Losing The Faith And Falling Back From Fountain Pens To Gel Ballpoints

cambridgecafe

Well, as much as I am a FP lover, I am also a lover of the pen working and convenience. I use clickable highlighters because they dry out on my desk. I use fountain pens in the office and keep an inkwell of water on my desk too. But, I did buy several pen stands that hold my fountain pens without allowing them to dry out. And I use liquid / cartridge rollerballs so I can still use my fountain pen inks.

Just because you use a fountain pen less often, don't give up and don't leave us. crybaby.gif

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cambridgecafe

• bicfan

• lovemy51

• mik86

So usually, I'm writing sporadically, in brief bursts, separated by long and unpredictable intervals. I write by hand not really to record a continuous stream of thoughts, but to leave my mind little breadcrumbs so that I can retrace my steps through some intellectual forest I just trekked. Pen and paper are never at the center of my desk. They are always off to the right of the document or book I am studying, or sitting in my backpack waiting for the next unexpected flash of insight or inspiration.

I'll repeat some of the other thoughts, especially the use of a desk dip(less) pen like an Esterbrook 444 for your desk (you might be surprised at how fun and easy these pen are), and a hooded nib like the Parker 51 for mobile use. Avoiding open nibs and screw caps would make a better tool for you.

As always the right tool for the job makes all the difference, and like it or not, a FP isn't always the right tool. Sometimes a ballpoint or a Sharpie has to get the job done. I've also gone through long periods of abandoning my real pens when they weren't suitable for what I was doing. The FP has a superior ink to paper experience, it also has inconveniences.

I love my FP at home or on the desk, but I rarely take one in my pocket anymore. More likely to have a rollerball (that looks like a FP) or a pencil. As mentioned already, you don't have to choose just one type. Switch around until you find balance.

PS The Pilot G2's are great.

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

It seems as if you know what you need to use to accomplish what you need to do, and that in itself is a considerable victory. So, use those G2's, now. But, please keep your FP's cause one of these days you will likely want to have them to write that long over due personal letter, or start that journal you have been wanting to write, or any of a zillion other things for which the FP's will excel.

Meantime, stick around and share-there is plenty of room at this inn.

Besides, wouldn't Cambridge Cafe be a great place for a pen posse!!!

I'd second the Parker 51 (or a Parker Super 21 for the budget minded).

I tend to use them at work for note-taking in meetings.

If not a 51, I'll use a Sheaffer Prelude or a Levenger Truewriter-- none of them seem to dry out easily.

Just a thought--sometimes I put away my pens entirely for note-taking and use good quality mechanical pencils instead--you don't have to worry about *them* drying out and they can be enjoyable to use as well.

If I weren't able to use a fountain pen, a premium gel pen like the Pilot G2 would be my next choice. Actually, my favorite gel pens were Zebras, but the Pilot was a pretty close second.

On the other hand, I don't see myself ever going back to those. I've found fountain pens that I'm entirely happy with.

Regarding the Vanishing Point.... I understand that TWSBI have something similar in the R&D department, so it'll be very interesting to see how that works out.

I use mainly ball pens and rollerballs at work. Purely for convenience. Fountain pens are reserved for signatures, quick notes and leisure. The Pilot G2 is one of my favourite pens too...reliable and the blue ink is quite lovely.

What size G-2 does the original poster like? Where I live, the 0.38 and 0.5 versions are considered fairly mediocre compared to the competition, but if you are looking at the larger sizes, I can't say for sure if there is a better gel option.

As with another poster, I have no issues at all with Capless Decimos. They are very well-made pens but their weight and girth make them much more like daily writers than the more gravitationally-significant Capless/VP. They're a bit spendy from many sources, but I never leave home without mine in my pocket, and I almost never feel like babying it as I tend to do with my other pens.

Personally, I come from the fine-end of the spectrum with the better Japanese gel pens, and it is hard to find a fountain pen that writes as well at the sizes I use. Given the price differential and the expectations, it is surprisingly hard for me to just abandon fountain pens. For now, I just admit that using a fountain pen is using a suboptimal tool, but it's a little bit more fun and the results are still not bad, even if gel pens perform better.

Robert.

You know? I find this funny. Why? G-2's were my launching point. I loved G-2's and I still do, but I find that FP's give me more of what I love. I'm glad that we're not restricted in our choice of writing instruments. I'm surprised though, since you have a Vanishing Point, without its cap, what was there left not to like, if that's what you like about G-2's is because they are capless?

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

You know? I find this funny. Why? G-2's were my launching point. I loved G-2's and I still do, but I find that FP's give me more of what I love. I'm glad that we're not restricted in our choice of writing instruments. I'm surprised though, since you have a Vanishing Point, without its cap, what was there left not to like, if that's what you like about G-2's is because they are capless?

In their original post, they said the Capless felt a bit too precious (or something similar) and they were not able to see the ink level conveniently.

Robert.

• 3 months later...

well, that's probably the case for me also. My writing instrument at the office should never dry out, should always be ready to write only a little between long time intervals, dont have the time to bother with cap/uncap, so it's no wonder i use (and the rest of my colleagues) Bic Cristal Medium, black or blue, which we are given for free, with lids long lost. That's the nature of my work. I once tried to use my many times refilled Pilot V-pen there but i almost lose it.

At home, well, its another world. Time paces slower, i have my loved FPs, i write on my journal, i have plenty of time to refill, cap/uncap. i usually use the Pilot V-pen, a Rotring Surf (the lighter and smoother of them all and my favorite), a Pilot Plumix and a Sheaffer. The writing experience is very different. Sure thing FPs made my handwriting better and more legible and it isn't lost even when using a Bic Cristal, tho its harder to keep up. FPs have changed the way i see writing and will never abandon them, even tho i dont use them for a long period of time.

i also have to mention that im also the practical guy and not the elegant one. Thats the reason i have never used a Parker Sonnet which was a gift to me and still is stored uninked :)

Edited by TomPen

Avoid regret. Clean and dry your fountain pens and store them in a safe place. When you decide to return they will be waiting for you. Do not do anything rash like immediately selling them.

Give your decision a reasonable time to test your resolve, and to determine if you really wish to quit fountain pens forever or if you only need a vacation. Only after mature consideration should you consider disposition of your fountain pens.

I think it's like the cup you'd use for drinking coffee. You can easily go with disposable and the convenience it entails, but there are few people who don't have real cups for use when they want to. There's no reason to never use them again. I've definitely appreciated retractable pens more after using fountain pens. Besides, you never know when you'll need the FP touch (while writing a note or card to someone).

- J

I keep a G2 with me as well, but I have the nice metal one and I buy the refills for it.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

Thank you for such supportive and friendly responses! I will miss this community.

You don't even have to leave the community! You still have a love for fine writing instruments and fountain pens; You just find them too inconvenient for every day use. You can still stay and share the love!

I too find FP's just too much of a hassle for use at work :(

Not only that, but I read here how good Parker Gel refills are, purchased some, and found these too, were not ideal :o

(I found that, by leaving them 'open' I used to end up with ink, smeared on the paperwork, all over me, too expensive, well again it was just too much hassle to deal with...I need something I can pick up, put down, leave unattended, yes, you've guessed it what I was already using....a BP :rolleyes:

I found a refill I was reasonably happy with, in a pen I could use all day, and not think it the end of the world if stolen (although I hate to lose anything!)

As Hari has already said:

IMO, writing is more important than the instrument used for it (this forum is about the instrument) so choose and go with whatever you find easy and convienient and hassle free. Good luck!

I enjoy my FP's when writing to friends, for notes to myself, and generally as a 'hobby' when I feel like it, I enjoy coming here, and posting/helping when I can....I enjoy the discussion about stationery, and notebooks, and inks, and various pens, FP's BP's Rb's Et Al.....I probably spend more time here than I do with my fountain pens :embarrassed_smile:

Clean and store your FP's, and feel free to use your Gels....feel free to come here and discuss them, or look for latest notebook ideas etc...this is not 'just' a place for FP's despite what the title and some will say...there is so much more to enjoy...when and if you want to :thumbup:

Edited by 51ISH

You can get the advantages of both worlds, I use a pilot precise v7 fine point rollerball or rolling

ball ( as it said in the pen), refilled and refilled with Sheaffers Skrip black.

The Pilot Hi Tec C refills are the nicest non FP options I've ever used

Such precise, smooth flowing lines with great color options

Ran a bunch of refills down to nothing and no skipping to the end

I have nothing real constructive to add except a +1 to the many others that suggest don't abandon them totally. I went all in about a year ago banishing all non-FP's from my desk. I have continued to acquire a small collection of FPs that I really enjoy writing with but at the times when a quick note jot is required or work out in the field I once again reach for a good RB. Doesn't diminish my joy one bit of hanging out here on FPN and a good journal entry every once in a while with one of my favorite fountain pens.

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

Well...shall we bring out the stake or the noose for this heresy? :angry:

Nah, it's all about what fits us the best, not what fits others. Hope you enjoy writing with ballpoints. *shutters* ;) Keep the pens though. Definitely. I wouldn't sell mine because the moment I did, I'd want to use the one I sold. You don't know what you have till you've lost it.

Cheers,

Tyler

• 1 month later...

I personally enjoy using ballpoints, fountains, and rollerballs. I switch up between them every now and then. There's no rule that you have to stick to one kind of pen. I use my fountain pens a lot when I'm at home (sometimes outside the home), and rollerballs and ballpoints other times. Right now in my two pen cups, I have about 40 rollerball and ballpoint pens (Waterman, Cross, and other names), and in my other cup I have about a dozen fountain pens filled with ink. In my bookbag, I have only 1 fountain pen and a bunch of ballpoint and rollerball pens (mostly disposables with two or three luxury ones). I switch up between the pens so much that some of my pens seem to never run out of ink...but that's only because I might use it for a few pages of writing now, and then when I return to work later, I use another pen, etc. etc. If you personally dislike using fountain pens the way I dislike using pencils and porous points, then no biggie. The purpose of rollerballs and gels is to make that bridge for you between fountains and ballpoints. I enjoy my Pilot G2's, and often use their refills in my luxury rollerballs.

As Vrgelinas said, you dont have to leave the community. While these forums are aimed at fountain pens mainly, I imagine that many of us use other writing instruments as well depending on the situation or even mood. To give you an example, I consider myself mainly a fountain pen user, but just today alone I used a porous pen (Pilot VPoint Razor), a pencil (just an hour or so ago, Uniball Kuru Toga), a fountain pen (Parker 45), and a roller (Cross Edge)....all in one day in different places and for different things. Oh, and I used a ballpoint pen (a Zebra pen made of metal) in lab for a few hours. Many of us are pen lovers in general and may simply favor fountains, or some of us may not favor fountains but find ourselves using them often. Stick around!

Edited by tonydent84

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I'm curious now: Does anyone know if there are other forums like those focusing on luxury pens in general or on rollerballs, etc.?

What I love about FPN is that although it's aimed at fountain pens, it allows for those of us who love other types of pens to talk about those without breaking forum rules lol. That, and the fact that I've never been on a forum that had such wonderful and helpful people as FPNers.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.