The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 13:57

The Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver pen came in the great looking wooden box. This box is huge. There is some space for the extra cartridge inks and converter under the upper flap inside the box. Great presentation box for this pen. The pen came with a Platinum converter.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now to the pen. A very distinct looking sterling silver body. Plantinum says this pen is created by the silver artist who is recognized by the govt of Japan. Under light, the body and cap sparkle and reflect light because of the hammered finish. This is a different kind of sparkles I saw from other sterling silver pens.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The nib is made of platinum. My dip test with WM Florida Blue indicates the nib is super smooth medium tip. Platinum M nibs are more toward Western F or EF (for that matter). So, I can write small letters neatly while enjoying a smoother M tip. I also enjoy Platinum's F nibs and I find both tip sizes are very good in their own right.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here are side by side comparions with other sterling silver pens.
Platinum Pin Stripe Sterling Silver vs Hammered Sterling Silver. The size looks the same.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The gold vs platinum nib. Both nibs are great writers.
Posted Image
Posted Image

And, together with a MB silver barley.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pen2009, 18 April 2012 - 13:58.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:11

What's it like to hold? Does it seem weird?
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:13

Beautiful pens.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:16

What's it like to hold? Does it seem weird?

There is no issue with holding the pen. I have 2 Pilot Silverns with different patterns along with a MB and another Platinum. Each of those pens has a differnt pattern. The hammered sterling silver's body and cap are very smooth. Actually, I like the look and feel of the pen.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 16:06

Interesting, but I find, looking at the photos, that I actually prefer the look of the Barley over the hammered silver (the texture -- if not the color -- of the finish reminds me a bit too much of Wendell August Forge hammered aluminum).
YMMV -- but that's the great thing about FPN: I can see what I *don't* like as well as what I'd really want to get, or want to be able to afford someday).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Appelboompen

Appelboompen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 16:42

Love the first pen! :notworthy1:
Visit our webstore www.appelboompennen.nl
We ship worldwide!

#7 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:39

I love the hammered finish. It makes a change (from the predictable MB barley and silver stripe platinum).

Can the cap be posted? If so, does it upset the balance?

F

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#8 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 17:11

Superb, I love the hammered finish but sadly its way beyond my reach at the moment.

I am curious about the solid Platinum nib, how does it feel as compared to the 18K gold nib on the lined silver pen?

Thanks!
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#9 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2012 - 13:36

I love the hammered finish. It makes a change (from the predictable MB barley and silver stripe platinum).

Can the cap be posted? If so, does it upset the balance?

F

I don't post my pens; so, I am not sure how it balances. I think the pen can be posted. The pen is well balanced as is without the cap posted.

Superb, I love the hammered finish but sadly its way beyond my reach at the moment.

I am curious about the solid Platinum nib, how does it feel as compared to the 18K gold nib on the lined silver pen?

Thanks!
Hari

The platinum nib on this pen is very smooth. I have not yet put those 2 pens into rotation. So I could not write up a thorough review on the writing performance and feel yet. I have several Platinum pens and I appreciate its high quality control, compared to other brands.

#10 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 14:03

Spectacular, thanks for sharing!

#11 Dark_Severus

Dark_Severus

Paragonian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:06

Beautiful! Recently got hold of a Platinum President myself -my first Japanese pen. The nibs are definitely worth all the hype...

adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zps

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

#12 Tancred

Tancred

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:11

What is the uncapped length, in mm, of the Platinum Sterling Silver FP?

Thank you/

Sponsored Content

|