The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fountain Pen Sac Size Guide For Repairers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:37

In response to a dearth of requests, I have just created a Fountain Pen Sac Size Guide for Repairers.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 kirchh

kirchh

Terrier

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:45

Not sure you really mean "dearth"...
--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#3 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:53

Thanks Richard

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:54

Not that sac size is an absolute.....

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 viclip

viclip

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:54

Yet another great resource on your terrific site, provided for all to benefit from...thx!

#6 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:20

Would It be possible to include a table of sac dimensions for those of us who are into tinkering?
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

#7 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:28

Dave Guard (banjo player and resident humorist for the Kingston Trio) once remarked during a concert at the Hungry I that the Trio would play the next tune in response to a diminishing number of requests. I always liked Guard.
Posted Image

#8 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:35

Would It be possible to include a table of sac dimensions for those of us who are into tinkering?

Please be more specific — I don't understand what you're asking for.
Posted Image

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• 3,806 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:36

Richard!

Thanks for the resource - as timing would have it, I'm gearing up to do my first re-sacs. 3 are very straight-forward (Estie J/SJ), but one is a Sheaffer Touchdown Tuckaway. I believe it to be a #17 sac, the info of which I seem to recall I got on David Nishimura's site. I don't see it in your Sheaffer table - do you concur with that sac size?

Cheers,
Jon

Edited by JonSzanto, 13 April 2012 - 20:37.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#10 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:39

Please be more specific — I don't understand what you're asking for.

I wanted to stick a sac over the mating end of a halved Sailor cartridge to increase ink capacity, and I wasn't sure of what size sac I'd need.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

#11 kirchh

kirchh

Terrier

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 21:04

Dave Guard (banjo player and resident humorist for the Kingston Trio) once remarked during a concert at the Hungry I that the Trio would play the next tune in response to a diminishing number of requests. I always liked Guard.

From the responses so far, it seems reports of its dearth have been greatly exaggerated...

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh, 13 April 2012 - 21:04.

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#12 fhhcpen

fhhcpen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 21:10

What is the sac size number for short pens like Waterman 452 1/2? Is it the same as 45 1/2 and trim it?

#13 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 21:30

… one is a Sheaffer Touchdown Tuckaway. I believe it to be a #17 sac, the info of which I seem to recall I got on David Nishimura's site. I don't see it in your Sheaffer table - do you concur with that sac size?

It should be a 171/2x17/16 N. Since that size isn't available, you can use a 17. But a better choice would be a 171/2x111/16 N, cut to length. It won't be necked, but it will still hold if shellacked properly. The advantage of using the slightly larger diameter is that the pen won't hork up so much ink when you pull the plunger out because the sac won't have as much room to expand under the partial vacuum. All this technical stuff — fun, huh? :)
Posted Image

#14 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 21:35

What is the sac size number for short pens like Waterman 452 1/2? Is it the same as 45 1/2 and trim it?

The 4521/2 is a full-length pen, not a short pen. It has the same internal diameter as the 521/2, and it uses the same sac. (The 4 in its number refers to the sterling overlay, and that goes on over a standard-size barrel.) The 4521/2V is the short version, and it uses the same sac. As for trimming, all straight sacs need to be trimmed to fit the pen; there are instructions here. And there is an explanation of Waterman's Standard Numbering System here.

Edited by Richard, 13 April 2012 - 21:37.

Posted Image

#15 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• 3,806 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 22:26

It should be a 171/2x17/16 N. Since that size isn't available, you can use a 17. But a better choice would be a 171/2x111/16 N, cut to length. It won't be necked, but it will still hold if shellacked properly. The advantage of using the slightly larger diameter is that the pen won't hork up so much ink when you pull the plunger out because the sac won't have as much room to expand under the partial vacuum.

Xlnt, just the kind of stuff I needed to know.

All this technical stuff — fun, huh? :)

Well, basically... yikes! Except that I'm drawing the line at the re-sacing - anything beyond this goes to a professional,
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#16 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:39

I wanted to stick a sac over the mating end of a halved Sailor cartridge to increase ink capacity, and I wasn't sure of what size sac I'd need.

The dimension you need is simply the outside diameter. It's the sac number times 1/64". Thus, a Nº 16 sac is 16/64" in diameter. That's 1/4", or 6.35 mm. For your purposes, the stretch in putting this sac over a 1/4" tube would do the job nicely. Adjust the sac size to the diameter you need.
Posted Image

#17 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:00

Nice resource Richard, thank you.:thumbup:

#18 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:03

Could Conway Stewart be added to the list at some point please? I have a couple of 58's and aren't sure of their sac size.

#19 puss in pens

puss in pens

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Location:Waterlooville or as my friends say mostly on the planet.
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:22

Just can't help myself...

sack size isn't eveything :headsmack:

Puss

#20 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:22

The dimension you need is simply the outside diameter. It's the sac number times 1/64". Thus, a Nº 16 sac is 16/64" in diameter. That's 1/4", or 6.35 mm. For your purposes, the stretch in putting this sac over a 1/4" tube would do the job nicely. Adjust the sac size to the diameter you need.

Thank You! This is just what I've been looking for.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|