What Is The One Pen You Grab For A Big Adventure ..bottle Ink.....what Do You Pack And Why?

Mags

Picking one pen can be done?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. The ultimate fountain pen is made by:

• Mont Blanc
    • Sailor
    • Shaeffer
    • Parker
    • Pelikan
    • Aurora
    • Monte Verde
    • Hero
    • TWSBI
    • Faber Castel
    • Definitely other as I explain in my post below.

For me there are many fountain pens around and the pressure of aircraft and humid and cold climates all lend themselves to special pens.....But the M200 by Pelikan with good old waterman ink should do it. The pen has a replaceable nib and the ink reservoir and mechanics are both large and proven . The cap screws tight for aircraft pressure assistance and the demonstrator version allows quick inspection of ink left and any problems. Nib would have to be medium!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• txomsy

• ParkerDuofold

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I am flying or travelling for very long, I just take a rollerball. Travel is hard enough without worrying about ink and such.

I'll take a P51 or one of my Pilot C/C pens and leave the expensive pens at home just in case of theft/Homeland Security interest/etc.

For an adventure - definitely no fountain pen. I've been on 6 continents so far and I never had the need for a fountain pen. I rather take lightweight, easy replacable, able-to-be-tossed-around, no-worry-if-broken-or-given-away, cheap ballpoints or pencils, who don't care if you sit on, shake them like crazy on bumpy rides or soak them in salty sea water. On regular travels I take just any fountain pen, doesn't matter.

Greetings,

Michael

I always travel with a Montblanc 149 and a bottle of ink {in a Nalgene bottle} --usaully in my carry on bag or shirt pocket--Never had any problems. Once there was a little bit of extra in on the section--wiped with a tissue--done. I get that from carring pens in my bag all the time--so for it to happen on a plane was no biggie.

I would also pack my Nakaya Neo-standard and some Platinum Carbon Black ink cartridges. I always pack a cart. pen as back up!---just in case.

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

i am enjoying reading everyones ideas. Keep them coming!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I think the term "adventure" can be relative (I've had relatively short hops transform into bigger adventures than heading halfway 'round the globe). I did, in fact, purchase my matte-black Vanishing Point just before a trip from NYC to Seattle last year. No issues whatsoever. I'd expect the same from my 823 (and probably the 74). Ink? Probably the small-size bottle of Pilot blue-black. Not too concerned about traveling with a pen that pricey - the camera kit I almost always travel with costs a lot more.

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

I agree adventure is relative. My own experience with rollarballs on aircraft is all horrible especially with my MBgrand rollerball.

Sheaffer Imperal IV touchdown. Compact and bulletproof. An adventure would be short enough to last on one filling.

I have found that when I go on a few day trip and head out on my vstrom I normally include my moleskine journal for my bike with repair information, restaurants I liked and even mundane details like gas mileage and the weather on the ride. I always carry a simple Fisher Space pen so rain or freezing temperatures if I need the pen it works. I also like my Retro 51 Abbodanza because it is a fountain pen which takes cartridges and due to a slick little adapter that lets the fountain pen nib swap with a new end it takes a roller ball. The little saying on the retro 51 card is worth sharing, " Life is too short to carry an ugly pen".

I do also have a Monte Verde roller ball that fills with fountain pen ink and pretty much the same way with a converter that draws the ink up.

I will have to post pictures of the pens at a future time if there is any interest in seeing them.

The Monteverde Mega Ink Ball MV34500 is the one I have....I never remember it has a model number. and of course the box set looks like.post-78569-0-01484500-1334610391.jpg

Edited by maguirer

First of all, I am 60-years-old, and adventures mean

dinner gets cold. That said, I would grab a Parker

45. It is durable, reliable, and has a pretty clip.

I have a dozen in my collection, so perishing in a

firery airplane or being eaten by a gizzle will not

result in loss of an important pen. ;)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My Lamy 2000, with Waterman South Sea Blue in it! Discreet, so roaming monsters in the dark won't notice the light reflected off its nib; and nearly unbreakable, so monsters chomping on my backpack will poop my pen intact. What's even better: the Waterman South Sea Blue will colour its poop bright teal, so I can find my pen among all the monster poop around!

That's before starving to death, but I'd sworn that you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :thumbup:

-Paul

Ha, when I saw "adventure," I assumed you meant the rugged backwoods trekking variety! Well, I am currently travelling in a less rugged fashion with a Lamy 99 and a vial of ink. No flight leaks, just a bit of extra ink around the nib that was easily wiped off.

I am a new Lamy user and they are smooth writers. Cracking barrels worry me. Mine cracked the first week. No idea how I did it either.

The Monteverde Mega Ink Ball MV34500 is the one I have....I never remember it has a model number. and of course the box set looks like.post-78569-0-01484500-1334610391.jpg

My mega ball is so disappointing. bawl.gif

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Rotring 600, nalgene bottle. The 600 is bulletproof, and while I'm not a huge C/C fan they are robust and don't spit up on a plane or when jostled -- I even managed to find one with a nib I like, a slightly stubbish bold :)

Cheers, Ted

Usual travelling kit: Kaweco Sport and a couple of pencils (Rotring Esprit 0.7mm, Faber Castell kiddie propelling 1.4mm), spare leads. All in their leather cigar case in my thigh pocket. Plus, according to mood, Noodler's BSER or Black in a Nalgene bottle. Knowing me I'd find a stray Jinhao or FC schoolpen in a pocket after I'd left the house... :rolleyes:

Probably a Kaweco Sport and some spare cartridges in a Visconti tube.

http://www.sequoiaventures.com/iPenStore/Visconti/RefillsAccessories/ViscontiInkBlue250.jpg