Serwex 362

comfortableshoes

I snagged a few new pens during FPR’s recent 50% off sale on Serwex pens. The first that I’m reviewing is the 362.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/6935512660_64a81e89a4.jpg

Serwex 362 by lessherger, on Flickr

It has a chrome cap with a brass clip that has a unique design of curved metal. The clip is springy and feels quite sturdy. It clips to the pen loop of my journal securely. There are small facets cut into the cap that add a little shininess to the cap that I like quite a bit. The cap is the majority of weight of this pen. It can be posted but feels to me as if it is off balance when posted. I don’t normally posts my caps so you may feel differently. The cap screws on securely with 1.5 full rotations

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5328/6935512014_caf6b878fc.jpg

The plastic of the pen does not have a high gloss but has a satin finish. The piston knob blends quite smoothly with the body of the pen. At first when I first unwrapped it I was worried I’d ordered another eyedropper fill. The piston was quite stiff at first but I found quickly loosened up after moving it a few times. It holds 1 ml of ink. There are several ink windows around the pen just above the section.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6935514256_832173857b.jpg

The nib was slightly scratchy at first but I looked at it under magnification (iPod touch w/ macro lens) and aligned the tines and then gave it a quick smooth on a nail buffing stick. Perfection. It writes with good flow and is nice and smooth. I was surprised that it was so smooth with so little work. The nib is what I would call a fine. It’s not what I would call a wet writer but it’s not dry either. I also have it inked with Noodler’s Black which tends to have great flow.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6935515346_3fae3493f0.jpg

The pen is very slim, about BIC stick size, so for me it’s not the most comfortable pen to hold and use. But I have found myself reaching for it continually since it arrived.

I think it is a great pen for sketching or writing.

Edited by comfortableshoes

Seriously, have you checked Etsy.com yet?

Check out my blog ComfortableShoesStudio.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robofkent

• Seele

• Scribble Monboddo

• Jamerelbe

Nice pen. Thanks for the review. I was wondering how these perform. I looked at this pen before ultimately ordering a 1362.

I just have to jump into the conversation. I recently ordered four pens from Fountain Pen Revolution. The one I am using is the Serwex 362. I did zero nib adjustment and I must admit this is the smoothest nib in my collection. Almost glassy smoothness. That's good and bad, however. My other favorite pens have a little feedback, so when I switch to the Serwex, I'm getting no feedback...just silk. I've got Noodler's Blue in my pen and like the reviewer, I keep going back to the Serwex as my go to pen. I like the narrow width of the grip area - it's about 8mm right at the bottom where I prefer to grip. I've got a ton of German, Chinese and USA pens in my collection and I've just started adding Indian pens. I hate to admit this, but I now exclusively use my Indian pens. The Serwex is a great example of an inexpensive manufactured pen, but you've also got to try out the hand-made pens from India. These pens just seem to have a different soul about them. Hard to explain.

I hate to admit this, but I now exclusively use my Indian pens. The Serwex is a great example of an inexpensive manufactured pen, but you've also got to try out the hand-made pens from India. These pens just seem to have a different soul about them. Hard to explain.

Welcome to the club!

I have few Serwex pens. They are surprisingly good!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

• 6 months later...

I have a red 362 and it has become my main workhorse pen.

I've just ordered another 3 in different colours and interestingly they have a slightly toned down in style pocket clip.

Edited by robofkent

• 1 year later...

I ordered a couple of "Gurus" from FPR (the pens, not the enlightened masters!), and received two complimentary Serwex 362s thrown in. I have to confess, I haven't had a great experience with Serwex nibs 'out of the box' - I find them far too scratchy. But a bit of tine adjustment, and some micromesh, and you're ready to go - or just order one (or several) of FPR's nibs to to replace the one that came with the pen, I'm easy either way! For the price, though, I have to say, these pens are little beauties: they look good, sit well in the hand (posted or unposted in my experience)... and what's not to love about a piston filler? Thanks for posting this review - this little pen deserves attention!

I have an example of this too, and having been a designer I actually find a few issues.

1. While it is a piston filler where the piston mechanism is clutchless (think Chelpark Maverick/Noodler's Nib Creaper) the front end of the barrel has a small "mesh grille", ostensibly for the prevention of the feed from getting pushed in too far. This also means I cannot feed in a stick of some sort for the removal of the piston assembly, which was an issue I have with the 162, forerunner of the Guru.

2. The green-tinted ink window is a separate injection moulding, and it's put into the main body mould when the injection moulding process is repeated, thus encasing it in the barrel. However, size discrepancy made it possible for the ink window moulding not to be locked in position perfectly, so some of the windows on my example got partially covered by the barrel plastics material.

3. The tip of the feed is not in intimate contact with the underside of the nib; when looking at it in profile, the tip of the feed actually bends away from the nib over a distance of about a millimetre. I tried to bend it back by heating it first, but was not successful. The last two issues are unique to individual samples though, and about to be expected from a pen designed to be produced in vast quantities and sold at a sensible price. I have pens many times more expensive having much worse issues.

That said:

It's a great pen and works very well; I can recommend it.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.