The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Onoto Charles Dickens Nickelby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PeterBeoworld

PeterBeoworld

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 19:01

My Nickleby arrived yesterday resplendent in pearlescent red and tipped with a broad stub custom nib.

Packaging The pen arrived in a modest parcel, inside which was a cardboard outer box with a burr wood inner box lined with velvet containing the certificate of authenticity

. Posted Image
outer-box by mcevedy, on Flickr

In addition, there was some literature, a pen cloth and a couple of small international cartridges, a converter being placed in the pen itself. I feel the box is about right for what is an expensive pen but not over the top.

Posted Image
literature by mcevedy, on Flickr

Appearance Well I didn't pick this pen to be retiring, and it is certainly not!! Bold red pearlescent stripes are interspersed with black acrylic stripes with a thin white pinstripe separating the two. There are four red and 4 black stripes. The cap matches the body and when screwed up, the stripes align. The cap screws on with 3 and a half full turns, which is one full turn more than my wife's Onoto Cambridge. The cap will post and pushes on and stays firmly positioned. The three bands and clip are sterling silver, with the hallmark appearing on the centre band. The button on the end of the body is plain silver with the top of the cap showing the company logo , again in silver. The section is plain black acrylic with a raised rim before reaching the nib. The pen weighs 25g and without the cap is about 15g. The size is identical to my other Magna.

Posted Image
pen-in-box by mcevedy, on Flickr

Nib
The standard nib is a two tone gold plated steel nib, but I ordered the optional 18ct gold nib with a custom broad stub. This is, as expected, very smooth and firm, though with slightly less variation in line than I would have liked. I dare say I will grow to love it though!
Posted Image
nib by mcevedy, on Flickr

Filling This is the standard cartridge converter, and has a good quality converter provided as well as two small international size cartridges. Convenient and easy to clean, if a bit less exciting than the plunger system! A quick sample of doctor's writing!!

Edited by PeterBeoworld, 12 April 2012 - 19:15.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jonst

Jonst

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 13:09

Thanks for the review Peter.

Very nice pen. I am increasingly tempted by an Onoto but I might just wait to see the production version of the Mammoth.

Enjoy

Jon

#3 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2012 - 22:52

Nice review, it looks like a great pen to own. :)
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#4 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 20:32

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#5 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:01

Gorgeous pen! Thanks for the review and pics.

I love my Onoto Magna 261, and am exceedingly tempted by this new line/range. I think I shall prey to the temptation this year sometime...

Ken

#6 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:26

I must admit, I was afraid to look because...well, look at my FPN name. That's usually my reaction Posted Image This looks quite lovely, and I am tempted. Thank you for the review. It's nice to see reviews of Onoto pens popping up. I'm curious about them.
Tamara

#7 Truman

Truman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:20

Beautiful pen! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come! :thumbup:

#8 Postscript

Postscript

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:34

Looked at that as well on my recent trip to London. Even though it was a quick business trip from the US I certainly found time to stop at Pen Friend. Heaven on earth for those of us who are addicted and from the hinterlands BTW.

That pen was very tempting but I had my heart set on a YoL. Yet Onoto won out as I will post soon on the forum.

Fantastic pick-up thanks,

Post Script

#9 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:21

Lovely pen! You have the neatest writing of any doctor I've ever seen. It must be the pen. :)

#10 bayport714

bayport714

A Hardy Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 13:43

Have you grown to love the stub nib?

#11 PeterBeoworld

PeterBeoworld

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:54

The nib is great! The pen is now always in my pocket and is used every day!

#12 DM48

DM48

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:12

The Nickleby is a great looking pen, but then all of the Onoto range are great looking :) The Dickens range is superb with my favourite in the range being the Chuzzlewit - silly name but a lovely looking pen. I suppose it would be a good idea to go to one of the Pen Shows for a closer look. Anyone know when and where the next show will be?

#13 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:00

The Nickleby is a great looking pen, but then all of the Onoto range are great looking :) The Dickens range is superb with my favourite in the range being the Chuzzlewit - silly name but a lovely looking pen. I suppose it would be a good idea to go to one of the Pen Shows for a closer look. Anyone know when and where the next show will be?

Always a good idea to handle a pen if you are interested. The Chuzzlewit is a lovely looking pen and I have one on order - my Christmas present to myself :cloud9: As to the next Pen Show, that will be the South West Show which if my information is correct will be on Sunday 10th February in Bristol. That is one of my favourite Pen Shows along with the Midland Pen Show which usually takes place sometime in June. Only problem with those shows is that one of the organisers who will be nameless (Ian knows who he is :roflmho: ) tries to get some of us inebriated the night before :rolleyes: .

Go along to the South West Pen Show if you can - and if Onoto are there, I am sure that you will soon be the proud owner of a Chuzzlewit shortly afterwards.

Sponsored Content

|