units on production runs on the ronces and laques (color not pattern - not going nuts here)? Or, why matching nib units on prototypes?

Roger W.

Roger,

I was thinking of the Garnet Ronce Classic pen and had totally forgotten about the Slimline Metallic Garnet, mine is a slimline red nib unit. I was hoping you were getting a coloured Classic unit, I would have loved to see that.

I think the Targa prototypes were only made in very small quantitys and maybe only singles in some cases? I was told the guy at Murelli France who came up with the new Laque finishes was a little eccentric and many of his cap and barrel tubes ended up in the skip. I have a few unfinished(not cut to size) cap and barrel tubes and the seller told me they were fished out of the rubbish bins .

I don't think they can be many of the coloured nib units around, I'm sure more would have surfaced by now, however you never know. It would be nice to see some come out of the woodwork.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by gee09

Roger,

I was thinking of the Garnet Ronce Classic pen and had totally forgotten about the Slimline Metallic Garnet, mine is a slimline red nib unit. I was hoping you were getting a coloured Classic unit, I would have loved to see that.

I think the Targa prototypes were only made in very small quantitys and maybe only singles in some cases? I was told the guy at Murelli France who came up with the new Laque finishes was a little eccentric and many of his cap and barrel tubes ended up in the skip. I have a few unfinished(not cut to size) cap and barrel tubes and the seller told me they were fished out of the rubbish bins .

I don't think they can be many of the coloured nib units around, I'm sure more would have surfaced by now, however you never know. It would be nice to see some come out of the woodwork.

Cheers

Gary

Gary;

Your red looked slim but, that can be deceiving. I think there must be relatively plenty of colored nib units as on my first go at Targas I will have one - maybe I just got lucky. Prototype Targas look to be very abundant though that it not to say that many may be one offs but, it seems there are plenty of short run available models as well that never found themselves official. Then, for the black pens, there are all those matching nib units in black. :roflmho:

Roger W.

Roger,

I have 123 Classic Targas and 26 Slim Targas; all 149 of them have black sections. So I have to disagree that colored sections are common. Until I read this thread tonight I had never even heard of a colored section on a Targa. So it's my belief that colored sections must be prototypes.

Gary is spot on the mark with regard to both the electroplated nibs and the 18K nibs. I have three Classic and one Slim Targa with the electroplated nibs; all four nibs are marked exactly like the one in Gary's photo, including the hallmark. And I've been known to use eBay France to find a Targa with an 18K nib when I needed one to restore a Palissandre de Rio or a Masterpiece to proper configuration.

As to Gary's photo possibly being deceiving, no. The Classic Targa section has a short flare at the end of the plastic to transition between the section diameter and the barrel diameter. The Slim Targa section and barrel diameters are the same so there is no flare on the section, the plastic just ends smoothly as is shown in Gary's photo. Once you are familiar with this little detail the difference between the two parts is always quite clear, you don't have to rely on perceived proportions.

Here's a photo of a Classic nib section, compare it to Gary's photo of a Slim section:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/TargaCalligraphyNib.jpg

Here's a photo of a Classic and Slim pen side-by-side. It's harder to see with the nib section installed on the pen, but not impossible.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/ClassicandSlimTargaNibs.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Roger,

I have 123 Classic Targas and 26 Slim Targas; all 149 of them have black sections. So I have to disagree that colored sections are common. Until I read this thread tonight I had never even heard of a colored section on a Targa. So it's my belief that colored sections must be prototypes.

Gary is spot on the mark with regard to both the electroplated nibs and the 18K nibs. I have three Classic and one Slim Targa with the electroplated nibs; all four nibs are marked exactly like the one in Gary's photo, including the hallmark. And I've been known to use eBay France to find a Targa with an 18K nib when I needed one to restore a Palissandre de Rio or a Masterpiece to proper configuration.

As to Gary's photo possibly being deceiving, no. The Classic Targa section has a short flare at the end of the plastic to transition between the section diameter and the barrel diameter. The Slim Targa section and barrel diameters are the same so there is no flare on the section, the plastic just ends smoothly as is shown in Gary's photo. Once you are familiar with this little detail the difference between the two parts is always quite clear, you don't have to rely on perceived proportions.

Here's a photo of a Classic nib section, compare it to Gary's photo of a Slim section:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/TargaCalligraphyNib.jpg

Here's a photo of a Classic and Slim pen side-by-side. It's harder to see with the nib section installed on the pen, but not impossible.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/ClassicandSlimTargaNibs.jpg

Bill;

Yes, I've concluded that colored nib units are prototypes and maybe just on slimlines. They do seem uncommon but, my first venture into Targas after 28 years is a matching nib unit. Metallic Garnet seems to be a regular run model as well though - maybe it made the grade. 23K plated nibs look to be uncommon as well - are they too perhaps an indication of a prototype?

Roger W.

Roger,

There were four colors in the Metallic series.

1050 Quicksilver

1051 Dark Metallic Gray

1052 Metallic Garnet

1053 Metallic Midnight Blue

I have the Slim fountain pens in all four colors and the ballpoints in all but the Midnight Blue. All four of the fountain pens have black sections with 14K nibs. The Dark Metallic Gray and the Metallic Garnet ballpoints have very dark gray anodized furniture, while the Quicksilver ballpoint has the normal gold-plated furniture. This is typical of what I have seen advertised as well, although I think recall having seen the Dark Gray and Garnet ballpoints with gold furniture as well but not so often. But I've never seen the gray furniture on an FP. So I'm curious, what color is the furniture of your new Slim FP? Gold would be normal and dark gray would be another indicator to me that the pen is a prototype.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Roger,

There were four colors in the Metallic series.

1050 Quicksilver

1051 Dark Metallic Gray

1052 Metallic Garnet

1053 Metallic Midnight Blue

I have the Slim fountain pens in all four colors and the ballpoints in all but the Midnight Blue. All four of the fountain pens have black sections with 14K nibs. The Dark Metallic Gray and the Metallic Garnet ballpoints have very dark gray anodized furniture, while the Quicksilver ballpoint has the normal gold-plated furniture. This is typical of what I have seen advertised as well, although I think recall having seen the Dark Gray and Garnet ballpoints with gold furniture as well but not so often. But I've never seen the gray furniture on an FP. So I'm curious, what color is the furniture of your new Slim FP? Gold would be normal and dark gray would be another indicator to me that the pen is a prototype.

Bill;

I haven't got it yet but, I believe it is all 23K electroplate. So everything like a normal 1052s except a matching color nib unit with a 23K electroplate nib. A prototype of a 1052s not just a prototype but, I don't have another metallic Garnet to compare so I won't know if there is any variation in the color for instance.

Roger W.

The Metallic Garnet slimline arrived.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Targametallicgarnet.jpg

Metallic Garnet with matching nib unit

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Targametallicgarnet1.jpg

This nib is not marked 14K or 23K electroplate. At this point I am assuming it is 23K electroplate.

Edited by Roger W.

The Metallic Garnet slimline arrived.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Targametallicgarnet.jpg

Metallic Garnet with matching nib unit

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Targametallicgarnet1.jpg

This nib is not marked 14K or 23K electroplate. At this point I am assuming it is 23K electroplate.

HI Roger,

Nice find, looks like the nib was made with this pen in mind, the colour of the gripping section is totally different to the red one's of mine.

Cheers

Gary

Roger,

I agree that the nib is gold-plated rather than solid gold. A solid nib would certainly have been marked 14K 585. This pen is full of surprises, it is the first gold-plated Targa nib that I have seen that is not marked with 23K Gold-electroplated. As I'm sure you know, consistency was never one of Sheaffer's strong points.

Bill Sexauer
PCA Member since 2006

I had a black gold plated nib which was marked the same, it seems to have gone walkabouts but I still have the photograph.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/images/nib%20crops/slim%20g%202.jpg

Gary