Pilot Parallel Fountain Pens

Nonsensical

While on the subject of the Parallel Pen - please allow me to comment on the parallel pen ink cartridges...

I stick the Parallel colored ink cartridges in the Pilot 78G - they work perfectly. Pilot says to not use the Parallel ink in any other pen for some reason. I can say after long term use, the parallel pen ink has no negative affect on any of my 78G's. I can't say that for any other pen though. The turquoise parallel pen ink is one of my favorites as is the sepia color. When the parallel pen ink cartridges are empty I syringe fill them with regular ink for use with other Pilot pens. The parallel ink cartridges have steel balls in them that work quite well to mix the ink and break surface tension. I just chucked the crappy converters that came with the 78G's and were causing flow problems and now refill the parallel pen ink cartridges.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nonsensical

• Scribble Monboddo

• mknoblauch

• Suku

I recently bought a set as I'm learning calligraphy . But unlike metal dip nibs, I can't get the same thick /thin line that one should see in calligraphy when using the parallel pen. I know about the various angles to hold the pens re: type of script you are practicing , but with the parallel pen all the lines are the same thickness and the ink ( using their cartridges) flows too freely. For example, when making a "u" the up line that joins with the down line on the right should be just a whisper, but it's not. It's the same size as all the other lines. Can anyone shed any light? I am presently working on italic and holding my pen at about 45 degree angle as recommended by Patricia Lovett in her calligraphy online clips . Fantastic videos if anyone is interested. She has recently make a mock Book of Hours for the BBC series on Mandel's 'Wolf Hall.'

And, which is the correct side of the nib to have facing upward with the parallel pilot pen? One side has a little rectangular opening in the plastic piece just above the metal nib. I've tried both ways in case this was the source of my problem, but no difference. The product information did not talk about this.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I have started to learn/ do calligraphy and am using the pilot pens.

I Like to use pens which i can just write with and not have to dip or clean on a regular basis or get mucky fingers.

the pilot parallel pens hit the spot very well. I have the full set of four and generally use the 2.4 and 3.8 nibs. The 1.5 nib is to small. The 6 nib is great to go wild with.

I have watched people use the zig pens or similar but i find i cannot see which way the nib is meant to be, plus the nib goes wrong after a while.

The pilot nibs are easy to see and cannot be damaged.

They are easy and fun to use, I love them

If you watch Brian Goulet's video on the Pilot Parallel pens you will learn that the cheap little converter included with the pen is meant to be used to flush the pen out when changing inks and not meant to be used as an ink converter. That is why some do not fit well. The Con-20 converter holds more ink than the Con-50. I re-fill empty Pilot cartridges with an ink syringe.

One thing I did not see mentioned in these postings is the fact that these Parallel pens can sit for weeks or even months without drying out. Great for someone like me who does not use them that often.

Another thing, they are superb highlighters. Not that easy to use unless you are at a desk or table because you have to hold the nib flat as you draw it along, unlike a felt tip highlighter which is more spongy and forgiving. However, the tip will out last a felt time by years and makes a beautiful uniform highlighted line. Great for boxing in text or passages too.

I don't mind not posting the cap at all. I only post on a pen that does not feel right unposted (Kaweco Sport, TWSBI Mini).

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

• 1 year later...

I just bought this set on amazon for 25.00 buy I am confused as to everyone talking about a converter? Mine did come with a plastic pipette for cleaning buy I got nothing that looked anywhere near a converter? Am I missing something? I am new to the whole fountain pen thing,,

Shymaiden,

some of the Pilot Parallel pens come with the plastic pipette looking thing, and others come with a cleaning converter that can actually be used as an ink converter. Pilot must have changed the configuration of the box and the included items over time, because my set came with both types of boxes. You can order Pilot Con20 converters from Amazon inexpensively. They have a larger capacity than the Con50, although you cannot see inside them. Both will be replaced over time with a new converter called the Con40, but apparently there's still a lot of stock of the old converters still out there for sale.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I just bought this set on amazon for 25.00 buy I am confused as to everyone talking about a converter? Mine did come with a plastic pipette for cleaning buy I got nothing that looked anywhere near a converter? Am I missing something? I am new to the whole fountain pen thing,,

I purchased a 6mm and a 1.5mm from an arts supply store yesterday ... the 1.5mm came with the pipette. The packaging of the 1.5mm is flimsier than the one for 6mm and different from the pictures you see online.

I find the pipette to be far more useful for cleaning the pens the converter-looking one. I will use this on my other Pilot pens.