The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum #3776 Celluloid Red (Goldfish)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:34

Here are Platinum's Red Celluloid pens. One is the octagonal celluloid kingyo (goldfish) and the other is the regular #3776 celluloid kingyo (goldfish).

The octagonal celluloid Kingyo.
The package is the same as the regular #3776 Celluloid, except the outer carton is printed with the celluloid pattern. The normal package is the cream colored cardboard case.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The octagonal pen is very easy to hold in my hand and the overall design including the cap band is more elaborate than the regular #3776 celluloid, which is a smooth torpedo design. Both the octagonal and the regular kingyos seem to have the similar red and white patterns. The thread is made of metal, rather than engraved into the celluloid body.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The regular #3776 Celluloid is very beautiful to look at and like my other Platinum celluloids, this is a great writer.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are the side to side comparsions of both models. The octagonal one is heavier than the regular one. I think the most of the weight difference could be the cap.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are the rest of Platinum celluloids so far.
Posted Image
There are some good contrasts between the kingyo (goldfish) and the ishigaki (marble) models. Both of my kingyo pens have passed my initial dip test with WM Florida Blue. I am amazed at the consistency of Platinum's QC so far.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:07

Thanks for documenting the octagonal model. I have been intereted in one for some time. I already have the nakaya Koi. In your opinion, do you think the octagon is worth the price premium over the regular 3776 celluloid?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:34

Thank you for introducing a pen I was not familiar with.

The side-by-side comparison makes it appear that the faceted pen is perhaps 1/2 inch longer: is that right?

The octagonal pen appears to have metal threads on the section. Are the cap threads metal as well?

I'll look around to see where this is available. A Calico/Stone celluloid would be very tempting,

gary

#4 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:40

Thank you for introducing a pen I was not familiar with.

The side-by-side comparison makes it appear that the faceted pen is perhaps 1/2 inch longer: is that right?

The octagonal pen appears to have metal threads on the section. Are the cap threads metal as well?

I'll look around to see where this is available. A Calico/Stone celluloid would be very tempting,

gary

Yes, the octagonal is slightly longer than the normal.
Yes, the threads on the cap are also metal. The threads are the inner side of the cap band.

Thanks for documenting the octagonal model. I have been intereted in one for some time. I already have the nakaya Koi. In your opinion, do you think the octagon is worth the price premium over the regular 3776 celluloid?

I see the octagonal one is made more elaborately than the regular #3776 celluloid. I think the main reason for a higher price than the regular #3776 is due to how Platinum produces celluloid pens (ie. more work to make the octagonal than the regular one).

Edited by Pen2009, 16 April 2012 - 19:44.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#5 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:43

Beautiful pens! Thank you for the great photo array.

#6 Think-Ink

Think-Ink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:47

Gorgeous pens! I wanted a koi pen but settled for black since it was too pricey. But I'm living vicariously through you! Enjoy! :clap1:
thINK: my pen & paper blog :)

#7 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:51

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I was not aware of the octagonal version.

#8 Nic13

Nic13

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 22:04

Thank you for the wonderful photos :thumbup:

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 16:50

Thanks for the nice comparison.

#10 terminal

terminal

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 17:21

Yeah the comparison photos are especially interesting! Thanks!

From where did you order it?
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:28

very nice pens thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#12 nounia

nounia

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:01

These pens are so cute but they are so small!
I've just received a koi mechanical pencil, I feel like it looks like a toy or a doll pen.
I am pretty sure that my 5 Years daughter is going to think it's for her.
I can hardly write with it because it is really not large. I am amazed that men can write easily with these.
I wanted to buy the roller ball too and the fountain pen.
I think I will have difficulty in holding the roller ball. I am going to practice with my mechanical pencil.
I love them so much, I need to have them!
I want the sakura celluloid too!!!
I prefer the lenght and the cap of the koi octogonal fountain pen but I don't like the fact that it is octogonal.
I told my husband to sell his Mozart roller ball because it's so small ("like a toy" I said) and I've just bought this tiny thing. Funny...

Edited by nounia, 08 April 2013 - 20:02.

#13 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:24

These pens are so cute but they are so small!

Platinum's celluloid models are indeed smaller than other #3776 pens. I use many full sized pens and can still use these pens comfortably. Even though the celluloid pens are rather light (the Koi model has a metal parts; so, it is a little heavier than the rest of the celluloid models), the nib/feed is very well tuned to lay down wet line by just gliding the pen with my writing hand.

Posted Image

#14 MFlick819

MFlick819

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2015 - 18:52

Beautiful pens! Couldn't stand looking at the pictures. I have one on the way! Will look great next to my koi pond!

@inkywrist

www.inkywrist.com

Sponsored Content

|