The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My 1St Danitrio Mikado

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 21:33

Hi, prior to purchasing this pen 2 weeks ago, I have not had any asian pens in my 215 pen stable. However, I do have a Good friend named Doug C. whom does have Nakya's and Danitrio's and showed them to me. I was quite impressed to say the least and just sat on it and thought about it for quite awhile. I also reviewed them here on FPN. And you see, Doug is just what we would not call a collector, he is what we would call a Pen Afficienado. So i trust Doug when he talked about these pens.

Back to my pen; It is a Danitrio Mikado in Kuro - Tamenuri that is a clipless model. It has a Factory Flexible Stub Nib that was tuned by Michael Masuyama.

Posted Image

Right now I am just beyond myself with how Beautiful this instrument writes. In my stable of pens this is by far the nicest writing pen that I have!

Posted Image

SIZE 5/5 - When I first seen the pen in the Beautiful box it came in, I thought OMG, I will never be able to write with that humongus thing. But once I picked it up and started writting it was absoutly a treasure to write with. It fits into my stubby fat hands perfectly.

Weight 5/5 - Again when you first look at it this gigantic pen you would think it is heavier than a bowling ball. But no such luck. It's a feather in comparision to my Visconti Luigi Einandi which is size wise close to the same size as the Danitrio, but weighs a ton.

Nib 5/5 - The nib is comensute with the size of the body of the pen. They did a good job here in not putting a too small nib on a big pen.

Posted Image

Resivoir 5/5 - This baby can load it up! I've been writting for 2 weeks and have not re-filled my Danitrio yet! Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Finish 5/5 - Not a flaw in this baby! And I am flat in love with the color. I read somewhere here in these forums that it will take a full 2 years for the color to completly mature.

This is my 1st review, and I hope I did an ok job with it.

Edited by Chi Town, 07 April 2012 - 22:27.

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Sponsored Content

#2 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:24

Congrats, and nice review. I feel a very strong pull to get the same thing! I think I'm drooling.

#3 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:28

Thank You for your kind words

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#4 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,937 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 23:24

Gorgeous pen and excellent review! Congrats on the new addition; I hope you can use it to write some letters. :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#5 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 00:59

Lovely review for a gorgeous pen! The Danitrio aka tamenuri is sooooooo pretty!

I'm happy for you that you like it so much!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#6 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:45

A very gorgeous pen and I am still jealous.
One question. Did you consider Nakaya before buying the Dani .

Enjoy it as I know you will.
Hex, aka George

#7 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,659 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:27

Looks and writes even better in person. Thanks for sharing the unboxing with me Mike. Enjoy using it, you're going to force me to inking my Nakaya Piccolo . That Doug C is a terror for our wallets, he's forced me into a Nakaya, and a C.S. Levi. You've been arm twisted into a Stipula and a Visconti and a C. S. Levi by Doug haven't you? Jim

#8 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:04

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#9 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:21

Thanks for sharing this. They truly are magnificent pens. I owned a red one. Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#10 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:52

congrats on a nice danitrio :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#11 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:24

Looks and writes even better in person. Thanks for sharing the unboxing with me Mike. Enjoy using it, you're going to force me to inking my Nakaya Piccolo . That Doug C is a terror for our wallets, he's forced me into a Nakaya, and a C.S. Levi. You've been arm twisted into a Stipula and a Visconti and a C. S. Levi by Doug haven't you? Jim

Ha, Ha, Ha Ha yes Jim Doug is tough on our wallets! I think our next plan of action is to get his credit card and go on a pen buying spree, hey? LOL

Mike

#12 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 13:39

Nice review Mike, congrats on the pen. Could we see a writing sample?

#13 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:09

Nice review Mike, congrats on the pen. Could we see a writing sample?

Here is your writting sample. I'm sorry for my poor penmanship.

Posted Image

Mike

#14 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:32

LOVE the writing sample!!!!! I always start with the quick red fox and make the rest up too Posted Image

Oh, and the pen is lovely.

Edited by IWantThat, 19 April 2012 - 22:33.

Tamara

#15 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:58

LOVE the writing sample!!!!! I always start with the quick red fox and make the rest up too Posted Image

Oh, and the pen is lovely.

Ha, Ha Thanks!

Mike

#16 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,659 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:05

Looking good Mike. Did UPS or Fed Ex bring you a box from wine doc today? Anxious to see what kevin sent you. Jim

#17 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:38

Looking good Mike. Did UPS or Fed Ex bring you a box from wine doc today? Anxious to see what kevin sent you. Jim

Actually it came yesterday, Jim

Somewhere along the line I'll do a Pen Review on it......It's frigging HUGE

Mike

#18 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:00

Huge is good. Love huge pens. Can't wait to see. :puddle:

#19 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,659 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:08

Huge for your size hand has to be 7-8" long and close to 2" in Diameter. I thought the Mikado was genormious. I'm curious to see how much bigger the Genkai is. I thought the Mikado had a #10 nib on it. This nib can't be too much bigger can it? Doug C, you are a bad man. between Mike and I we've run up the Neighborhood debt 1000% . We can't afford for you to tempt us with any more pens. Jim

#20 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2012 - 20:18

Huge for your size hand has to be 7-8" long and close to 2" in Diameter. I thought the Mikado was genormious. I'm curious to see how much bigger the Genkai is. I thought the Mikado had a #10 nib on it. This nib can't be too much bigger can it? Doug C, you are a bad man. between Mike and I we've run up the Neighborhood debt 1000% . We can't afford for you to tempt us with any more pens. Jim

I believe the Mikado and Genkai use the same nibs?

Sponsored Content

|