Photos Of, Or List Of, The Different Colors.

jd50ae

Beautiful pens in this thread, I have 15 or 20 even 3 blacks with golden nibs but what I would love to hear is its capacity for work and durability, I was reading here days before that after one year

of use the section begins to form little cracks, I dont think it is true for all the No Nonsenses but

who knows.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jd50ae

• Pincel

• 2GreyCats

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...but what I would love to hear is its capacity for work and durability, I was reading here days before that after one year

of use the section begins to form little cracks

The current cartridges are approx. 1.1 ml, and rigged as an eyedropper it can manage 3.6 ml. I've got a couple of them from the earlier days of production (rubber feed, makers name impressed as a line of latitude just below the outer barrel threads), and I've yet to see a section or barrel fail without some serious user input.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

...but what I would love to hear is its capacity for work and durability, I was reading here days before that after one year

of use the section begins to form little cracks

The current cartridges are approx. 1.1 ml, and rigged as an eyedropper it can manage 3.6 ml. I've got a couple of them from the earlier days of production (rubber feed, makers name impressed as a line of latitude just below the outer barrel threads), and I've yet to see a section or barrel fail without some serious user input.

Thats wonderful Ernst.

Does anyone have any swap / sell NNs that they'd be willing to sell?

I think it may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but there are new old stock pens available at isellpens.com and Peyton Street Pens. Other sites might also have them. If shipping is your concern, you can contact the vendors and they have several options. Cheers.

Here are my four NoNonsense pens. I saw two of them on other posts above, but the Stars & Stripes and the Soccer Balls I don't think I saw on anybody else's posts.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/SH166SheafferNononsenseStarsandStripes.jpg

It is here. It is prominently displayed in the front row of my NN collection.

Probably the cleanest and best packaged pen I have ever received.

JD

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370629566941?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

Did a lot of reading on the internet about this pen and it appears that it is a NN of limited production.

Already ordered one and speerbob says there are more.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1436.l2648

Did a lot of reading on the internet about this pen and it appears that it is a NN of limited production.

Already ordered one and speerbob says there are more.

Hopefully you didn't pay $39.99 plus $5.25 shipping. Bob has a special offer for FPN members for this Le Bordeaux--$40.00 with free shipping (US & Canada). When I ordered this, I emailed him instead of going through thEbay.

What did you find out on the internet besides Bob's comment that "The Le Bordeaux is a classic that was made in limited numbers"? How many were actually made during its "limited production"? 500? 400? 200? Not so many are being listed on thEbay for sale, it's not common, that's what all I know.

This model has a twin, Le Black.

fpn_1344867894__leblack.png

What does this ad tell you? I've been wondering about "200 Black". Does it indicated only 200 were made? Anyone? Surely something to speculate in the absence of data from Sheaffer.

Ben

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

I'd suspect more along the lines of a model number; If there'd only been 200 made, we'd all be talking about them a LOT more than we do.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I'd suspect more along the lines of a model number; If there'd only been 200 made, we'd all be talking about them a LOT more than we do.

I have a Le Black courtesy of Spitzner, and it is minus the gold section ring, unlike the Le Bordeaux which has one.

So the mystery deepens.

But, I did find a number of references on the internet that referred to both of them as NN pens.

I just don't know, but I ain't taking the chance and I now own both.

Also....and by the way....

Since no one can come up definitive list of colors much less sub groups......etc.

For instance, I only learned of the Marbled, Vintage, Chased and the metal versions on FPN and scouring the internet.

Is it not possible that there are even more "types" out there?

That the common denominator is just size and shape?

Could it be that some evil genius at Sheaffer purposely did not create an accurate list, just so we would be having this conversation today.

PS There is a Le Black on eBay for $110

Edited by jd50ae

Also....and by the way....

Since no one can come up definitive list of colors much less sub groups......etc.

For instance, I only learned of the Marbled, Vintage, Chased and the metal versions on FPN and scouring the internet.

Is it not possible that there are even more "types" out there?

That the common denominator is just size and shape?

Could it be that some evil genius at Sheaffer purposely did not create an accurate list, just so we would be having this conversation today.

PS There is a Le Black on eBay for $110

Pen collecting is a relatively recent phenomenon; Sheaffer never even considered it in their sales and marketing efforts. Gary Ellison and I went through much the same exercise with Targas. When I started collecting them there was no master list, no way to know how many models, finishes, colors, etc. there were. Just the same situation that you are in today. It took Gary and myself about three years to put together a complete list for the Targas.

What seems to have happened is that Sheaffer introduced a few models when the Targa line began, then year by year more new models were introduced and older ones were discontinued. Sales catalogs only contained the models being sold that year. There was never a master list. Sometimes the factory in Fort Madison and a factory in another country would bring out new models in the same year and both factories would assign the same model number even though the two new models were completely different. Then, just to really mix things up, as production was closing down Sheaffer cleaned out their parts bins and shipped pens in configurations that were never cataloged at all, so we have pens with no model numbers and no documentation whatsoever. It didn't take any evil genius at all, just a complete lack of forethought and planning.

Gary and I finally made a list and Gary published it on his web site, www.sheaffertarga.com. It looks like you guys need to bite the bullet and do something similar for the NoNonsense line.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Pen collecting is a relatively recent phenomenon; Sheaffer never even considered it in their sales and marketing efforts. Gary Ellison and I went through much the same exercise with Targas. When I started collecting them there was no master list, no way to know how many models, finishes, colors, etc. there were. Just the same situation that you are in today. It took Gary and myself about three years to put together a complete list for the Targas.

What seems to have happened is that Sheaffer introduced a few models when the Targa line began, then year by year more new models were introduced and older ones were discontinued. Sales catalogs only contained the models being sold that year. There was never a master list. Sometimes the factory in Fort Madison and a factory in another country would bring out new models in the same year and both factories would assign the same model number even though the two new models were completely different. Then, just to really mix things up, as production was closing down Sheaffer cleaned out their parts bins and shipped pens in configurations that were never cataloged at all, so we have pens with no model numbers and no documentation whatsoever. It didn't take any evil genius at all, just a complete lack of forethought and planning.

Gary and I finally made a list and Gary published it on his web site, www.sheaffertarga.com. It looks like you guys need to bite the bullet and do something similar for the NoNonsense line.

Gary, in fact has added a new section in his excellent website. See: No Nonsense (Premium) Reference List. This mini guide to upscale No-Nonsense pens is by no means complete; it's still in the works. I have suggested to him to remove the Guys and Dolls from his list since technically they are NOT No Nonsense pens. He said he'll put them in a separate section. The following is Gary's groupings of these upscale models:

No-Nonsense Vintage

1. Red Marble

2. Green Marble

3. Blue Marble

4. Solid Black

Note: Levenger offered the same Red and Green Marbles together with a bottle of Levenger ink and called them Levenger Festive Fountain Pen Set.

Stainless Steel

1. Stainless Steel

2. Red Stainless Steel

3. Blue Stainless Steel

4. Yellow Stainless Steel

Old Timers

(Solid Colours)

1. Le Black

2. Le Bordeaux

(Chased Patterns)

3. Herringbone

4. Torsade (aka Flamme)

5. Diamond

6. Greek Key

7. Zig-zag

8. Checkerboard

Note: I have no qualms about Gary including the Le Black and Le Bordeaux together with the chased Old Timers. They are same in looks and physical dimensions as the rest except the absence of the engraved patterns (color also in the case of Le Bordeaux). The 6 chased Old Timers are known to exist. There might be more; TERI (Peyton Street Pens) recently alerted me of a new find which she described as having a "..cluster of around 8 very thin lines alternating with a plain panel; It has straight lines running the length." A prototype perhaps. I asked her how we shall call it--Old Timer Stripes? Let's wait for her to provide pictures of this interesting new find.

Ben

Thank you "sexauerw" and "Pincel".

Great reference and great photos.

I now know the difference between a "Le Black" and a "Vintage" Black.

Edited by jd50ae

• 4 months later...

FYI: A seller in Taiwan has all three of the marbled Vintage NNs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150971912284&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I finally got my blue one by buying it as a ballpoint and swapping a Vintage NN nib into it. Roundabout, but it works.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

FYI: A seller in Taiwan has all three of the marbled Vintage NNs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

I finally got my blue one by buying it as a ballpoint and swapping a Vintage NN nib into it. Roundabout, but it works.

...or treat yourself and fly business class. Swap your Vintage NN nib into this; but you have to hurry, there's only 5 left. It's a steal!

Ben R

Edited by Pincel

...or treat yourself and fly business class. Swap your Vintage NN nib into this; but you have to hurry, there's only 5 left. It's a steal!

Ben R

Really?! Wow -- I didn't know that those were compatible! Can't afford to do that now (I'm between semesters), but it's good to know.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11