Coronet turns out to be a Christmas pen

Wahlnut

Remember back on 12/15 when I posted the photo essay on the restoration of the Coronet? Coronet Restoration

Well it turns out the pen was a Christmas gift with special meaning for one family. To quote the person arranging for the repair:

"We are planning to give our son that pen for Christmas while in NY. Our

entire family will be gathering for the holiday... It is the only remaining article I have

of my father's to give to our only son."

It went out in time to get under the tree, so this morning I have visions of the unwrapping of the pen, with everyone in their jammies and robes and the special glow in the eyes of the giver and the recipient. Bringing a pen back to life is rewarding in itself. Doing so to help a family realize a special generation to generation moment...priceless.

Wishing Happy Holidays to all and a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous 2007!

Syd the Wahlnut

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Kelly G

Top Posters In This Topic

Syd,

You are so right about those special moments when pens pass from generation to generation. Early in my pen collecting days, my father gave me my grandfather's Sheaffer Sentinel set that he carried every day and his Sentinel set that he received as a HS graduation gift from his dad - the same grandfather. Both were Christmas gifts and it was a special moment. My grandfather had been gone for 35 years and my father has since passed on, so the gift of those pens has taken on even more importance for me.

When my granddaughter was born nearly two years ago, I was carrying a blue standard Vacumatic in my pocket and she was coincidentally named Parker Michelle - I'll be giving that pen to her when she is older!

This is one of the really fun parts of pen collecting - passing pens along and imagining how many of the vintage pens in the collection were perhaps passed along at some point in their life.

kg

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files