The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Nibs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Think-Ink

Think-Ink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 16:45

Hi! So I thought it'd be fun to show the difference between the various calligraphy nibs Lamy has. A black Safari was used for the samples (I swapped nibs each time). It was done on Rhodia paper and with the J Herbin Hematite Rouge 1670 ink.

I'm not a calligraphist by any means (learning though :embarrassed_smile: ) but just thought it could help some people out :)

Posted Image
It's not the best quality (cell phone pic) but I suppose it's good enough :embarrassed_smile:

Personally, my favorite is the 1.5mm nib. I love the line variation on it. The only problem is that it is a little too big for my everyday writing (I do lots of note-taking). The 1.1mm is nice too and is a great everyday writer size... but the line variation isn't quite what I'd prefer.

If Lamy made a 1.3mm, I think it'd hit the sweet spot for me.

For those of you interested in the ink, all three calligraphy nibs showed the greenish-gold shimmer the 1670 is known for (it's a little hard to see on the picture). As would be expected though, the 1.9mm had more shimmer than the 1.5mm which had more shimmer than the 1.1mm.
thINK: my pen & paper blog :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 19:27

Thanks for sharing. Questions about these nibs come up all the time. You could probably get one of the repair men to grind the 1.1 for a finer cross stroke for better variation.

#3 Speedy_Parker

Speedy_Parker

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:31

Excellent. I just ordered the 1.1mm nib from Jetpens this afternoon. I went based on what I'd read about it and your picture confirmed that I got the right thing. Thanks.

#4 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:56

Great comparison of the nibs, thanks very much for this!
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#5 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:25

Nice! One question: does the Safari's grip make it easier to hold the pen on the italics' sweet spot?
Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#6 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:39

Nice! One question: does the Safari's grip make it easier to hold the pen on the italics' sweet spot?

For me, yes, but then I have a textbook grip, so it all feels natural.

It's not so much that it makes it easier for me to hold - I don't tend to roll my pens - as that it means I can pick up the pen and orient it correctly without looking at the nib (or even at the pen, for that matter).

[edit] Another option for anyone looking for an ergonomic grip is the Pilot Plumix/Pluminix/Penmanship, available with a very fine EF nib (Penmanship) or various grades of italic (Plumix or short-bodied Pluminix), though it's hard to find anything about from M. Nibs are swappable with the 78G and one or two others. The grip is more gently contoured and not so steeply tapered. If you don't have a textbook grip, you can twist the Pilot nibs to either side.

The Lamy Nexx has a rubbery, more rounded section than the Safari/Vista/Al-Star and takes the same nibs.

Edited by brunico, 14 April 2012 - 17:56.

#7 Phormio

Phormio

General Secretary of the Soviet Collective of Fountain Pen Users

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 13:53

Very helpful review - thanks
Lots of wants, limited funds!

#8 GregPQ

GregPQ

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:46

Unfortunately your photos are no longer displaying. If you have nothing better to do with your time, would you consider reposting the photos? I have a 1.1mm as a daily writer and have always wondered if I could manage the 1.5mm, since I'd like a little more line variation.

Greg

Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub
Pilot VP w/Binder .6mm stub
Pelikan M200 F

Pelikan M215 Italic
Waterman Phileas

#9 Trece

Trece

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 23:48

Greg, you are using both the Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub and the Waterman Phileas. What nib is in the Phileas, and how does it compare to the Lamy?

Trece

#10 PhatMan

PhatMan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:03

danahn17,

The Lamy nibs are fairly in-expensive, and as a result they are great to practice nib work on.

If you are happy with it, go ahead and customise your nib :)

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

#11 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:35

Thanks for the reviews, the nibs are priced about 20 dollars and have some quality issues I encountered on my 3 nibs. Only one worked without having to manually floss, polish and adjust the flow on. They are perfect pens for sharing with someone who has never written with a nib before without breaking into a sweat while they borrow your medium or high priced pen.
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

#12 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:23

Goulet Pens has them for $13 each.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#13 Fuellerfuehrerschein

Fuellerfuehrerschein

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2013 - 19:43

An image of short writing samples using a Lamy Studio fountain pen and a Lamy T 10 (washable) blue proprietary ink cartridge with Extra Fine (EF), Fine (F), Medium (M), Broad ( B )  line width nibs and 1.1 mm (1.1), 1.5 mm (1.5) and 1.9 mm (1.9) calligraphic stub italic nibs.

Lamy_Fountain_pen_writing_samples_2.jpg

Edited by Fuellerfuehrerschein, 27 October 2013 - 19:45.

#14 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:18

I have different nibs for Lamys. But, I fall into my default nib, which is EF or F.  

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

|