Losing The Faith And Falling Back From Fountain Pens To Gel Ballpoints

cambridgecafe

I started out with rollerball pens since I thought fountain pens would be too hard/messy to deal with. My rollerballs now sit in a pen holder. Using a fp is just too nice an experience for me even if I do have to cap now and again. Just not an issue for me personally. As others mentioned, try a hooded pen and you can have the best of both worlds.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cambridgecafe

• bicfan

• 51ISH

• mik86

The Pilot G2 is a great pen. I use G2s, fountain pens, pencils and even Sharpies regularly. Whichever tool is right for the job. Though somehow for me only the fountain pen makes writing fun.

If you keep a fountain pen or two, you could find yourself picking them up again in the future.

I prefer to use MY pen (Lamy Vista) rather than what's laying around. But I got no qualms using whatever is handed to me either, e.g. credit card receipts. Ballpoints that are in use are generally trouble free. I also think the G2s are darker than Heart of Darkness. Oh well.

That leads to my question: have you experimented with different inks? Some dry faster than others. For example, my bottle of Lamy Blue-Black was terribly dry, my MontBlanc Midnight Blue nice and wet.

G2s are great pens, and now have a wide range of colours.

Oddball sugestion for a change; one of the new generation of non-capped, retractable, rolleballs? E.g. the Lamy Swift, for something with style, though it's a bit fat for some hands? Or Lamy Tipo, or Pilot RT?

I got on a fountain pen kick a year and a half ago. I bought about 8 Lamys, Safaris, Al-stars, and Accents. I also got a Namiki Vanishing Point. I got converters and cartridges. I wrote a lot with these pens in my notebooks.

I did enjoy the physical act of writing with these pens. The friction of the wet nib against the paper felt just right. It made writing into a refined aesthetic experience, somewhat like a tea connoisseur appreciating the tea she is drinking.

But there was one practical inconvenience that I couldn't dismiss in the long run. I found myself uncapping and capping my pens a lot, just to keep the nib from going dry. So while the physical act of writing was better with these pens, the whole process of thinking and writing was also more interrupted. I bought the Namiki (Pilot) Vanishing Point to try to solve this problem. But with the Vanishing Point, I could never tell how much ink I had left, and the whole device felt too "fancy" for me, which was why I gravitated toward the cheaper Lamys in the first place.

A week ago, I decided to end my 15 month affair with fountain pens and go back to writing with the Pilot G2s. The writing action is not as subtle and pleasurable, but it is more direct and more straightforward. I grew to appreciate that choosing a writing instrument is like choosing a car. Some people want a luxurious ride; others just prefer something acceptable, but above all simple and low-maintenance, that gets you from point A to point B. I discovered, gradually, that I'm the second kind of person.

I've never had much trouble with nibs drying out (you should probably try a wetter pen), but you're making it even harder to resist getting a VP. (I like the large capless body, and the clicky is just for kicks.)

Also. I use fountain pens because they write more reliably. I prefer to avoid luxury most of the time and the extra maintenance is a secondary concern. Performance is everything. In this analogy I would drive a race car (stripped interior, stiff suspension, way too much power). I want that line wet and I want it now.

Everybody's different I guess.

Edited by Joshua J.

Thank you for such supportive and friendly responses! I will miss this community.

You don't even have to leave the community! You still have a love for fine writing instruments and fountain pens; You just find them too inconvenient for every day use. You can still stay and share the love!

+1. You may not be a regular or frequent user of fountain pens but an appreciation of the writing experience suggests you should stay.

I don't use a fountain pen all the time, for work I use whatever I can get free. However at home I really like my fountain pens. No reason why there can't be room in your life for both.

Edited by FLYBYU

Those who go through life scared of everything arrive safely at death's door...

I'll second the idea that it's not an either/or dichotomy. I love my fountain pens, but there are times when I reach for a Pilot Precise V5 roller ball or a ballpoint. It depends on the situation.

OH MY GOSH...

A NEW NICHE MARKET DISCOVERED!

A clicky transparent FP! At least with an ink window. Speedy? I know what you are experimenting with... TWSBI Click

Not the most elegant, but I would buy one if it worked well. I like demonstrators anyways.

I got on a fountain pen kick a year and a half ago. I bought about 8 Lamys, Safaris, Al-stars, and Accents. I also got a Namiki Vanishing Point. I got converters and cartridges. I wrote a lot with these pens in my notebooks.

I did enjoy the physical act of writing with these pens. The friction of the wet nib against the paper felt just right. It made writing into a refined aesthetic experience, somewhat like a tea connoisseur appreciating the tea she is drinking.

But there was one practical inconvenience that I couldn't dismiss in the long run. I found myself uncapping and capping my pens a lot, just to keep the nib from going dry. So while the physical act of writing was better with these pens, the whole process of thinking and writing was also more interrupted. I bought the Namiki (Pilot) Vanishing Point to try to solve this problem. But with the Vanishing Point, I could never tell how much ink I had left, and the whole device felt too "fancy" for me, which was why I gravitated toward the cheaper Lamys in the first place.

A week ago, I decided to end my 15 month affair with fountain pens and go back to writing with the Pilot G2s. The writing action is not as subtle and pleasurable, but it is more direct and more straightforward. I grew to appreciate that choosing a writing instrument is like choosing a car. Some people want a luxurious ride; others just prefer something acceptable, but above all simple and low-maintenance, that gets you from point A to point B. I discovered, gradually, that I'm the second kind of person.

I share your concerns but don't mind those issues as much... yet. Maybe TWSBI or VP will release a clicky FP with a window or transparent. Would that make you regain your faith?

Ever try a Parker 51? Nibs don't dry out much, and they have a slip cap, so no turns if you do put it away. On the other hand, they look and feel like a ballpoint in the hand, so I don't use mine much.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone! The feedback has been outstanding. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I use pens and notebooks for two things. (1) to note down an idea or a thought that hits me that I want to remember later. And (2) to make selective notes about material that I am reading.

So usually, I'm writing sporadically, in brief bursts, separated by long and unpredictable intervals. I write by hand not really to record a continuous stream of thoughts, but to leave my mind little breadcrumbs so that I can retrace my steps through some intellectual forest I just trekked. Pen and paper are never at the center of my desk. They are always off to the right of the document or book I am studying, or sitting in my backpack waiting for the next unexpected flash of insight or inspiration.

Maybe that will clarify for some people why I decided to go back exclusively to gel pens. My pen has to spend most of its time not actually writing, but primed to write. I think writing as "breadcrumb-laying" is probably what made capping and uncapping the fountain pen more of an obstacle for me.

Edited by cambridgecafe

Thanks for the comments everyone! The feedback has been outstanding. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I use pens and notebooks for two things. (1) to note down an idea or a thought that hits me that I want to remember later. And (2) to make selective notes about material that I am reading.

So usually, I'm writing sporadically, in brief bursts, separated by long and unpredictable intervals. I write by hand not really to record a continuous stream of thoughts, but to leave my mind little breadcrumbs so that I can retrace my steps through some intellectual forest I just trekked. Pen and paper are never at the center of my desk. They are always off to the right of the document or book I am studying, or sitting in my backpack waiting for the next unexpected flash of insight or inspiration.

Maybe that will clarify for some people why I decided to go back exclusively to gel pens. My pen has to spend most of its time not actually writing, but primed to write. I think writing as "breadcrumb-laying" is probably what made capping and uncapping the fountain pen more of an obstacle for me.

I definitely think that a Bic is what you want. They always write the first time, every time.

I definitely think that a Bic is what you want. They always write the first time, every time.

The Bics look good, but are there any that are retractable?

IMO, writing is more important than the instrument used for it (this forum is about the instrument) so choose and go with whatever you find easy and convienient and hassle free. Good luck!

Wise words. I concur. Best of luck in everything, enjoy every moment.

Oh, man, you bet. The Bic Clic Stic is a very smooth retractable mechanism. Box of 12 for a few bucks. Will last you forever. Make sure to get the one's that say, Easy Glide.

Edited by bicfan

Oh, man, you bet. The Bic Clic Stic is a very smooth retractable mechanism. Box of 12 for a few bucks. Will last you forever. Make sure to get the one's that say, Easy Glide.

Thanks, I'll try some!

It is for this reason I have a parker 51 on my desk as well. I quite

often answer phone and jog things down for 1 or 2 minutes.

The parker doesnt dry put even left for 20 minutes. starts up every time.