Any Recipes For A Nice Dark Blue Ink?

nottmbantam

If you have ideas about what shades you are looking for, that helps.

Here are some pages I have done.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/12872012_03_17_00_53_25.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/128122012-03-17_cut.png

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/12822012_03_17_00_50_56.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nottmbantam

• The Good Captain

• Uncle Red

• amberleadavis

I like the color combination of mixing Montblanc Royal Blue (4parts) and Montblanc Mystery Black (1part). It makes a nice dark blue.

Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Thanks again for the suggestions - still searching to find the 'perfect' blue.

Received the latest shipment today, Diamine Midnight, which comes up quite nice, just dip tested it with a Parker 51. Out of all the ones I've recently ordered, I prefer the Diamine Majestic and the Diamine Midnight.

This is the list of everything I've bought in the two weeks since I've been back in Blighty:

Blue inks:

Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

Diamine WES Imperial Blue

Diamine Majestic Blue

Diamine Midnight

Other Colours:

Mont Blanc Mystery Black

Diamine Matador

Already have Mont Blanc Midnight Blue, Irish Green, Burgundy Red, Parker Permanent Blue, and Permanent Black. Have tried mixing a few colour combination - might just try the MB Royal Blue and Mystery Black mix when I get back to Saudi ( tomorrow )

On another note, was looking at You Tube yesterday as I was trying to repair an old Pelikan M200 series pen. It had been lying dormat in an old draw for several years. Cleaned it out, but it wasn't taking in any ink. Disassembled the nib, cleaned it out properly, took out all the gunge that had built up, and now it works great!

Also looked at the TWSBI Ink Bottle. Looks cool - wished I had ordered it , but as I'm flying tomorrow, it won't get here. Will have have it shipped to Saudi! Did get my TWSBI Diamond 540 so will be taking that back with me.

I tried a mixture of Sheaffer Blue:Sheaffer Black at a ratio of 9:1. See what you think.

fpn_1334770821__sheaffer_blue-sheaffer_black_copy.jpg

It's the new ink and I think I'll try the Parker/Quink equivalents next.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I'm wondering if something like the Diamine Sargasso Sea (at least when it gets officially released this summer) might meet your requirments. (I'm really waiting on pins and needles for that one).

I've been the sample I got of De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes, which is dark without being blue black; although on some papers it looks more like a really dark teal.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looking at The Writing Desk website, the one that looks exciting is the Private Reserve Electric DC BLue, but t'was sadly out of stock. Anyone tried that ?

"I'm in the UK, and only here for a short while before flying back to the UK"

Do you mean you're in the US and returning home soon? Where are you exactly? How's the Midnight Blue?

I think that's what he means :)

I like Midnight Blue

Edited by Chrissy

you might also want to try De Atramentis Dunkelblau/dark blue. The colour of that ink is exactly what it's name says: dark blue

"We may always know what is right but not always what is possible." - John Ruskin

To me, Levenger Cobalt was always the perfect dark true Navy.

BUT - it's in the US only so not appropriate unless you just stumble on someone here on FPN (but in the UK) who has some they want to sell.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

• 2 weeks later...

I just mixed Heart of Darkness and noodlers blue on a whim and it made an amazing dark blue. I think it was 3/4 black and 1/4 blue but it can't hurt to play around. I was just surprised at the sofisticated dark blue I got.

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Nice wet dark blue black with good lubrication and waterresistancy.

Joop

Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue . . .

+1. Highly saturated, lays down a nice dark line even with EF nibs.

Here's mine:

Diamine Asa Blue + Diamine Sapphire Blue 1:1 = Diamine "Asphire Blue" (my name for it)- my favorite ink!

Omas Blue would have been perfect but there have been issues with it.

Didn't know this. What issues specifically, and have they been addressed by Omas?

• 2 years later...

I am on the hunt for my "every day" inks. I love using blue inks. I have used so many samples of blue inks I could have bought 100 bottles of 30 ML ink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come down to what I feel will be my last order of samples before I decide what I will use on a regular basis. I am at this point certain that my regular ink will be a Blue/Black or really dark blue. So far there are several Blue inks that I think are tremendous and it is hard to get the list down to only three.

At the top of the list are:

1. De Atramentis - Von Zeppelin, although I find that it dries a very different shade than when it's wet. It's almost a vintage appearance. It is a nice dark deep rich blue without any sheen or shine. Just a deep rich velvety Blue ink.
  2. J. Herbin - Blue Nuit, there is something to these J.herbin inks that is so appealing to me. When they dry they have the feeling of vintage ink. It reminds me of my grandmother's writing desk.
  3. Sailor - Blue Black & Blue.- These inks are dark but they dry into a very soft Dark. My only concern is that a reader may not want to read everything written at once because it's so soft on the page.
  4. Private Reserve - American Blue & D.C. Supershow Blue - These inks are very close in hue. They both have great presence on the page. However sometimes I feel that they may be a little too much for an entire page. I like the colors of the ink but at time I find them to be too "in my face", if you get my meaning.
  5. Diamine - Sargasso & Majestic Blue - These inks I call the "Dark Shiners" because of the red sheen remaining when they dry. The Majestic has the most sheen and both of them are very dark but, I do feel that it is definitely TOO much on an entire page and not for business.
  6. Private Reserve - Electric D.C. Blue is a great flowing ink but, I find that it has a purple cast to it and that tends to bother me.
  7. Sailor - Sky Blue. OMG I love this ink; and then they discontinued it!!!!!!!!! I used it for writing to my grand daughter in Colorado. Luckily I have three 3 ML samples left. My son is in the middle of China and I've asked him to keep an eye out for as many bottles of Sky Blue he can find! Don't worry he is also keeping his eye out for Pilots, Platinums and Twisbis. He has already told me they are selling the JInhao "Lamy" want ta bes for close to a dollar. He also sees Parker pens every where but they are $200 dollars and up. Go figure.

Sorry, I got rambling.

I'm sure that all of you can see that I am in trouble with this project. I have to decide on just three inks for my bottled inks. Then I will pick up a sample here and there when I have a special letter to write which requires something other than blue.

In case you hadn't heard, Pure Pens in the UK is now stocking Noodler's:

Noodler's has arrived!

We are delighted to say that we have had our biggest ever delivery of Noodler's inks. We have 3500 bottles of the most popular colours...

Bulletproof:

Black
X-Feather
Prime of the Commons Blue-Black
Lexington Gray
Empire Red
Number 41 Brown
Bad Black Moccasin
Bad Blue Heron
Bad Belted Kingfisher
Bad Green Gator

Super fast drying inks from the Bernanke range in Black, Blue and Blue-Black - Ideal for left handers.

And also Standard inks in...

Purple Wampum,
Apache Sunset and
Eel Gruene Cactus Green

as well as a few other colours that we still had in stock.

Take a look at the INK range HERE

Viseguy

In case you hadn't heard, Pure Pens in the UK is now stocking Noodler's:

Not so much 'now' - more of a restock. I would heartily recommend the 'Prime of the Commons' to all of you who can buy cheaply from the UK. A fabulous ink.

The Good Captain

I am on the hunt for my "every day" inks. I love using blue inks. I have used so many samples of blue inks I could have bought 100 bottles of 30 ML ink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come down to what I feel will be my last order of samples before I decide what I will use on a regular basis. I am at this point certain that my regular ink will be a Blue/Black or really dark blue. So far there are several Blue inks that I think are tremendous and it is hard to get the list down to only three.

At the top of the list are:

1. De Atramentis - Von Zeppelin, although I find that it dries a very different shade than when it's wet. It's almost a vintage appearance. It is a nice dark deep rich blue without any sheen or shine. Just a deep rich velvety Blue ink.
  2. J. Herbin - Blue Nuit, there is something to these J.herbin inks that is so appealing to me. When they dry they have the feeling of vintage ink. It reminds me of my grandmother's writing desk.
  3. Sailor - Blue Black & Blue.- These inks are dark but they dry into a very soft Dark. My only concern is that a reader may not want to read everything written at once because it's so soft on the page.
  4. Private Reserve - American Blue & D.C. Supershow Blue - These inks are very close in hue. They both have great presence on the page. However sometimes I feel that they may be a little too much for an entire page. I like the colors of the ink but at time I find them to be too "in my face", if you get my meaning.
  5. Diamine - Sargasso & Majestic Blue - These inks I call the "Dark Shiners" because of the red sheen remaining when they dry. The Majestic has the most sheen and both of them are very dark but, I do feel that it is definitely TOO much on an entire page and not for business.
  6. Private Reserve - Electric D.C. Blue is a great flowing ink but, I find that it has a purple cast to it and that tends to bother me.
  7. Sailor - Sky Blue. OMG I love this ink; and then they discontinued it!!!!!!!!! I used it for writing to my grand daughter in Colorado. Luckily I have three 3 ML samples left. My son is in the middle of China and I've asked him to keep an eye out for as many bottles of Sky Blue he can find! Don't worry he is also keeping his eye out for Pilots, Platinums and Twisbis. He has already told me they are selling the JInhao "Lamy" want ta bes for close to a dollar. He also sees Parker pens every where but they are $200 dollars and up. Go figure.

Sorry, I got rambling.

I'm sure that all of you can see that I am in trouble with this project. I have to decide on just three inks for my bottled inks. Then I will pick up a sample here and there when I have a special letter to write which requires something other than blue.

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black or if necessary Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Wonderful inks.

The Good Captain