Writing Speed?

sirShiggy

GClef: developing speed from form sounds right to me.

I am still very much working on my handwriting, but I feel that posture, grip and motion are the basic elements to get right first. Even if one isn't going to write in Palmer or Business Writing, I think that the exercises offered by EC Mills (check out the IAMPETH website) really help to achieve relaxed, sustainable movement.

A writing method using mostly finger movement may initially offer more control over the nib, but I believe it will be difficult to use this for longer periods and to achieve a fluid style. That seems to have been my major problem last year and now I focus on posture, a relaxed grip and whole arm movement. Precision has deteriorated, but sustainability has increased.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirShiggy

• GClef

• caliken

• whitelily

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-3030-1334678511129.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-44691-1334679063226.jpg

How pretty! Is that "gold" ink for a dip pen? (Not sure what that sort of ink is called)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-28901-1334682846899.jpg

I would write this out but I don't have time, writing big is hard. Not physically, but it has shown me a lot of my problems. I do write with my arm, but I do use my fingers a bit too, I found I don't really think before I write, so I get a lot of mistakes, probably because I've been changing my handwriting up a bit too, also, my letters, particularly the newly changed ones, aren't always consistant, particularly my vowels, but some letters, like t and h are generally pretty good.

It takes me 30 seconds to write "A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in cursive, but in my defense I only started learning cursive writing about two months ago...

So is italic the way to go, being close to my normal hand?

This example was written in 2 minutes by calligrapher Tom Gourdie, to show how Italic hold up well when written at speed.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Gourd337.jpg

Edited by caliken

You could make a start with the free "Chancery Italic Script Instructions " by Ann Finley at the top of this forum.

Ken

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-2952-1334786862393.jpg

post-84824-0-83464700-1335004024.jpg

Sorry for the headaches :)

! I just noticed how throughout this whole thing, I slowly move 2 squares to the right, so that

everything looks slanted!

I grew up at a time when corrrespondence was an important means of communication. In fact around 98% of the mail delivered by Postmen were personal letters, junk mail was non existent.

A lot of letters I received were never written in a disciplined hand, except by ones who thought correct handwriting discipline was more important than conveying their feelings. One problem I feel in handwriting is the necessity of concentration to write in a given script. I have tried this in starting to write a letter until I get a flow of ideas and no longer become conscious of pen ink and paper. When I read back what I've written, I find the opening paragraph is Vere Foster, which I was taught, but when my thoughts started to flow so did pen and ink, but not in the way I originally intended.

Therefore when one is using a given script, it needs to be used if one is either copying a text, or wishing to make it decorative. Reading a collection of letters written in the 19th century by men and women shows in a number of cases that writing discipline was not the norm. In fact some letters need concentration in deciphering a lot of the words!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

That's an interesting point. I've noticed something similar. When I'm trying to keep good penmanship I have to write slowly as I'm concentrating on two things, penmanship and content. If for any reason I speed up, maybe time pressure or I get in the flow of thought, my penmanship goes down hill.

I would like to be able to write faster and hope that with time, I'll be able to write faster with better penmanship. However, deep down I don't think that that's going to happen.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

www.flickr.com/photos/79399002@N04/7107134591/in/photostream

oops! how do I post this as a photo? I've been uploading straight to the board until now!

Edited by sirShiggy